How to pace my 10k/15k/20k to prep for half? (Read 694 times)

I can only say "good luck"!   And as a general rule, since you are doing the 20K this time which is double the 10K, simplest measure I could suggest is to take 10 seconds off of each initial mile (to save a little for the longer run), and if that is going smoothly, there is room to pick it up a bit at the turnaround point.     That is basically what I did out there at the 20K last time.  I'll be up for the 30K this time, so my plan is similar, I will be taking about 10 seconds off of my pace I had for the 20K, then see how I feel at the half way turnaround.

I am thinking three weeks out from the Shamrock races is plenty of time to recover and I am going to do very close to max effort in the 30K in late Feb with the assumption that 3 weeks is ample time to taper and fully recover prior to the Shamrock.

---If anyone thinks that it might be a bad idea for me or Dave to go max effort in these races 3 weeks out, pls provide advice!  I'd certainly be willing to take a little bit off of this race in feb if a full effort 3 weeks out from the Shamrock in March 3 weeks later would not allow enough recovery time to get back to 100%?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Kris, good luck to you too!

Recovering is my main concern.  I think I'll be ok, because I tend to recover very quickly, but I don't want my 20k effort to hurt my half.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Good math delucj!

1:24:56, 6:50/mile average pace.  Negative split the last 3 miles with a 6:30 kick for the last .44 (closer to 6 flat right at the end).  I think I could have gone 6:45/mile, which is what I'm going to shoot for at my half next month.

-Dave

My running blog

Nice job kicking some ass! Now to go get it at the Half, you're ready!

Dave, I didn't see you out there (got there late), but good lord!  Finished with near a 6 flat?  That is superb!  

I did well on the 30K out there, but "well" for me is 2:43:00, over an 8:30 pace..  But hey, that gives me at least some hope that I can do a sub-4 full Marathon at the Shamrock if I don't fade too much at the end.  :-)

Good luck at the half... Even though you are a new runner, looks like you are trained up to achieve one heck of an awesome time out there! :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

Dave, I didn't see you out there (got there late), but good lord!  Finished with near a 6 flat?  That is superb!  

I did well on the 30K out there, but "well" for me is 2:43:00, over an 8:30 pace..  But hey, that gives me at least some hope that I can do a sub-4 full Marathon at the Shamrock if I don't fade too much at the end.  :-)

Good luck at the half... Even though you are a new runner, looks like you are trained up to achieve one heck of an awesome time out there! :-)

Hey Kris, I saw you out on the course and said hi, but you were focused. Smile  Also said hi when you hit the 30k turnaround at the bear, but it was in a chorus of "Go Kris!" from a bunch of us standing there.  Good job on your race!  Good luck on the full, you'll do great.  I think I'm gonna do the Shamrock full next year for my first full.

Thanks, I've been very surprised with how much I've been able to improve over the last six months.

-Dave

My running blog