A Nameless Hiker and the Case the Internet Can’t Crack (Read 194 times)

written by a fellow runner. 

Maybe someone from RunningAhead came across him in their travels and can help...

https://www.wired.com/story/nameless-hiker-mostly-harmless-internet-mystery/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, how mystifying.  I hope the DNA analysis yields something.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Something so sad! This guy obviously was personable enough, judging from his interactions on the trail, but the fact that no one seems to be missing him is sad! Sad

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I’ve been secretly obsessed with this case bc I had friends hiking the AT at the same time (in the opposite direction), so I was following all kinds of AT-related posts.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
          5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The AT is about three miles from our cabin in the Maine mountains.  We see thru-hikers whenever we go for a walk on it.  Really nice people.  We always take lots of water and granola bars to hand out.  We've hosted a couple of friends of friends who were thru-hikers.  Boy, they eat a lot!

Ghyndui

The article states that those working on the case might know something in December.

Hopefully we can get an update if there more information.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I wonder if he's Canadian. Maybe that's why he didn't show up in the US databases?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I thought the same but I’d imagine one of the contributors would have picked up on a Canadianism.  The obvious ‘eh’, but more subtle phrases or terms that Canadians use without really knowing it (clicks, hydro, washroom, etc). 

I find it real odd that dental records couldn’t trace someone with well kept teeth.

I wonder if he's Canadian. Maybe that's why he didn't show up in the US databases?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Kalsarikännit

The AT is about three miles from our cabin in the Maine mountains.  We see thru-hikers whenever we go for a walk on it.  Really nice people.  We always take lots of water and granola bars to hand out.  We've hosted a couple of friends of friends who were thru-hikers.  Boy, they eat a lot!

Thank you!  Trail angels are the most amazing part of doing the long distance hikes.  It never stops being amazing that people are so good.  I feel like it always restored my faith in people and in turn made me a better person.

MTA:  And yeah, I’ve calculated that town days can be around 10,000 calories in a 24 hr span.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

GinnyinPA

Mystery solved:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/12/the-mystery-of-deceased-hiker-mostly-harmless-is-at-long-last-solved/?fbclid=IwAR3omg_txoMEV9mTiqSUbQGKwoysvq5xjphohmhPW17ADMavcYN553Ovi_A

BoutWorkout

Wow, how mystifying.  I hope the DNA analysis yields something.

I agree. I think DNA is the best way to yield results.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mystery solved:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/12/the-mystery-of-deceased-hiker-mostly-harmless-is-at-long-last-solved/?fbclid=IwAR3omg_txoMEV9mTiqSUbQGKwoysvq5xjphohmhPW17ADMavcYN553Ovi_A

Wow. Still a sad story but I'm glad they've identified him.

Half Fanatic #9292.