5k then 10k a week later? (Read 522 times)

First post, so please bear with me. What's the wisdom on running a 5k a week before a 10k for someone at my fitness level. I've been running somewhat inconsistently for about 14 years. I've been running a consistent 20 MPW since April and recently bumped up to 25 MPW with no ill effects. My short term goal is a sub 50 min 10k. I ran a very conservative 56:37 in May after about 6 weeks of decent running and while recovering from strep throat. My plan is to get a solid 25 MPW base (running 5 times per week with a 8-9 mile long run, and one tempo/interval run) by the end of July and keep at it and run a goal race in Oct. in cool fall weather. With my wife and 2 small kids out of town, I will have the luxury of two free weekends to race the last weeks of August. I was thinking of running a 5k on the first free weekend (my last 5k was 12 years ago so pacing will be an issue) but I'm concerned that I will overdo it and have a horrible 10k the next weekend. Am I asking for trouble running two races with 6 days in between to recover?
      I don't think it should be a problem. See how you feel.

Vim

Hannibal Granite

Shouldn't be a problem

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I say go for it!
          - Tony

A Saucy Wench

should be ok, recovery from a 5K doesnt take that long usually

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a shot.
              MikeB-BoR

I'm in a similiar situation. I had been training for a HM on the 26th and have decided to run a 10.4k race tommorow night because lots of my friends are. I'm figuring since I usually do my longs each weekend anyway and I won't push myself too hard I should be fine for the HM. Or...at least I hope so... Mike

Goals :
                •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

In general, your training in the weeks and months prior to these races will dictate your performance. So, even if you blow a gasket in the 5k, you'll be well recovered for the 10k. Pacing is key for the 10k. Heck, I've run all out in a 5k and PR'ed and then PR'ed in a 10k the following weekend, then ran a good 5k the next weekend. For me, the weather a more a factor than recovery in such cases.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

In general, your training in the weeks and months prior to these races will dictate your performance. So, even if you blow a gasket in the 5k, you'll be well recovered for the 10k. Pacing is key for the 10k. Heck, I've run all out in a 5k and PR'ed and then PR'ed in a 10k the following weekend, then ran a good 5k the next weekend. For me, the weather a more a factor than recovery in such cases.
                    True, but it's really hard to maintain a peak like that for any longer than that. It hurts, anyway. You just made me remember walking on to university XC less than a year after I started running.