Off season miles? (Read 735 times)

RandomRun

When not training, I run 4 days a week, a total of about 30 miles.  I stick to a schedule as far as which days I run and what time, but other than that I wing it.  If I feel like going fast, I go fast, if I feel like slowing down, I do.  Sometimes I even (gasp!) leave my watch at home. I don't really need a race on the horizon to keep me motivated to run, though.  I run because running makes me happy. 

HappyFeat

I'm with Random - I run because running makes me happy. I run 5 days a week year round, with a weekend long run. I work on improving my speed and my long run distance because that also makes me happy. There is no "season" to it. Enjoy the Gift!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Strict WTF adherent

Anyone else think fly fishing is for sissies?

Wink

Anyone else think fly fishing is for sissies?

Wink

way easier to catch flies with a fly swatter than while fishing.....Big grin

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

I pretty much run 60 or so miles, give or take a few, a week year round. When in a marathon training cycle, I'll up it a bit and throw in tempos and VO2 workouts.

I run year around.  But I'm running mostly for health and fitness.  Plus a marathon once a year for grins and giggles.

I run year around.  But I'm running mostly for health and fitness.  

Same here, just wondering if you runners had any type of running base plan to maintain a certain desired level but sounds like most people just get out and run, which is my personal favorite.

DoppleBock

I will often take a week or 2 of sporadic running followed by running for no reason every day that I can.  Usually this gets me fat and out of shape by January 1st and then I start to train (Training includes eating, hydration, sleep along with running)

January if often good mileage, but only occassional speed.

February the mileage stays up and I start adding speed

March - Increase mileage and regular speed 2-3 times a week

April - Bring mileage down a bit - Increase intensity of speed

May - Race

This year I am changing it up a little and working on leg speed and form Jan-Mar with goal race in August.

Relatively new to RA, so I guess I should start by saying hello. I'm Chris, a runner in the Houston area. Do you use a prescribed schedule/plan, develop your own or wing it when it comes to maintaining your mileage when not in a training cycle?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

ud32

I just posted the below and then noticed this thread - so I'll copy and paste it here:

I too am looking for some guidance on what to do with my running/training over the winter when I have no goal races planned. I am always at a loss for how much running and what pace to run when I am not trainning for anything. I'd like to maintain my running over the winter and if I decide to target a race at any point I could switch from this "maintenance" phase of training into something more specific to a goal race.

I deally, I have found that 4 days of running works best with my personal and work commitments. 25-30 MPW would be my target. I assume this would be a good weekly mileage total to transition into a race specific training program at some point.

Was thinking of the following 4 days schedule:

Long Run: 9-12 miles

Recovery Jog: 3.5 - 4.5 miles

Mid-Week Run: 6-8 miles

Temp Run: 5 - 6.5 miles

Thoughts ?

Thoughts ?

SRD

SRD

Cross

makes sense for the long run to be later, but i ma no exert for sure.

delicate flower

This is my first "off season" and I have actually cranked things up.  I've been averaging about 55 mpw the last two months, up about 10 mpw from the spring and summer.  I've also added two speed days per week, something I completely neglected up until now.  I am trying to build my base while getting a little faster.  My body seems to be handling the load quite well.  I am trying to prepare myself to handle a Pfitz cycle for my Oct 2013 marathon.

It's amazing what this consistency has done to my running lately.  I can just feel my speed and endurance getting stronger.  I'm looking forward to the spring races already (first one's in eight weeks).

<3