Marathon Lodging -- pool? (Read 743 times)

Maniac

There was actually a little article in RW this month about it.... It says to take a cold bath (or an ice bath) first, and then if you still want to, you can take a warm bath for relaxation (but for no longer than 10 minutes). As others have said, the cool/cold/ice bath is to reduce inflammation and to help with the healing process. The warm bath is just to make yourself feel better.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Scout7

Never did the ice bath thing. Never saw a need for it. That's what recovery runs are for. Why pay for a pool? You're probably not going to be all that interested in getting into one when you're done. Besides, by the time you get back it will be well past the useful stage. Unnecessary expense that won't do you a lick of good.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I usually opt for a place near the start line so I can sleep a little longer, and use the bathroom Smile . I find nothing worse than having to ride a bus for 30-45 minutes and then wait for the gun. Hot tub a terrible after a race- the rush of blood to already swollen/fatigued muscles does more harm than good. imo. Good luck in whatever you decide.

left-right-left-right-repeat

Go Pre!

I've heard a hot tub is a TERRIBLE idea after a marathon. Your legs are pretty inflamed from the marathon effort and the hot tub actually makes it worse. Not to mention the hot tub actually dehydrates you a bit, which is not what you're looking for either. http://walking.about.com/od/marathontraining/a/marathonwalk21.htm I just ran a HM and went in the hotel pool and it was very nice. Not quite an ice bath, but it was cool and my legs felt pretty good.
          They say no hot tub after the marathon...but I did, although it was about 33 hours laer and I did have an ice bath. I also did not have a hot tub after last marathn and legs felt worse...so...who knows. Oh, and as for dehydration, just add an additional few glasses of water to your post run intake. D