1st race tip? (Read 5779 times)

Lainey

Love the humor and advice...great post JK.  First race this weekend. Lainey
    Lainey Dyer

A Saucy Wench

I looked up this thread for a friend running her first race this weekend.  I still think JK's tips is the best post ever on RA.  Post of the century.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I looked up this thread for a friend running her first race this weekend.  I still think JK's tips is the best post ever on RA.  Post of the century.

Absolutely agree, it's a classic that needs to be bumped periodically.  The big ape lives on.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

she runs like a girl

Absolutely agree, it's a classic that needs to be bumped periodically.  The big ape lives on.

I especially like his point about stopping to walk while taking a drink. I am always that person wearing half of their water... which is much worse when it is gatorade!

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
          Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

JK's response needs to be posted on its own FB or blog or something. It is perfect!

TRUST THE PROCESS

I vote the moderator of this thread post JK's list/advice as a sticky.........something that provides value to so many of us and also makes us laugh since it is OH SO TRUE!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

35. Use good birth control the night of (if you still have energy.)

Ver y Very unexpected but much loved third child turned up on cue 40 weeks after my first race. Just saying.

Love the advice - read it before my first race two years ago. Finally post baby am going to do a half in October.

Purdey

Self anointed title

post JK's list/advice as a sticky.........something that provides value to so many of us and also makes us laugh

'tis done.

Swashbuckles

Swashbuckles by name....

35. Use good birth control the night of (if you still have energy.)

Ver y Very unexpected but much loved third child turned up on cue 40 weeks after my first race. Just saying.

Love the advice - read it before my first race two years ago. Finally post baby am going to do a half in October.

LOL!  I love this thread.... the baby thing - I think thats the post-race addrenaline lurrrvvvving feeling?  This is amplified (I am positive) the further distance the race is.....  maybe they should filter men and women off in separate directions when they come through the Finish line for population control.

One thing I would say is in your first race....not to wear an IPod....2 reasons.... well 3 thinking about it.  Firstly, organisers are banning these in a lot of races (in the UK anyway) and they are pretty distracting to other racers ....especially if your music taste is crap.  Second reason, you really want to experience 'the race', don't drown out the crowds cheering you on, and the sound of breathing and feet sweeping the ground, the odd few words exchanged between racers....its all part of the memory, plus if its hot and some kind local resident is spraying the runners with a garden hose (this is where I had an epic fail in one of my first races) ....you don't want to ruin your equipment!  Third reason.... it could ruin your pacing, depending on the bpm of the tracks you listen to, but you dont want to burn out as you get to a really powerful track that gets you really pushing (something like Killing in the Name Of by RATM) just as you get to a huge fraking hill in the race....... you could seriously do some damage! 

I think JK should get that post printed out and framed ...I'm going to pin it on my board at work! Big grin   

....The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the OTHER people.

Confessions of a Runaholic
                    5km - 21.40 mins (Coventry Parkrun May 2010)
                    10km - 43:50 (Oxford Town and Gown 10km May 2010)
                    Half Mara - 1:36:14 (Tewkesbury Half May 2010)
                    Marathon - 3:41:54 (Amsterdam Oct 2009)
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I vote the moderator of this thread post JK's list/advice as a sticky.........something that provides value to so many of us and also makes us laugh since it is OH SO TRUE!!

I did.  Long long ago.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/1e41363b5b9e4f44add20af7caf1f689

kmarie4

spam