41 years old and just ran my fastest 10K (Read 1737 times)

flovesparko

Although I've only done a handful of 10K's in the last nine years I've been running on and off, I just PR at 41 years old for a 10K raced yesterday. I ran hard and almost always feel like quitting after the first mile but still finished strong with a enough of a kick to get my pace down well under 6 minute pace. I ran 37:44 (6:05 pace) in windy and very humid conditions. I think I would have been closer to 6:00 pace on a good day. I still get inspired by the older guys that beat me. One guy was 47 and ran 5:42 pace. Stay strong and healthy to all my fellow RA runners!
    KMB

Holy Crap - way to go! I'm almost 41! Sweet!!!!!!!!!
      T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Hey, that's great! I too had a PR at the half marathon distance in March at the ripe ol' age of 41! It makes me wonder "what if" I had taken running more seriously earlier in life. Great job on you PR!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Good job!! In my 10th year of running--some 23 yrs ago (age 43--then) I PR'd every distance from 1 mi/5K/10K/1/2 and a full marathon. I have found a lot of folks who seem to improve over a 10 yr span if they are consistent and stay away from injuries. I know this is supposed to be about you--but my ego seems to get in the way a lot. For example, at age 64 I ran a faster marathon than my first one--31 yrs earlier: 3:58 in '77--3:57 in 2008! Sorry. I do get in the way. Great job on your 37 min 10K. keep going. There is no finish line. Nick
          flovesparko

Holy Crap - way to go! I'm almost 41! Sweet!!!!!!!!!
            KMB, next year will be your year! T-bone, Thanks for not living near me;-) you have some wicked fast times! long run nick, Great job, I love hearing that! Everytime I get done with a race I wonder how I'm going to do this next week, let alone many years from now.
              Hey, that's great! I too had a PR at the half marathon distance in March at the ripe ol' age of 41! It makes me wonder "what if" I had taken running more seriously earlier in life.
              I'm in the same boat T-Bone, but better late than never. That's a great race, keep at it and keep those PRs coming.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

C.J

RunningKidCJ

wow 37:44 that is amazing. Congratulations!!!!
                JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

That's a flat out GREAT time. And doing it at 41 has gotta make you very happy! Congratulations.
                  Franc Karpo

A 'PR' at age 41... that's awesome! Keep going, who knows you may ran a few more PR's? Sometimes age is just a number. I ran all my PR's from ages 37-43. Franc
                    kcam

Inspiring! Keep up the smart training.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeeaahhh!!! I love threads like this--really give me hope, since I started relatively late in life, too. Awesome job! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Congratulations. I just ran a PR Sunday in a half marathon at age 46, so you're never too young. Keep going for those PRs.

Not at it at all. 

This is the best thread I've seen on this site. No question. I'm 34 and I have been assuming my lifetime PR's are all going to be from high school/college, dusted in time in an era with Kurt Cobain, the OJ trial, and Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan. I'm not sniffing any PR's yet by any means but am running more miles and faster than at any time since 1995. BUT recently my tempo runs have been getting good enough that the whole "sub 17 5K" idea has surfaced for the first time since I've seen the Quebec Nordiques play! Congrats to everyone who has been cranking out these PR's even later in life!!!! I hope to join you in the next year or two. Flovesparko - 37:44 is moving for 41 or ANY age...I did 37:39 at 19. Sweet!
                            nkeliher

Running nut

That is really inspiring. I was a decent runner in high school but lacked focus and discipline (I guess I still lack those things now at 32 but to a lesser extent). My goal over the next few years is to beat all the PRs set in my youth and this thread shows that it is more than possible - if I keep up with training it is inevitable.

glutton for punishment

Although I've only done a handful of 10K's in the last nine years I've been running on and off, I just PR at 41 years old for a 10K raced yesterday. I ran hard and almost always feel like quitting after the first mile but still finished strong with a enough of a kick to get my pace down well under 6 minute pace. I ran 37:44 (6:05 pace) in windy and very humid conditions. I think I would have been closer to 6:00 pace on a good day. I still get inspired by the older guys that beat me. One guy was 47 and ran 5:42 pace. Stay strong and healthy to all my fellow RA runners!
                                holy bejeezus batman!! thats awesome i am in awe of you 6 minute mile dudes i am trying to get to 7 minute miles i am 50 and i think my 22:45 5k is something to behold and then this 51 yo dude clocks one at 16:30. i am like Damnnnn!
                                PRs: 5K - 22:15 May 09 10K - 47:11 feb 09 15K - 1:16 april 09 HM - 1:47 nov 08