Too Old to run (Read 591 times)

one morning my granddaughter wanted to race me to the house (she's 5), I took off and immediately heard a pop.  I almost fell to the ground from the pain at the base of my glute  where it meets my hamstring.  It occurred to me then that maybe I'm too old to start running

Age didn't do this. Old or young do foolish things. (Insert joke about old bull and young bull on the hill)

Lots of good advice. Take it easy.

Get off my porch

I'm 61 now - Issue me a walker....Big grin

I ran a lot in my late 20's to about my mid 30's and then only a little up to 50.   At 50 I stopped running totally until I was 55.     One day at 55 I took a look at how heavy I was and realized how bad I always feel and remembered how good I always felt when I used to run.....so I started running again at 55.

The most important thing I can tell you is YOUR NOT TOO OLD (Get that out of your brain now).....     My guess is you are likely trying to run too fast (common mistake for a newbie).   So run at a pace slow enough that you can talk - and dont hesitate to take 1 minute walk breaks (I still do that sometimes)...        ALSO -- Never EVER sprint around with a 5 year old - unless you want to hurt yourself (then of course, its OK)...

I ran a HALF Marathon 2 years ago - during 5 miles of the race I was talking with a guy that had only been running for the past 5 years.....he was running a decent pace - when i asked him his age he was 75 - so he started running at 70.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm 50 and my running partner is almost 64.  She also has some hip issues and other problems.  But she keeps plugging, thank God.  We've been running together for almost 7 years.  And she is faster than I am!

Losing weight will definitely help.  I am way too heavy right now, and it makes running so much harder.  So I'm going to start restricting my calories and lose some of the baggage.

old-runner

I thought I was too old to run but became interested in running a 5k at the age of 56 just to see if I could do it. It worked out fine and I got hooked. Now I've been running a little less than five years and have run 215 races including more than 50 half marathons. I know quite a few people who started running in their 60s and are doing great.

Lots of runners here are in their 60's and a few in their 70's.

Take it slowly and allow your muscles, tendons and ligaments time to get used to the new activity- doing a little often is better than trying to do a lot occasionally.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jules2

I didn't start until I was 50 and 13 years later I'm still going take it easy and expect

ups and downs, good luck

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is it possible that with time and training this will work itself out and I should just stick with it or is it time to give up?   If it helps, I'm female, 5'6 160 lbs, run on a treadmill and run with Brooks running shoes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I guess you now realize you ask the wrong people. Too old to run?

A case of the fox  guarding the hen house.Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Gladys Burrill ran her first marathon at age 86.

Walk-Jogger

Gladys Burrill ran her first marathon at age 86.

And lets not forget Fauja Singh, who started running at age 81, ran his first marathon at age 89, and was the first 100 year old runner to finish a marathon in 2011.

Retired &  Loving It

A little story:

DH and I are in our 40s, have been running since 2004, and started trail running last year.  At a tough 20 mile trail race last September, we were soundly beaten by a 70 year old women.  I want to be that woman a few years down the road.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

#artbydmcbride

I didn't start until I was 50 and 13 years later I'm still going take it easy and expect

ups and downs, good luck

And you're fast!

Runners run

Maggie & Molly

and go buy yourself a nice rolling stick.  use it to roll out those butt/thigh muscles after your run.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I finished my first marathon when I was 60. Just take it slow as others have suggested- lots of other good advice here.

ups and downs, good luck

Jules, I have a feeling your idea of taking it easy while expecting  ups and downs involves a 50+ mile bike ride...Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Jules, I have a feeling your idea of taking it easy while expecting  ups and downs involves a 50+ mile bike ride...Wink

I'm feeling my age I did a 45 mile MTB enduro on Friday and came third but unlike in the past I didn't have the energy to go out for a yesterday's guy how you doing Chenille?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.