Truly time-tested, sweat-proof MP3 players (Read 73 times)

skim1124

Running to eat

I can't make any MP3 player last more than about a year.  I've had the tiny square iPod Shuffle, Sansa, and other players claiming to be waterproof, and I've even used them in protective plastic cases on an armband.  But every one died in about a year due to sweat getting in somehow.  Rain has never been an issue.  It's just sweat, probably getting in through the earphone wire/connection.

Has any (heavy-sweating) runner found an MP3 player that has lasted 3+ years?  Or can anyone give tips on how to protect MP3 players from moisture-induced early demise?

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

an amazing likeness

I've had good results with the Sansa Clip Sport -- which I see you list as a no-go. I've gotten a couple years service from them, and it's usually the belt clip with gives up the ghost first. My wife has described my summer sweat level as 'worrisome' or 'don't stop between here and the shower'.  I do give the little mp3 player a wipe down with a damp paper towel on particularly sweat gutter days.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Still kicking

I've had pretty good luck with swimming radios/mp3 players.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

I've been rocking this Coby for 3-4 years, and I sweat like a champion. I also like that it uses a single AAA battery so I don't have to worry if I charged it or not, I just pop a battery in if the current one is low on...current  (I use rechargeable batteries, which seem to last 2-3 months worth of running).

Discontinued, there might be a newer gooder version.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_28234_Coby-MP301-2GBLK-2GB-Micro-MP3-Player-With-LCD-Display-Black.html

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Seattle prattle

how do you know they died due to sweat? I;ve been using my ipod shuffle for about 4 years would be my best guess, and it gets used twice a day many days of the week, and rain is no stranger to these parts....

skim1124

Running to eat

I've been rocking this Coby for 3-4 years, and I sweat like a champion. I also like that it uses a single AAA battery so I don't have to worry if I charged it or not, I just pop a battery in if the current one is low on...current  (I use rechargeable batteries, which seem to last 2-3 months worth of running).

Discontinued, there might be a newer gooder version.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_28234_Coby-MP301-2GBLK-2GB-Micro-MP3-Player-With-LCD-Display-Black.html

The Coby doesn't look any more durable or waterproof than ones I've used, so maybe you've just taken care of yours better.  Did you do anything in particular to address the sweat/moisture issue?

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Gizmo2019

I’ve used a little pink iPod shuffle for over a year and it has been shared with my not so delicate daughter. It’s been fine as far as sweat. My problem was the ear buds didn’t fit after my ears became glossed over. I switched to Bluetooth.

aftershoks. So far so good but only 2-3 mos but lots of sweat. Well for me (I don’t run too far yet)

The Coby doesn't look any more durable or waterproof than ones I've used, so maybe you've just taken care of yours better.  Did you do anything in particular to address the sweat/moisture issue?

Not really. It just goes in one of the pockets on my shorts, and when I take it out to turn it off it usually has moisture on it.

One thing you might try if you've had moisture problems are shorts or waist belt designed with a "moisture proof" pocket. I've been looking at bone conduction headphones, and there are a few that are self-contained, meaning they have built-in 4-8gig memory so you can load music on them. Most are bluetooth, which requires you to take along a damn phone or something. Some are designed for swimmers, and "conduct" by being held tight to the head under the swim cap. That would probably work under a headband or hat, too.

LRB

Wrist based players are really what's up. I have the Garmin 245 with no wires and nothing to carry. There are several brands/models on the market however and if you want to experience something truly remarkable, try one.

Yeah, the GPS watches with music are nice! But you still have to recharge the bluetooth headphones.

morphex

I use bluetooth headphones when I'm on the threadmill, those work well. I guess I can sweat 2 litres in a 1 hour run.

When I'm going out in rain on my bike for example, I wrap the phone in a fresh bread bag (plastic bag for home baked bread) - that hasn't failed me yet.

-Morten

I can't make any MP3 player last more than about a year.  I've had the tiny square iPod Shuffle, Sansa, and other players claiming to be waterproof, and I've even used them in protective plastic cases on an armband.  But every one died in about a year due to sweat getting in somehow.  Rain has never been an issue.  It's just sweat, probably getting in through the earphone wire/connection.

Has any (heavy-sweating) runner found an MP3 player that has lasted 3+ years?  Or can anyone give tips on how to protect MP3 players from moisture-induced early demise?

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

LRB

Yeah, the GPS watches with music are nice! But you still have to recharge the bluetooth headphones.

Truth. Mine have died twice around the 2 hour 40 minute mark, and they were on a full charge.

skim1124

Running to eat

Wrist based players are really what's up. I have the Garmin 245 with no wires and nothing to carry. There are several brands/models on the market however and if you want to experience something truly remarkable, try one.

Yes, I can believe that a watch will hold up better than an MP3 player.  But then the problem is finding bluetooth earphones that won't short out due to sweat/moisture.  I've had several earphones (non-bt) die on me, too, which were okay since they were cheap/free.  But bluetooth earphones aren't as cheap, so I don't want to invest in them if they're only going to last a year or so.  Seems like there's always a weak link--though perhaps the bone-induction headphones is the solution.

Gizmo2019

my aftershoks are bone conduction. its nice bc it doesnt block out 100% of outdoor noises (traffic, etc). also, when im done, i see droplets and beads of sweat on the head set (verse moisture soaking in). as ive said, so far so good..

https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones-AS600PK/dp/B01KTXMKRI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1682TWTG7WW3P&keywords=aftershoks+trekz+mini&qid=1568007583&s=gateway&sprefix=aftershoks%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-4

LRB

I had zero issues with sweat or moisture with these bluetooth headphones or these, which are the ones I currently use. And for wired headphones, these took a licking and kept on ticking. YMMV