Local Running Shop: loyalty (Read 798 times)

baxdaddy

just another runner

Go! Running FTW

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

Ours is great too but the prices are substantially more than the local big box places or online.  That's the issue for me.

If I can get a pair of shoes for $140, $200 is kind of steep to support local.  Sad

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

xor

200 dollar shoes!

holey moley

Welcome to Canada.

Retailers haven't figured out yet that our dollar is worth more than yours now.  Same goes for books, vehicles, etc.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

keeponrunning

Welcome to Canada.

Retailers haven't figured out yet that our dollar is worth more than yours now.  Same goes for books, vehicles, etc.

+1 from a fellow Canuck.  People wonder why I often buy shoes, etc in the USA.  

That said, if I had a GOOD LRS I would try and support it.  I'm a musician and try to support our local stores rather than the chains, because usually the employees are more helpful and knowledgeable than the bigger chains.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Feeling the growl again

Welcome to Canada.

Funny how times change.  Doesn't seem that long ago we drove to Toronto to go shopping and considered Canadian dollars "Monopoly money".  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Same here in NZ shoes in LRS $160 USD and I can get delivered from UK for $85 USD and that includes $25 freight. And we runners get through alot of shoes so its a huge saving.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

love this!

---------

Melton

You rarely get a second chance to make a first impression, make it count LRS's!  My own experience with my LRS (Potomac River Running, Ashburn, VA) was not a pleasant one, and I've never been back.  (Running Warehouse has filled that void beautifully, thank you very much)

Julia1971

You rarely get a second chance to make a first impression, make it count LRS's!  My own experience with my LRS (Potomac River Running, Ashburn, VA) was not a pleasant one, and I've never been back.  (Running Warehouse has filled that void beautifully, thank you very much)

It would probably be a haul for you and if Running Warehouse has everything you need then you're good but Pacer's is awesome.  They always greet me when I enter the store, if they don't have something they'll offer to call around or special order it for you, and their rewards program must be pretty good because it seems like I always have a $20 credit somehow.  If you're ever in a pinch and are willing to make the drive, I would give them a shot.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I really like my LRS, but they're a half hour drive from me, plus they don't have the color options and the discounts that Running Warehouse has.  I do like the support them, though, so I'll often go and check out their apparel and buy something every other month or so.  I also like supporting the events they put on.  It's just not as convenient to get there as it is to order online.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Best Present Ever

Our LRS (RMRS that started this thread) actually has pretty competitive prices on shoes. The deep on-line discounts are cheaper but in general they are in line with the boxes. some of the clothes are more, but I figure it's worth it. I walk past it to get to work and stop in about once a week. It's like a clubhouse. Also, I've had them talk me out of things - 'that's too expensive for a kid - here, try this instead". It makes me laugh. Plus, they support a post-college team of fast (Olympic trial fast) runners, many of whom work there. They are kind enough to act like the training of a 4-hour marathoner like me matters.

Ours is great too but the prices are substantially more than the local big box places or online.  That's the issue for me.

If I can get a pair of shoes for $140, $200 is kind of steep to support local.  Sad

CaitDS

As a LRS employee, I appreciate your loyalty!

We stick to standard MSRP pricing, but 10% or 15% off coupons are always abundant.

It's true that you may be able to find your shoe (especially older models) online for less, but where else can you try on all the shoes and have treadmill video gait analysis done for each shoe?

BeeRunB

If you join a running club, often the local shops will give you 10% off of all purchases.

Was the case back in Rhode Island and here in Atlanta.

muppy

I try to go to my lrs for most stuff, get 15% off with running club membership, and got 30% off coupon from last  race! Only problem is they don't have my size in the shoe I like, so I stock up online when that shoe goes on sale. The one guy always remembers  my name,  and you can't beat the service.