Old running shoes (Read 127 times)

Gizmo2019

what do you guys do with your retired shoes if they still “look” good but just don’t provide the support you in particular need?

i feel horrible just throwing them out..they were pricey but don’t have the cushioning. My local store just chucks them. My husband says it’s not nice to donate things that aren’t good enough for you anymore. But I say, there could be someone who doesn’t have plantar fasciitis and just needs shoes to walk in...?

paul2432

Some of my old shoes become walking shoes. Some become yard work shoes. And the rest get donated or thrown away.

i don’t see a problem with donating shoes or clothes.  Plenty of organizations like Goodwill or Salvation Army actively seek donations of used items.  So do organizations providing aid in third world countries (where shoes of any quality are often a luxury).

Still kicking

Put them in your car. The next time you see a homeless or less fortunate person out on the streets who they might fit, give them the shoes. I've been doing this for a long time. It's like Christmas for them.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

mikeymike

They become dog walking shoes, then lawn mowing shoes, then, eventually, when they're too disgusting to keep around I put them in the trash.

Runners run

Gizmo2019

• Thank you! I agree. 
            Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It depends....with Hokas, I sell them on eBay (with photos/mileage) and usually get a decent price for them. My running shoes that look like casual shoes (Skechers 400/600s) I’ll keep them for general use as they are sooo comfy.

We have a local runner/charity worker who takes donations of unwanted running shoes/clothes/accessories etc and I’ll give him a bag every so often.

Thats a great idea Dean. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

My husband says it’s not nice to donate things that aren’t good enough for you anymore. 

Donate them. Not good enough for you may be plenty good for someone else in need. Running shoes retired due to mileage are usually still in plenty good shape for casual use.

Dave

Wing

Joggaholic

Mine usually goes from road/trail running shoes to treadmill shoes to gardening shoes, and when they become too "holey", I dump them into the recycling bin in a nearby Nike store whenever I visit.

Gizmo2019

Donate them. Not good enough for you may be plenty good for someone else in need. 

Exactly what I say!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

At one time I would replace the shoes after 300 miles. As I increased my weekly mileage I found myself keeping shoes on the road for longer times. After all, if you are doing  like 40 miles or more per week that means each shoe is only good for about 7 weeks of usage if you stick to the 300 mile rule. Do the math, figure over a hundred dollars for new shoes (I think the ones I get are now like $125) so that would mean $15 new shoe expenses per week, about $800 a year! Of  course I typically have several pairs in rotation. My shoes are all several years old now and are very worn down on the soles, particularly on the heel and under the big toe. I am down to just 3 pair of road shoes and a new pair, nice and clean for the gym treadmill, so I am due to buy like 2 more pairs. I know some people need the cushioning bounce and support of a new shoe to prevent injury, but I like the "minimalist"  feel of the worn down shoes, they are worn down in the spots where my feet might scrape the road to nice curves so my running seems smoother and I have no issues in running with them until they get actual holes. Over the year I've learned to try and run without heavy impact. When they are no longer good for running I may still use them for outdoor work shoes or for walking until they get totally falling apart and then they go in the  garbage. Of course every runner is different. If your shoes still look fairly clean and new go ahead and donate them. I am sure they are better than what most people wear and may help some people.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Still kicking

I would really like to know how in the world some of you folks can wear shoes out, to the "worn out ratty and full of holes" condition. I was putting over 1000 miles on my running shoes, and then using them for casual shoes... to a point that by the time my "casual" shoes were even showing signs of wear, I had 3 or 4 more perfectly good looking shoes, that were out of running miles, waiting in the closet. After a few years, my closet was so full of shoes... for me to wear them all out to the point of being ratty, would have taken more than the rest of my life, if I never bought another pair... and they were continuing to pile up. That's when I took a trash bag full of shoes downtown, to the river area, where the homeless folks hang out, and gave them away. That's what started that, and I've been doing it ever since. I go through, and give away 3-4 pairs of shoes, before one pair of "lawnmowers" even starts to wear out.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Gizmo2019

This is what worries me. I’m supposed to retire my shoes after about 3-500 miles. Plus increase my miles in general. That’s a lot of new shoes. I do need that protection for my PF and the main reason I know when to change shoes is when the PF pain creeps back up on me (even after all the preventative excersizes I do).

which is why I’m looking into old models that cost less and trying to rotate shoes (still just running in one pair at the moment).

i really can’t even wear my “old” great looking shoes for waking around as it doesn’t support my arch and at this point it’d negate all that I’m doing to try to heal (while running constantly).

its such a shame bc they still look newish.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Dean From Ks - I would say you have excellent running form and have good shoes that suit you very nicely. With me I am not always planting my foot straight down and may tend to have my shoe scrape against the concrete  a little, particularly when I start training or I am getting too tired. Over a course of many miles that wear and tear adds up. But it is not just the sole that wears out, the side of the shoe when it fastens to the sole often develops a tear and I also get hole where the tip of my big toe is. Perhaps if I improved my form I would not have these issues. My feet  are very wide in the toe box and I have only found the New Balance shoes made on their SL-2 shoe last ( which has added toe room) that are size 9 and 4E (extra wide) seem to fit me.

Gizmo2019 - It is best to have at least one extra pair so your shoes have a chance to dry out from sweat and rain. Also, they need time to recover their "bounce" to retain their shock absorbing qualities. I don't really know why shoes lose their ability to protect against PF or if some shoes might last better than others. I have an idea that just changing in shoe insert might help, and some may give better support than others, but I am not knowledgeable about this either.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Gizmo2019

Gizmo2019 - It is best to have at least one extra pair so your shoes have a chance to dry out from sweat and rain. Also, they need time to recover their "bounce" to retain their shock absorbing qualities. I don't really know why shoes lose their ability to protect against PF or if some shoes might last better than others. I have an idea that just changing in shoe insert might help, and some may give better support than others, but I am not knowledgeable about this either.

Thanks altair5, I know, I keep searching for the “right shoe for me” which is just as much of a job as running 10 miles (for me!). I’m trying to get something w thicker or longer lasting cushion. At this rate as Increase my miles, ill be starting my shopping process monthly. 😓 thanks for the tip. You know, I think I may try my insert in my old shoes to see if I can still use them that way or even in my current running shoes....

Seattle prattle

Thanks altair5, I know, I keep searching for the “right shoe for me” which is just as much of a job as running 10 miles (for me!). I’m trying to get something w thicker or longer lasting cushion. At this rate as Increase my miles, ill be starting my shopping process monthly. 😓 thanks for the tip. You know, I think I may try my insert in my old shoes to see if I can still use them that way or even in my current running shoes....

what shoe are your using?

Some are better than others for PF, and for long life, for that matter.

Cutting to the chase, I've had good luck for PF mitigation with Mizuno Wave Riders and with Brooks Glycerines.

If you have PF or similar issues, don't use a shoe for more than 300 miles. I've done test with an old shoe on one foot and a new one of the same brand/model on the other, and you can really feel the difference when presented in such a straight forward way.