Profiting from the great iPod debate (Read 1037 times)

...---...

Regardless, the USATF is a big heavy. I just want to run.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

That's interesting that there is a difference between USATF certification and sanctioning. I learned something new. Overall, I think the whole debate about headphones is a dead issue. With only one or two exceptions I don't see races enforcing any bans on headphones and I keep seeing a larger and larger percentage of runners using them from the small races of less than 200 runners on up to large marathons. Combine that with every running magazine and media outlet as well as several running sites advertising MP3's and IPOD's the argument seems almost moot. Sometimes I think I'm going to be the only non-elite runner not wearing them in a race. Or maybe marathons will start passing them out like chips and charge a fee if the MP3/Ipod isn't returned at the end of the race. Clowning around
      USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
        I just heard Twin Cities is DQing people from finish photos. I have no confirmation, but Minnesota's a tough state!
        2008 Goals
      • Run 1250 miles
      • Get down to 135!
      • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
      • ijeepgirl

I don't see what the big deal is with headphones anyway. It's NOT like I'm running with an IV pump behind me with methamphetamine or steroids being pumped into a vein trying to get an advantage.

I got my hair highlighted because I felt some strands were more important than others. :)

Another Passion

Regardless, the USATF is a big heavy. I just want to run.
            Hear, hear... pun intended. I'll know what my time is regardless if some "authority" recognizes it, or not. I doesn't really care either way. Tongue

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes....just as you can be DQ'd for violating any race rule. Some races enforce the rule and others don't. Whether or not you can be DQ'd should not be the issue. Whether or not you should abide by race rules should be the issue.
              Which is the only reason I won't bring my iPod to a USATF sanctioned race. As much as I would like to have it and know that it helps get me though the tough and lonely spots, I'm pretty much a rule abider (don't tell my car that, though, Dash likes to go faster than posted speeds sometimes--no tickets though *knock on wood*).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Dallas White Rock Marathon made a big deal out of it on their web site and with an article in the Dallas paper this year. It wasn't very effective though - my non-scientific guesstimate is that 60-70% of the people I saw had some form of MP3 player. I have not heard anything about people being DQ'd. Maybe they just wanted to pretend to comply with the rule by telling people not to wear them.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Ditto. Is that marathon Maine or Oregon? Not that I'd do that, as I am planning on a race a few weeks later in MI. But I'm wondering how I'm going to feel in that last half without music (and the GRM is a gorgeous course, but much of it is inaccessible to spectators and did will likely be in Death Valley on a JDRF ride, so I'm not even going to have a cheering squad). Shorter distances are no biggie, but as it is I seem to run at a pace that no one else runs--everyone is either faster or slower. Most races longer than 15k find me spending a good deal of the race completely alone for miles. Purists can scoff, but my fastest paced race EVER is a HM with my iPod--I ran it faster paced than ALL of my shorter distances without.
                  That would be Portland Oregon. Although I've never done this run, it is only a 3 hour drive south, it is known around here as a very fine race. Mostly flat with PR's made regularly. With this race, MP3 players and the distraction they provide (which I need) are almost unnecessary. They have over 60 bands and musical groups scattered along the course. That amounts to at least 2 per mile. Plenty of distraction.
                    I don't see what the big deal is with headphones anyway. It's NOT like I'm running with an IV pump behind me with methamphetamine or steroids being pumped into a vein trying to get an advantage.
                    And it's not like I put valium in other people's Gatorade either... Tongue
                    2008 Goals
                  • Run 1250 miles
                  • Get down to 135!
                  • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                    • 1. I dont run fast enough to care if I am DQ'd or not. 2. I dont win a trophy and they can't take my tee shirt back. 3. Oh and a solution to the DQ'ing take off the buds before the finish photo. No photo no evidence. Then deny deny deny....and then counter acuse Brian
                        3. Oh and a solution to the DQ'ing take off the buds before the finish photo. No photo no evidence. Then deny deny deny....and then counter acuse Brian
                        Sounds like a lawyer. Wink