Non-Runners, Faster vs. Longer (Read 164 times)

This topic probably has been beatin to death...

I was trying to explain to a non-runner than a fast 5k is better than a slow Half-Marathon.

her "friend" runs half marathons and is a "totally awesome runner", clearly,

Of course I asked what her friend runs half marathon in and she didn't know...

I said something like well a 20min 5k is probably about an 85min Half Marathon, and she was like who runs a half marathon in 85mins? lol.

I guess to non-runners we're simply living in a "Longer is Better" World

300m- 37 sec.

paul2432

No big surprise that non-runners have misconceptions about running.  I am sure I have misconceptions about hobbies where I have only a passing knowledge.  For example, I believe photographers just click a button.  What's the big deal? (yeah, I know there is more to it than that, but I have a feeling I still under appreciate the effort)

The corollary to this happens when I've run a 5K or 10K (I'm known for running marathons and ultras among my non-running friends) and they invariably say "oh, that will be easy for you".  I don't bother explaining that the challenge isn't completing the distance, but doing it as fast as I can which is certainly not easy.  There is really no point in trying to explain these things.

Most of us run for the internal satisfaction of running, so whether someone else is impressed by my fast 10K compared to another's slow marathon is pretty much irrelevant to us.

a 20min 5k is probably about an 85min Half Marathon

I wish.

Dave

The corollary to this happens when I've run a 5K or 10K (I'm known for running marathons and ultras among my non-running friends) and they invariably say "oh, that will be easy for you".  I don't bother explaining that the challenge isn't completing the distance, but doing it as fast as I can which is certainly not easy.  There is really no point in trying to explain these things.

Yeah this one gets exhausting. Although it is still way easier imho. Just because it's over so quickly.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I said something like well a 20min 5k is probably about an 85min Half Marathon, and she was like who runs a half marathon in 85mins? lol.

It's actually closer to 1:32.  An 85 minute HM is closer to an 18:30 5K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Easy to explain to them using facts and figures. Pull out your phone, go to http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup15.html , enter the appropriate stats of their friend's half time/age/etc and a hypothetical woman of same age running a decent 5k time. Compare the age-grade result score.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Oh yeah, longer is better for non-runners. They are more impressed that I ran a 50k trail race in just under 6hrs at 56 years old than a 4:03 mile at age 21. Because 50k is longer than a marathon, ergo, better. Anyone can run a whole mile.

It's actually closer to 1:32. 

I wish that too.

Dave

I mean ... 8 x 5k @ 20 minutes with an all out 2k at the end is a 2:50 marathon, or just under. Apparently that's math that sticks with me.

Runners run

paul2432

I wish that too.

I wish I could run the 5K equivalent of my HM.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I mean ... 8 x 5k @ 20 minutes with an all out 2k at the end is a 2:50 marathon, or just under. Apparently that's math that sticks with me.

I did that in April....but forgot to do the all out 2k at the end. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I wish I could run the 5K equivalent of my HM.

I wish I could run a HM or M at my 5k equivalent, and that I could run a 5k at my 800m equivalent. I hit a pretty steep decline in performance after 5:00.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Remarkably, my 5K PR equates to my HM performance. Sadly, it doesn't carry on to my marathon time.

onemile

I wish that too.

it baffles me you can't run a faster half, esp considering your training paces.  Maybe you just need to give it another go

<- 19:56 / 1:29:56 

( okay, I prob should be able to run a faster 5k )

it baffles me you can't run a faster half, esp considering your training paces.  Maybe you just need to give it another go

<- 19:56 / 1:29:56 

( okay, I prob should be able to run a faster 5k )

<-- 19:53 / 1:34:49 

You are of course also a lot faster than me at marathoning, and have a minute on me in 10k.

Make you a deal, I'll run another HM & you run a 5k.

Dave