Why does Brooks keep f-ing with the Ravenna? (Read 156 times)

I have a love/hate relationship with Brooks.

This, oh THIS!

They took a perfectly good shoe (Cascadia) and turned it into an abomination

The Brooks rep indicated there is a re-design coming, but I for one will not hold my breath

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I agree on the Ravenna's

The 5 was they shiz-nit for me, but I could not wear the 6

This, oh THIS!

They took a perfectly good shoe (Cascadia) and turned it into an abomination

The Brooks rep indicated there is a re-design coming, but I for one will not hold my breath

There was actually a CHANGE in the Cascadia in the last 10 years?! Other than color and overlay position, I mean?

I was not made aware of this.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rlopez

There was actually a CHANGE in the Cascadia in the last 10 years?! Other than color and overlay position, I mean?

I was not made aware of this.

Actually, yeah. They only fooled with it vaguely every year through version 9. Version 10 they managed to introduce a manufacturing (or, more likely, design) defect that caused the majority of shoes to spontaneously combust through the sides within 150 miles. Since then, they've spanked the design monkey a couple times... but yes, lots of "fun" colors, new upper materials and overlay.

Since they came out with Caldera, which has been a hit, and Mazama, which has not, it will be interesting to see if they really spend any thought on a 'design change' for Cascadia. Or if, like the pure grit (well, all the pure shoes), it gets given to an intern to mess with. (note: this is a joke, I don't know what has really happened with the pure shoes other than they all suck and Brooks just seems bored with them).

But yeah, Brooks' big thing these days across all their models is "let's unveil some new color schemes!"

I think one of the biggest problems is these "Best Shoes of 2018" things that show up on magazine covers in the checkout line and online.  Manufacturers will miss the boat if they don't update their shoes because no one ever writes an article about the best shoe that everyone loves and hasn't changed in five years.  So our beloved Asics 2100 series, NB 760 series, and Brooks Cascadia all get "fixed" when they aren't broken - until they are broken.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

we're a consumerist culture, and how can something be "better" if it isn't "different" from previous version? Marketing departments know exactly what they're doing, even if the R&D department disagrees.

I liked the original Grit, I still have a pair that I've only worn a few times (bought a couple pairs at Ross when they were $20). I was puzzled when this semi-minimalist shoe line became as heavy as conventional shoes. Brooks seems to have troubles developing a lightweight soft midsole material like most of the other shoe companies have been doing (Boost, Ever-Run, Gen5, Lunarlon, FlightGen, Fresh Foam, etc). There's no reason why the Pure series should weight more than 8oz for a men's 9.

Actually, yeah. They only fooled with it vaguely every year through version 9. Version 10 they managed to introduce a manufacturing (or, more likely, design) defect that caused the majority of shoes to spontaneously combust through the sides within 150 miles. Since then, they've spanked the design monkey a couple times... but yes, lots of "fun" colors, new upper materials and overlay.

Narrowing it significantly contributed to the blow out problem.

The first time I tried on the 10, I was immediately reminded of Steve Martin's old bit "Cruel Shoes"

The Caldera v1 works good, high volume and cushioned, kind of like Brooks answer to Hoka.

But then v2 came out: toe box is less round than the v1 (pointier?) with a re-designed upper and reduced amount of material making it a less volume shoe (tighter fit). My feet haven't made decided whether they love or hate yet

I have a pair of Cascadia 7 with about 75-100 miles on them. They just don't make it into my rotation much because my other shoes feel so much better. I use them for <5 mile runs every once in a while just because I'm cheap and want to get my money's worth out of them as running shoes before they become around-the-house chore shoes. Brooks doesn't currently offer anything I find interesting enough to spend money on. I'm rocking my Pure Grit-1 and Green Silence racers for a while, but when they wear out, that's it.