Desk Jockeys (Read 491 times)

What do you all do to stay limber between runs? I

• Drink a lots of water, partly to keep my self up and around;
    • Self-massage at desk;
    • Get up and stretch (as much as I try to keep good posture, I eventually hunch, especially on late nights) ;
    • Do eccentric calf raises in the stairwell; and
    • Keep a Prostretch calf stretcher by my desk ( I have the Stick, but it doesn't work well with work clothes).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

As crazy as it sounds, I was able to accelerate the healing of a bad foot injury I got almost a year ago simply by staying on my feet most of the day. I put my Macbook on top of a cardboard box on my desk in my dormitory room, and would do homework at that while standing up. Between that and walking to classes, etc., I was on my feet for maybe 12-14 hours a day for several months before I was able to run again. Oddly enough, before switching to standing, the healing process didn't seem to be getting anywhere, even when I just did the exercises the physiotherapist gave me.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Best Present Ever

I just ordered a stand-up desk so I don't have to sit on my backside all day long -- I'll report back on how that works for me when I get it.

Dave

You could always get a treadmill desk like Al Roker

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

mikeymike

I don't have a stand up desk but I do stand a lot when on on the phone. And I drink a lot of water.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

You could always get a treadmill desk like Al Roker

I kind of have one....although I have to take it down to run on the TM so it isnt up right now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why would I want to stay limber between runs?

Feeling the growl again

As much as I drink water and try to get up often, IMHO a lot of the issues I am dealing with now are related to the amount of time I have to spend sitting at a desk.  We have a few of the treadmill workstations around, but given what I do it is not practical to go to where they are and use them and they are very popular so it can be hard to get on one.

We put in for one when we moved locations awhile ago, but the request got denied.

One of my coworkers has a keyboard tray that pivots out and up to standing workstation height, and a movable arm to raise her monitor.  I am going to try and get one of those.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

"run" "2" "eat"

when i am at my desk, i stretch my imagination.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

bhearn

I use a GeekDesk. Stand most of the time, sit when I feel like it.

bhearn

when i am at my desk, i stretch my imagination.

Is that a static or a dynamic stretch?

"run" "2" "eat"

definitely dynamic.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

L Train

sugnim

I go for a walk at lunch, do balancing exercises at the copy machine, and I have one of these under my desk.  I'd love a standing desk or treadmill desk, but this was 20 bucks & has lasted over 2 years now.

MrNamtor

In between writing code I argue with people on the internet. The muscular tension and increased heart rate keeps me more than ready for my next work out.