• T: 6 with intervals at the armory
    • W: 7 easy
    • Th: 7 easy + weights
    • F: 9 easy
    • S: spin
    • S: rd

total = 29

DukeDB

I like to establish a "working" max HR each season and set my expectations on that.  I don't think my max HR is changing very much anymore (it is on its slow descent towards zero), but other conditions do - principally, the equipment and but also my own ability to hit the max HR.  I try to do a couple max-effort hill runs while fully warmed up and use the highest value actually observed.  The number is usually in the upper 170s or low 180s.

I don't do sophisticated zone training or anything like that.  I use 80% of this observed max HR as a speed limit for easy runs & long runs (until the finish).  That's about it.  Sometimes I'll look at the data after an awesome / lousy workout to see how HR related to perceived exertion, in hopes of magnifying / ameliorating my feelings about the session.  In marathons, I have some idea that it should be about 160.

What I'd really like is a data point to watch during the marathons that would tell me to go faster, slower, or steady, to make the most of what I've got that day.  Not gonna happen.  Though - perhaps with these new wattage meters for runners  . . .

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

What I'd really like is a data point to watch during the marathons that would tell me to go faster, slower, or steady, to make the most of what I've got that day.  

Don't we all?

Experience does help with that, to some extent. If I feel I have to slow down, I probably screwed up already. In my properly executed marathons I felt like going faster as early as at 17 miles, or sometimes never at all. All by feel.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

fb-guy

Rovatti -- you've got 22,208 in 10 years, and I've done 22,148 in 9+. Not bad. You could be hitting 24,901 this year; early next year.

Figured out one way of slowing down. I ran up a damm hill today. Runkeeper is buggy, so I don't know the elevation gain, but that might be a good place to run.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

As far as HR goes, my easy is usually 145 or less. Although, I've only been tracking HR for a couple months now.

McBen: are you famous and I didn't know it? Why are you stopping for so many photo ops? Do you always wear the hot dog suit that is in your picture? Sounds like a fun weekend aside from the knee pain.

I need to do some rough math and try to figure out my lifetime mileage. I know fairly well what I averaged during CC and Track seasons, but really no idea what I averaged between 2004-2011, that's a big gap without any kind of tracking.

First two runs of this race week were kind of rough, hoping they are not indicators of upcoming race performance. I started to have cold symptoms again on Sunday (I need winter to be over), but really didn't feel all that bad. My easy run on Monday was 20-30 seconds slower per mile than usual. Yesterday was 5 x 1000 workout. Usually start at 3:45 per interval and pick up the pace a little from there. I felt like I was working harder than normal and averaging 3:55, ugh. Finished with 3:59, 3:53, 3:49, 3:52, 3:52. I'm hoping it's this cold and maybe some lingering fatigue from 17 miles on Saturday. Anyway, the rest of the week is easy runs until race day, so we'll see.

I'm looking forward to the food as much as the race this weekend. Charleston rarely disappoints my tummy and stopping in Asheville along the way is nice too.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Katia77

Been a minute!! Work has been (and is) super busy so limited time, but I'm still increasing my mileage and wondering what to do with it.

DW - I think we discussed this before, but I finish my races with a HR in the average 180s as well. I think my last marathon was high 180s for the whole thing, average. Small people, or something.

McB - lol getting fat worked for me, too.  I had an excuse (was pregnant, postpartum). but that sure did slow down my average pace!  I remember I could never run slower than 9:00 unelss I was REALLY trying or REALLY trying, and then 9:20 was my happy pace for months!

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I like to establish a "working" max HR each season and set my expectations on that.  I don't think my max HR is changing very much anymore (it is on its slow descent towards zero), but other conditions do - principally, the equipment and but also my own ability to hit the max HR.  I try to do a couple max-effort hill runs while fully warmed up and use the highest value actually observed.  The number is usually in the upper 170s or low 180s.

I don't do sophisticated zone training or anything like that.  I use 80% of this observed max HR as a speed limit for easy runs & long runs (until the finish).  That's about it.  Sometimes I'll look at the data after an awesome / lousy workout to see how HR related to perceived exertion, in hopes of magnifying / ameliorating my feelings about the session.  In marathons, I have some idea that it should be about 160.

What I'd really like is a data point to watch during the marathons that would tell me to go faster, slower, or steady, to make the most of what I've got that day.  Not gonna happen.  Though - perhaps with these new wattage meters for runners  . . .

I have one of those power meters (someone else does also - CK - I think that's you).

It's a nifty device, but not a perfect measure of effort either. For one thing, it doesn't account for wind - i.e. if you are running into a strong wind and holding your pace steady, your effort will increase but your measured power will drop. You also have to factor in allowances for humidity and heat - you can sustain more power for a certain timeframe on a cool day, as compared to a warm/humid one.   The big advantage of power over HR is that power changes immediately while there is a lag in HR.

Personally, as some who runs with both a HR monitor and a power meter, I'm always going to rely on perceived effort as my primary metric. I'll supplement that some with pace or HR in workouts, and use HR as a ceiling for easy runs to keep me honest, since "easy" is where we lie to ourselves the most.  As y'all know, in races I go exclusively by perceived effort - it's served me well. I never use power as a metric while running, though it's interesting to look at afterwards.

Ace - I hope it's your body just resting up. My sig other has been fighting something off for about a week now. In response, I've been washing my hands more than Lady Macbeth.

7 very easy today (8:51) plus drills, strides, DIY yoga.  Getting a massage this afternoon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/57/ in case you were thirsty or wanted to pick up a few things (and mail them to me) to take home.

Duke: I use my HR range from races to tell me if I have more. If I’m at 160 I know I can push. If on around 170 it’s starting to become time to consider slowing down. 172-175 better be a miles or less to the finish.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Strict WTF adherent

McBen: are you famous and I didn't know it? Why are you stopping for so many photo ops? Do you always wear the hot dog suit that is in your picture? Sounds like a fun weekend aside from the knee pain.

I would say I'm more than famous
                    And I save the hot dog for special occasions

KK - I have to imagine that running preggo is harder than running fat. Or if I'm to believe McW, everything is harder when you're pregnant and I should hate myself.

fb-guy

McB - lol getting fat worked for me, too.  I had an excuse (was pregnant, postpartum).

Wow McB. That's gotta hurt.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Hi all, and happy new year!

I just posted more bio stuff in the intro thread.

I'm back from WDW, having had the thrill of running alongside my son as he completed his first full, and then looping back around and running alongside my wife for a few final miles as she and my brother-in-law also completed their first marathon.  My three daughters were also there to cheer her on.  My mom also got first in her age group in her first half marathon at age 75 (granted, there wasn't a lot of competition in the 75-79 age group, but she did actually beat a few people!).  Overall, a great weekend and a nice haul of charming race medals.

It looks like a bunch of you are already starting off 2018 very strong.  Nice result, darkwaveE78, my hands get the same way.  It's painful as heck, which is why I usually retreat to the tedium of the treadmill for a majority of the winter, although the dreadmill has its own horrors (SO tedious!).  Good luck to everyone on your 2018 goals!

OMR

FB:  2012-2017 - the years for which i have annual data - add up to 18,553 miles, or about 59mpw.  I've got a couple years left (at least) before I make it around the planet.  Regarding your question about pace, I'm sort of at a place where I would say not to worry about it.  If you start increasing your miles, you'll start to feel more fatigue, and the paces will drop if you keep them easy.

Dad:  Work those paces!

ThisIsNotSam:  Hey there, old timer!

FB:  Wait, 7:57 at 120bpm???  Wow.  Do you know your resting HR?  Is it somewhere around 15 bpm?  You probably have forgotten my HR rants from years ago (why would anyone remember them, hahaha), but I still use it as an important metric, and I often do something similar to assigning a maxHR for a run and staying below it.  I do other things with it as well, just as a way to keep me re-thinking what I'm doing and avoiding the fact that I am getting older and slower.

McBen:  Eat More, Get Fatter.  Is there a book deal in the works?  I'd buy it!

Hey all...

Classes started back up yesterday, and I knew this week would be problematic anyway, but my knee is acting up still, so...Monday was a rest day.  Tried 7M yesterday, but took today off, in part because of classes, but mostly because of the knee.  Not sure what's up with it, but I may try just uphill running tomorrow (less impact), and if that doesn't work, switching to an Adaptive Motion Trainer (no impact) for the rest of the week.

fb-guy

OMR -- have you had the traditional "runner's knee" in the past? Isn't that where your IT band is tight and it pulls your knee tracking out of line to the outside side? I'm sure you are trying it, but sometimes rolling the IT band and stretching can help the knee relax. Maybe? Anyway -- enjoy classes.

Isn't resting heart-rate one of those passive-aggressive "mine is lower than yours" things? People get a Fitbit that mis-reads their HR and they spending the next year at parties telling everyone they are so fit that they have a resting heart rate of 45! :-) I've seen it. Maybe it's a Silicon Valley thing. haha.

Pesto

Quick drop by for the first post of 2018. Sorry I have been absent so far. A new (much more demanding) job starting Jan 2 and the arrival of DD2 on Jan 4 are to blame. I have been running a decent (not great) amount of miles though.

I'll drop by later and maybe even attempt to catch up with everything that's been going on here.

Oh, and a belated happy 2018 to all! Hope you have a wonderful year!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

DukeDB

FB Guy - I can confirm that silly resting HR brags are alive and well on this East coast, coincident with the arrival of activity trackers with HRM capability.

The dreaded flu & winter colds are upon us.  My hands are raw from the washing, and I'm a little shook because my youngest has an invite to a birthday party at Chuck-e-Cheese this weekend.  Also, the new office building has elevator buttons that are hard to press with elbows.  We're all gonna die (or break training for illness)!