2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Jim E

Hey Well Done Darkwave!

Yes that was me at the halfway point with a "Guide" bib on watching you go by,  I glanced at my watch and realized you were gunning for sub-3. I'm glad I witnessed that. I momentarily blanked on your real name and gasped out a "Hey!"

What was I doing? That bib was a clue. I had another crack at this sighted guide thing, only "officially" this time. It was a blast. When I volunteered for it, I was snapped up right away by the guy who organizes the CIM guides, for himself! He was shooting for a 3:20, (a time we are familiar with), but admitted that was a stretch goal and he would be happy with 3:25. He got 3:21:22, so pretty decent IMO. I must be getting the hang of this thing since according to the results we passed 338 runners while I was guiding in the second half, and we missed all of them, No stumbles either. His first half guide, young (by my standards) Heidi from Houston, continued to run with us in the second half and got us water at the aid stations, which was great. I had been nervous of that aspect of it. She had a race bib on, and picked up a BQ as a side benefit.  She was describing the scenery to us, which was nice because I was watching the road. Tonight I will dream of potholes.

What is that world like? The guides are an enthusiastic bunch, to put it mildly. One woman is from Paradise, CA (yes, THAT Paradise), has had a horrific couple of weeks, but came anyway. Another guide, a curly-haired fellow by the name of Scott Jurek, guided one of the faster runners in the first half, schmoozed with us for a few minutes, then set off to run the rest of it, because of course.  He had a huge grin on his face the whole while. Yup, having a blast.

I got talking to a blind woman (and her dog) on the bus. She was running a relay leg, has recently started running, and wants to run the full next year. She's a treadmill jockey, not having found a guide yet. Then she discovered that we live about two miles apart, and I do some coaching. Contact info was exchanged. I am doomed.

Well, maybe I will post some more, you never know.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

thanks, friends, for following along! i ran with dwave for the first few moments, which was lovely, kinase (who has been off the boards for a few years, but is a good friend on my running team and frequently outkicks me in races!) for the first 19 miles, and a different teammate from 17-24ish. ended up not going with strict pace goals but just trying to get that confidence performance out, figure out how it's supposed to feel (after a "traumatic" one last year). was flitting in and out of 3:10 group (big group, kinda annoying) and was fine with letting them pass (around 15?) to keep the effort in check, since sub-3:10 was like an A++ day concept. really hit rhythm and things felt relaxed most of the way. there's a small bridge at 20 where I was as good as dead last year, but this time i was in control and being rational and all of that stuff. my hamstrings got pretty bad a bit later so i did slow a bit in the last couple miles (mile 26 was the hardest 7:45 i've ever run!) but we "banked" enough time (not really; that doesn't work) to still pull out a great one. 3:12:58. PR by 7:01. excellent day!!!!!

and Jim! kinase spotted you at one point when she and i were together - i think when you were waiting for your runner to come in. I was too late to say hi, but glad you were out there and lending a helping hand again!!! so incredible!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Arvind Balaraman

hearty congrats DWAve. Incredible splits

Hearty congrats to RLK and CB

mattw4jc

Jim  - That's really cool. I know of a lady that guides at that New England race in April. I would think crowded races like that would be tricky to guide.

RLK - excellent race! It's definitely a confidence booster to feel strong in the late miles. Congrats on the big PR!

DW - we'll miss you now that you are a sub-3 marathoner. Will you even see this I wonder? Ha! Congrats on putting an exclamation point on a great training cycle. You executed that race well.

berylrunner

Rick

Congrats to the CIM runners.  Well Done!

A sluggish start to the week but kicked it in.  88 miles.  A long run of 20 with a stride every mile.  Two workouts that went very well (One MP run and one of intervals).  Finished with some hills at altitude.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CIM - YESSSS!!! So many awesome performances!

Jim - Being a guide sounds both awesome and scary.

RLK - Hitting mile 20 and not feeling dead is a big deal! Being rational and in control is even better. Awesome job.

DWave - Damn! Please don't abandon us for the fast thread.

After not quite as much of a break as I would have liked I dusted off the legs and did a bunch of 200s this morning. My MIL has gotten me an entry into the Chisholm Trail Marathon in late March, so it's back to training on roads for almost everything now, which I am psyched about. No more tempos on the track!!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DWave - Damn! Please don't abandon us for the fast thread.

DWave is faster than any of us on the Sub 3 thread. She deserves her own thread.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Joann Y

DWave is faster than any of us on the Sub 3 thread. She deserves her own thread.

I've hesitated to delurk and post but I can't help it. Really nice racing CIM runners! And dwave, I am mightily impressed! Congrats all!

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwav hearty congratulations

rlk Your race this year sounds similar to my 3:13 in 2016. The packs can be annoying. Glad you were able to let the A++ Goal go and have an awesome race. Feel like you were "in control of your body" the whole time? I will say I was SLIGHTLY scared when I saw the mild slowdown at 30K just because of last year. Congratulations on getting into 4/20/20.

jim awesome story. Glad you're so highly recruited.

keren can you bottle up some of that energy for me? It's going to br 37F for my run today, I'm WAY behind ace and I lack ALL ambition to run. I'm even giving away my treadmill because after 20 minutes I decided walking was logical and 3 miles was far enough. Maybe I'll get into cycling. Trail marathon then the April marathon? crazy man. Aren't you contemplating the 50 miler back to back thingy too?

jmac maybe starting the Sub 3:20 thread grants magical powers. She DID finish 3 marathons.

cim Buddy qualified. Didn't know he qualified by 3 minutes until I told him. I'm unsure if he will run 4/20/20 because I don't know if he ever wanted to. I got him into road marathons and I believe this was his third. I told him there is something magical about CIM. Looks like I was right.

running sucks. I almost signed up for Revel but I'm afraid of training (picking a plan) and an all downhill race. The weather is getting colder and work is playing mental games with me taking the joy of running away from me. It's just work. Where is that "Re-Run $89" special for CIM 2019? Since max is doing WS I'll have to get into marathon shape. I have no idea what his plans for me are (axe murder) and I'm sure he'll keep me in suspense until June 30, 2019. I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe I'll bring him some almond milkshake chai mandarin hazy imperial IPA for motivation around Forresthill. Silver State Striders RUN that aid station. They'll knock some sense into him.

My Week:

M-F: Cough building, didn't feel like testing it, work bothering me. 0.0

Sa 0.0

Su: Franticly looking at the phone everytime a text message popped up. Wanting to tell people not to text me. Waiting 45 minutes to get the next update while thinking "they're doing fine. It's going to be 45 minutes. Why haven't I been updated yet. Isn't live tracking a thing?"  for everyone.

I'm going out for 6.5. Fed up with work (policy changes with no doumentation type stuff, we don't want a new way of doing stuff, etc.) and I have an interview Dec. 11 for a position I'd LOVE to get (lab job) along with waiting on an application submitted Friday. It's going to be an interesting December/January. Marathon training won't wait around and if I'm serious about getting into 4/20/20 I can't let work bother me, fitness escape me, or training slack.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

darkwave and rlk_117 - congrats on awesome races guys! What a great day for you both! Didn't see rlk but as I mentioned in another thread, dwave looked so string when she passed me at around mile 9 - that is always great to see!

seattlemax - I hate you man! Smile It was too early for you to win in the lottery but you still rudely chose to pick it up. Though, for 11 people who didn't win in the lottery for 7th year in a row it was obviously even harder. Just crazy...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Just dropping in to congratulate Darkwave on the great race and fast time, well done!

2:52:16 (2018)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- rerun should be soon? i'm not signing up... ha!

I think from the splits you got it looked like a bigger fade than it was. Did a lot of 7:14-:21 type splits early on, so in the last few miles when they were more like 7:29 it was certainly a small fade, but not bad, nothing like last year Smile  Didn't look at my watch at all during it - was just pushing as hard as I could. A lot of effort spent running in a straight line, ha.

sorry you weren't feeling well, but hopefully today's run is good!

joann- welcome!

max- congrats! I'm putting June 29th weekend on my calendar.

dwave- tears!! well-earned. huge congrats.

calbears- great job to you too! I know you wanted sub3, but given the buildup I think you should be pumped about the result which was close. Plus, it's all so much better than being injured and not running. Smile

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- rerun should be soon? i'm not signing up... ha!

max- congrats! I'm putting June 29th weekend on my calendar.

You say this but I have a suspicion you're coming to CIM 2019. Oh and update your signature. Looks like they changed the rules. Previously (2015) it was $89 today. It's pushed back to Sunday PROBABLY because of runners like you.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Oh and update your signature.

okkkk fine

Big grin

Pesto

Just dropping by to congratulate DkW and rlk on amazingly run races and huge PRs. When you've been running a while like you two, shaving 5 and 7 mins off your PRs at that level is quite remarkable! Very well deserved, you both had great cycles.

Jim, it's nice to hear from you and very cool stuff about guiding.

Me - similar to brew, still struggling to find the time and motivation to run in the cold. My highest mpw over the last 7 weeks is 25. That's just sad. Anyway, I'll try to pick it up this week. I've been saying this for 3 weeks now though.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)