Complex meniscus tear (Read 79 times)

shawn44

So the MRI shows a complex meniscus tear with ACL and MCL strain. My doctor doesn't want to operate. In  physical therapy using topical steroids to treat the knee. They are having some positive effect but I fear my running days are over after 30 years. Has anyone out there ever come back from something like this after a year or so off. Staying active using a stationary bike but not having the same feeling of accomplishment.

rmcj001

I tore my right meniscus in '98 and they clipped the torn part, cleaned up the frayed parts and did microfracture for the hole in the cartilage.  I was told no impact sports.  Tried running a few times, but knee was too painful.  In 2010 started running in VFFs.  Mostly wanted to run races with wife and oldest son. Started running marathons again in 2013.  I've finished 18 marathons since then.  I walk and run a fair amount and I can tell you it is lot more painful to walk then run these days.  Prior to the surgery my knee would "lock up" and it would take awhile for that to resolve sometimes. From that standpoint the surgery was a success, but recent studies cast doubt on the long term success. Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

Ray

Newrock

I had a tear 3 years ago and surgery to remove it. I was unable to run prior to the surgery, but was able to start up with 6 weeks and have had no knee pain since then. Now training for a marathon.  Very happy that I had the surgery.

I stepped in hole about 5 years and strained mine

I fully recovered just by rest . I have no issues now

Purdey

Self anointed title

I have medial and anterior meniscus tears in my left knee (and probably in my right, but not MRI confirmed yet). I am strengthening supporting muscles and continuing to run.  For me, the most pain is when leg is in same position for some period (driving, sleeping..).

I'm attempting a Backyard Ultra this weekend - that will be a bit of a test for the knee. (Understatement).

shawn44

Thanks for the feedback everyone. You've given me some hope for the future.

Me too...I tore my meniscus and ACL in 2007.  I had cadaver replacement on the ACL and as much clean up/repair on the meniscus as possible.  I did four months of rehab, then only treadmill running to avoid bad surfaces, and then worked back to normal.  I'm probably around 20K miles post surgery and no problems.  I only notice when I run on a cold day after the run as I warm back up.

delicate flower

I've basically blown up my left knee twice, with ACL, MCL, LCL tears meniscus tears, and bone fractures.  Both times I had the ACL replaced and minuscus trimmed and stitched.  I've got 65% of the meniscus left.  My second tear was in 2013, and other than that recovery and rehab, it hasn't affected my running.  Good luck!

<3