Taken out by a car, lessons learned (Read 1670 times)

Glad you survived.

First your running went to shit, now your biking went to hell AND no swimming from the stitches. They say bad things come in threes, so hopefully for you and your family, the three are taken care of with the swim/bike/run combo.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glad you survived.

First your running went to shit, now your biking went to hell AND no swimming from the stitches. They say bad things come in threes, so hopefully for you and your family, the three are taken care of with the swim/bike/run combo.

Hmmm...X, time to take up rowing?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

Sounds wicked scary! So glad you seem to be OK.

Robin

That's Ms Squeak to you!

+1, many times, to so many of the above posts!

I got scary-chills running down my back when I read the bit about your helmet and your head hitting the ground. I always wear a helmet even though I'm a bit of a girly-girl and don't like them much. Recently got around this by purchasing a Yakkay which has a hat over the top, they're pretty cute and you can change the hat covers or if you're creative you can make your own. But wouldn't be without one, and stories like yours make me feel so glad that I do take the precaution every single time.

I think you've made so many good points that I linked the top of this post to facebook to share with my several hundred friends, especially the helmet thing!

Incidentally, Australia has a requirement to be cleared by a medical doctor annually to drive after the age of 75, and annual driving tests after 85. Not a bad idea, personally I'd like to see the driving tests brought forward so it starts at a younger age, but I suppose the cost and administration issues would make it difficult. I really liked the idea of the anonymous reporting, a mostly-conflict-free way of addressing the issue with someone who just wont surrender the keys.

So glad to hear you're ok, and will be hoping you don't have any permanently busted bits on your bod.

x

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

been offline and just getting caught up.

Glad you made it with minimal damage X. I have to agree with the need for periodic testing, even as I approach senior senior citizen stage (am only at senior stage,,, LOL). So far I am paying attention to my night driving skills and think they are declining already. just a bit, especially in bad weather. Getting harder to make out road marking at night when it is raining. So I have been minimizing that situation as much as possible. Have been thru having an elderly father (at senior senior stage...) who we learned should have been off the road, but not until he was hospitalized recovering from bypass surgery and finding out he he was in stage 4 of Alzheimer's. Mom was in bad denial and brother who lived close enough and worked nights wasn't in a position to observe the decline. Mom told us he would forget how to get from point a to point b if there was a detour. She used that fact that he was still winning at poker as evidence that he could still drive... wonder what goes thru our heads. If he was tested his license would have been pulled. We never had to pull his license because he didn't make it out of the convalescent home before passing. I moved close to my youngest and retired and hope I am thoughful enough in 10-20 years to give up my license when necessary.

As to helmets - have to ditto the need for those - I put a bike down (Honda 90) on base back in 1966 - missed a turn, slammed into a telephone poll, went over the handle bars, parted company with bike which went one way while I skidded on head and back until I hit another telephone pole! I was in a tuck thanks to having played judo and doing gymnastics as a teenager. But helmet still had 1/2 dollar sized skid mark, back pockets were torn off my pants, and jacket had linear rips in it. Taught me two lessons - always where the dang helmet and don't drink and drive! I had gotten drunk at the club with a buddy who had just returned from Vietnam while I was getting ready to go back in a week or so.

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hmmm...X, time to take up rowing?

... with your current... experience... maybe not...

Wink

Glad you are OK.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

... with your current... experience... maybe not...

Wink

Glad you are OK.

As long as he doesn't row where there are sharks he should be OK...I think.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't take up hang gliding or parasailing, either...

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or paddleboarding...but mostly because the thought of it has my heart in my throat.

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

Wow, Chris, that sux.  Glad to hear you're doing at least okay - that could have been so much worse.

xhristopher

Wow, Chris, that sux.  Glad to hear you're doing at least okay - that could have been so much worse.

Thanks, Jeff. I thought about your friend this week. I'm very fortunate.

On my end the pain is trending away very slowly and I'm very fatigued. Yesterday I had a bit of a surreal day. I called my dr for a followup and found he was gone for the week. They recommended that I go to the walk in clinic if I wanted to be seen. Figuring it would be nice to talk it over with a doctor and get some reassurance that what I was experiencing was normal (and to get more meds so I can sleep!) off I went. Right after triage the sent me straight to the ER!  CT scan, chest x-rays, EKG, IV, bloodwork, chest CT, and more exams are what followed! I didn't expect to be gone the whole day. In short, I'm ok. I've just got head to toe (literally) muscle and bone trauma and bruising on top of the visible stuff. The doctor told me I have very strong bones. I'll be ok. It's just going to take time. My pain management regime needed to be upped. I'm on day 7 of an unending headache but can sleep better knowing nothing serious has been overlooked.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...I'm surprised all of those tests weren't run from the get-go.  Glad to hear that everything checked-out OK.  Could the headache be a mild concussion?  Hope the pain keeps decreasing.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

The doctor told me I have very strong bones.

Starting with the one on top, fortunately.  Wink

Yes, it does seem a little odd that they wouldn't have at least run a head CT or something right after the crash.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You'll ruin your knees!

Starting with the one on top, fortunately.  Wink

Yes, it does seem a little odd that they wouldn't have at least run a head CT or something right after the crash.

...particularly with the helmet damage!!! Glad to hear you passed all your tests!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xhristopher

Wow...I'm surprised all of those tests weren't run from the get-go.

I did get a CT scan the night of the accident, x-ray on my hand too. They wouldn't un-immobilize me until they did the scan. The board they strapped me to was uncomfortable, especially in the ambulance. Someone who used to be a PT told me that a CT immediately after and a couple days after can yield different results. I'm not sure if this is true or not but I didn't mind the second check on my head and neck.

The crazy thing is that people keep asking me about my hand because it's visible and obvious. Relative to the rest of me, despite some 10 cuts and two fingers stitched closed, it doesn't really hurt.