What are your hobbies? (Read 255 times)

kk_kittenkat

Other than running, how do you like to spend your down time?

I love to read and I'm making a mosaic at the moment. My guilty little secret is Lego, but that's fine I've got kids as a cover up excuse for that. Next purchase is going to be the Lego Simpsons House.

jfa

Sailing.

Between trying to find time for sailing and marathon training, my lawn is a complete mess.

Oh well. At least it's hidden from the neighbor's view.

Menace to Sobriety

Photography, golf, fishing, boating. There'd be more if it weren't for this pesky job.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Playing guitar/singing and taking actuarial exams. Well... failing actuarial exams

---Before running, I used to have a lot of hobbies.  And all of them in an attempt to get into the guinness book of world records.

First, I collected used Lottery Tickets.  Amassed over 40,000 all-different tickets, no duplicates, from most US states and many foreign countries.

(Once I learned that the Guinness record was an avid collector who had over 120,000, I let that collection go.)

Then I tried "Gift Cards".  The little plastic cards you see at all the stores.   I amassed a collection of over 5,000 all different... But record holder way ahead of me at over 15,000 and I let that collection stop.  (Still have all these cards, anyone want?!)

Then I collected Fortune Cookie Fortunes.  I have a spreadsheet catalogued collection of over 2,000 all different Fortunes.  (I bet you didn't know there were that many?!  But Guinness does not currently have this listed as one of their categories, so they refused to make this a new record.  I Still have that collection though, but it fits in a 4 inch by 4 inch by 12 inch plastic cube, so not like it is taking up much space to keep it... :-) )

Then I heard about Potato Chip Bags.  A guy got in the Guinness book with a collection of 583 all different Potato chip bags about a decade ago.   I decided to try for this, and ended up amassing over 1.400 all-different potato chip bags.  (Who knew there were so many different).... Sent my numbers off to Guinness and some folk in Europe (a Potato Chip Museum actually) has over 2,200 in their collection and probably still growing.

--- Sooo, I kept the last 2 hobbies, but have given up on the rest.    -- I got into running, so that has erased my interest mostly of collecting anything material in any way.    All I do now is try to improve on my (non record setting) PR's.  And have a little fun with other fellow racers. :-)

Good news is even though I will never get into the Guinness book with running, I enjoy it more.

And sorry about the rant on hobbies, but........ you asked... :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Still kicking

Cycling, and lifting. I'm also a musician in a local band. My wife and I also do Greyhound rescue and adoption.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

strength training, kayaking, hiking & camping & we did Papillion rescue/adoption for awhile before our current household situation changed.   spend alot of time on keeping house & yard in order but thats not really a hobby even though I enjoy it (most of the time). just needs to get done.  in fact spent part of the day today (day off from work) locating & then digging out the drain tanks for our septic system which is overloaded & has issues.  not part of the fun part of homeownership!!

kk_kittenkat

---Before running, I used to have a lot of hobbies.  And all of them in an attempt to get into the guinness book of world records.

First, I collected used Lottery Tickets.  Amassed over 40,000 all-different tickets, no duplicates, from most US states and many foreign countries.

(Once I learned that the Guinness record was an avid collector who had over 120,000, I let that collection go.)

Then I tried "Gift Cards".  The little plastic cards you see at all the stores.   I amassed a collection of over 5,000 all different... But record holder way ahead of me at over 15,000 and I let that collection stop.  (Still have all these cards, anyone want?!)

Then I collected Fortune Cookie Fortunes.  I have a spreadsheet catalogued collection of over 2,000 all different Fortunes.  (I bet you didn't know there were that many?!  But Guinness does not currently have this listed as one of their categories, so they refused to make this a new record.  I Still have that collection though, but it fits in a 4 inch by 4 inch by 12 inch plastic cube, so not like it is taking up much space to keep it... :-) )

Then I heard about Potato Chip Bags.  A guy got in the Guinness book with a collection of 583 all different Potato chip bags about a decade ago.   I decided to try for this, and ended up amassing over 1.400 all-different potato chip bags.  (Who knew there were so many different).... Sent my numbers off to Guinness and some folk in Europe (a Potato Chip Museum actually) has over 2,200 in their collection and probably still growing.

--- Sooo, I kept the last 2 hobbies, but have given up on the rest.    -- I got into running, so that has erased my interest mostly of collecting anything material in any way.    All I do now is try to improve on my (non record setting) PR's.  And have a little fun with other fellow racers. :-)

Good news is even though I will never get into the Guinness book with running, I enjoy it more.

I just love this.

kk_kittenkat

Cycling, and lifting. I'm also a musician in a local band. My wife and I also do Greyhound rescue and adoption.

<------------- Rescue dog

The Pocatello Kid.

you seem like someone who would be fun to go for a long run with. I'm fairly certain you would have some interesting stories.

BeeRunB

Was that you in episode 57 of Hoarders?

Awesome.

you seem like someone who would be fun to go for a long run with. I'm fairly certain you would have some interesting stories.

-- My stories about overseas with the USN are probably more interesting :-)  And I do love long runs....

-- On the "Hoarders" comment by someone else, you'd be surprised to know i am a m "minimalist" in all other things.  All these cards for example are in binders and fit on one bookshelf.   I'm the clean freak of the house. "If in Doubt, Throw it out!" I say.    Well, except for used Potato Chip Bags?... 

A last note, my favorite Fortune Cookie Fortune I ever got was incredibly true:  ""You are about to become $8.95 Poorer, $6.95 if you had the buffet".

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Climbing, Rock and ice, hiking too.

#artbydmcbride

Climbing, Rock and ice, hiking too.

Somehow I expected different hobbies from you....

Runners run

BeeRunB

"what-iffing" has been a life long passion