Autism Speaks Charity (Read 718 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My little nephew is autistic and the difficulties in finding support and continued funding for his therapy have been a real struggle for my sister. Recently she attended a rally at the capitol in Madison, WI to try to convince lawmakers to not cut funding for research and therapy for autistic kids. In the couple of years since he was diagnosed he has made such amazing progress--at age 4.5 he is starting to talk and communicate. Without the therapy it is likely that he would not be where he is, but he still needs daily therapy, year-round. Autism Speaks created a music video of the Five For Fighting song, "World", which features images of autistic children and their families. The band is generously donating $0.49 to Autism Speaks for each time the video is viewed and the winning charity will receive a special prize (there are several others on the site.) When you have a moment, please visit the link below to watch the video and pass it along to your friends and family. They are aiming for 10,000 hits, but hopefully we can help them to surpass this goal. Please click this link and watch the video to help raise the funds for Autism. click Thanks!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks for posting this. I have a cousin who is a probable autistic, and I wish so badly that a) these programs were around 20 years ago and b) my stupid head-in-the sand relatives would have stopped saying things like "Timmy's just a little slow," and gotten him some real help when it could have made a difference. Best of luck to your sister and nephew. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

my stupid head-in-the sand relatives would have stopped saying things like "Timmy's just a little slow," and gotten him some real help when it could have made a difference. Best of luck to your sister and nephew. Smile
        Oh, that is so sad. I know that Soren is anything but slow. Between my son, my sister's other son, and Soren...I think Soren is probably the most gifted of the boys. He definitely has some amazing abilities when it comes to memory and written words. He was initially diagnosed as moderately autistic, but we're starting to think that he may eventually be reassessed as only mildly autistic. Without the therapy he has received I am certain that would not be the case. k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

clicked it. if they are ever in Hawaii or California check out Surfers Healing . The smiles that i've seen on the kids' faces when they are on the waves...pure stoke. mod - they have some camps in the right coast as well, new jersey, new york and north carolina..
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Steve, that camp looks REALLY cool! I will forward that along to my sister, though I doubt that's anything she could ever make use of, personally. But she can share the link with her son's therapist. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for the link! I'll definetly be passing it on! We're looking at a possible diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrom for my son Frankie. I know it's not the same as being Autistic but I can understand some of your sisters struggles.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We're looking at a possible diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrom for my son Frankie. I know it's not the same as being Autistic but I can understand some of your sisters struggles.
                It's still on the spectrum of Autistic disorders, though. Makes parenting extra challenging! One thing that intrigues me is the possibility that Autism and ADHD might both be genetic--there are some who already categorize the disorders together as related. The fact that my sister and I both have boys with these disoders makes me wonder if there is some familial link. My brother has no children, but someday hopes to. It will be interesting to see if his future kids ever have any issues. k

~ Sarah Kay

OH I definetly think they can be geneticly related !! I really believe I would of been diagnosed as ADHD if I was a kid again. Crap I could probably be diagnosed with it as an adult.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OH I definetly think they can be geneticly related !! I really believe I would of been diagnosed as ADHD if I was a kid again. Crap I could probably be diagnosed with it as an adult.
                    Ha, me too! I'm about the most disorganized, distractable person on the planet. Going off on tangents during a phone conversation is pretty much standard for me. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Going off on tangents during a phone conversation is pretty much standard for me.
                      During threads too. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

During threads too. Clowning around
                        Hush, you! Thread-jacking is a finely-tuned skill, doncha know! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

clicked! Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

clickey! My daughter teaches 1st grade, the age where many of the symptoms become undeniable, although many parents still resist acknowledging their child has special needs. I see her heart break for these children and I see how she sacrifices her time and energy to make sure these children get the help they need AND gives the rest of the children in her class the attention they need/deserve... My future DIL works with autistic children exclusively and this, along with my daughter's experience has really given me a different perspective...thanks for the link. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

madness baby

One thing that intrigues me is the possibility that Autism and ADHD might both be genetic--there are some who already categorize the disorders together as related.
                              There is a genetic link in autism, but the two disorders are not related and are considered distinct disorders. Science does not link the two in any way-the only commonality is that they are both developmental disorders. Autism is a spectrum disorder, including Asperger's and ranging from low- to high-functioning autism, and if a child has it, yes, their sibling is more likely to have it. Some genetic link that has been established. Like you said Jeff, early intervention is key. It plays an incredible role in a child's prognosis. If you guys ever want any information or have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask me. There's also a lot of pseudoscience out there on it, especially when it comes to treatments. I had seen the video before, and each time, I shudder at one point, when they say, "a world where no family has to live with autism." We should embrace autism, love and accept the children, and help in whatever ways possible. I think that phrase doesn't do much for the stereotype of the disorder. My life has been touched in so many ways by children with autism and I embrace the fact that, as a diverse group of people, we can all love and express ourselves in different ways. Thanks for your support of the kids, and research, and intervention everyone! Smile
                              deb
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had seen the video before, and each time, I shudder at one point, when they say, "a world where no family has to live with autism."
                                Yeah, that bit kind of bothers me, too. It's almost as if it paints autism with the same brush as terminal cancer. Autism makes some things difficult for those diagnosed and their families, but it's hardly a death sentence. My little nephew has some amazing gifts that are because of his autism, not in spite of it. k

~ Sarah Kay