Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

Tiefsa

What happened here?  I'm kind of disappointed in all of us.  RA used to be a little nicer.  Send a direct message to someone instead of all this he said she said stuff.

Why is it sideways?

Useful principles for argumentation, too, I might add.

No Talent Drips

Does that mean all drivers are drunks?  Does it mean we should ban cars or beer?  

I hear ya Tief. And I should really grow up. But I called it, right? I mean this is like going blind 7 in spades and shooting the moon! To wit:

Spaniel, we all get it. People not guns. Constitutional rights. Hunting. Criminals. Something or other about drunk drivers and banning cars. 

Blam-O. Or Ka-pow! Awesome takes practice people.

Dei Gratia

C-R

Vehicle related deaths occur at the rate of 1 per ~91 million vehicle miles travelled.  That's 91 million miles in vehicles driven by people of all ability levels in all types of scenarios and the vast vast majority in close proximity of each other.

Sorry I'm late to this. I was out with my boys getting some rounds and proper rings for our new scope to fit our rails. Certainly don't want to shoot any of our rifles with improper equipment.

So by your reckoning wouldn't it be intellectually equivalent to compare gun deaths per rounds fired in total. I've fired off many thousands of rounds in my life without any mishaps. Likely many hundreds of thousand other shooter are in the same boat so this is a distracting line of reasoning. Try again.

I get you are uncomfortable with weapons. I get you think they make deaths more likely. There are plenty of statistics that can be used to argue each way and frankly I could care less. The original story was of an athlete charged with a horrible crime. It involved a weapon. It gives people an excuse to bring their agenda and when challenged on that agenda you won't own up to it. I don't recall any posts about the Cowboys player killing his best friend while driving under the influence. Of course it's a running board and only running related topics are discussed. Yeah I didn't notice this same tone with Wanjuru (sp).

I would respect people more if they would just flat out state what they want or represent (total ban or whatever) but there is always veiled assertions and trying to be cute or snarky or cool. Followed by angst and offense when challenged by a differing viewpoint.  State your position and own it when pushed. In case you couldn't tell I am a gun owner, sport shooter, hunter and advocate for such. I teach my kids to properly use firearms much like I teach them to properly use table saws, circular saws, nail guns and soon enough welders.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

JimR

Another well-thought, intellectual argument.

Just keeping up with your smashing contributions.

Okay.

Between this and obviously the other events of the last few months I have come to the conclusion that gun control/rights/etc. is like 50x more polarizing than I ever thought it was.

On a slightly related note, WTF is it with the way people frame their arguments. It's really not that difficult to to form a coherent, logical argument without taking jabs at the other person. Yet a bunch of you all are doing just that.

It like the framework is:

Gibe

Rational Argument

Small, subtle gibe,

Rational Argument

Closing Gibe or direct insult

No one here seems to be so immature that they evolve entirely into ad hominem attacks and insults, but it's like they still need to "fit them in" where they can. If people just stopped with the stupid jibes and quips this would probably be a decent discussion, as people here are pretty intelligent and savvy.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

JPF

No one here seems to be so immature that they evolve entirely into ad hominem attacks and insults, but it's like they still need to "fit them in" where they can.

What do you know?  You're just a stupid poopyhead.

But seriously, the level of friendliness here is usually better.

skygazer

So by your reckoning wouldn't it be intellectually equivalent to compare gun deaths per rounds fired in total. I've fired off many thousands of rounds in my life without any mishaps. Likely many hundreds of thousand other shooter are in the same boat so this is a distracting line of reasoning. Try again.

So how many miles have you driven a car w/o killing a person?

(Sorry, can't resist it)

I hear ya, Tief and C-R. I will not use diet and cake in my non-diet related arguments from now on. I used the example thinking it'd make it easier to convey what I thought.

Yup, it's much easier to stay polite and civil when being agreed with, or having a lot of people on your side. And it is also true one can almost always find numbers/data/studies to support his/her argument. That said, not all arguments using these numbers/data/studies are impartial. For example, some would argue more people were murdered with hammers than rifles (see the FBI link I gave previously) so rifles are safer than hammers (the rationale behind the argument would also make rifles ~20 times safer than hand guns. On 2nd thought, that might be partly true as hand guns are more convenient for murder. But then it's back to my diet-cake analogy, convenience makes it easier to happen and more frequently).

I admit I picked an easy target to attack-->if someone really wants to kill a person, s/he will find a way to do it. It so much sounds like a no brainer you'd think it's hard to argue against it. In reality, I guess not many people have realized that many murders were conducted with firearms (various types of guns) OR it would've not been hard to make a plausible answer to the question OR just laugh it off,  could/would most of 8,775 (out of 12,996 total) murders conducted with firearms be done with other means if the firearms weren't available then?

Personally, not that I didn't think about getting a gun (not for self defense though. I really think some of the guns are beautiful). But the more I think of it from the defense point of view, the more I feel it's just someone else's gun right vs yours. Guns beget more guns. Once, a friend was outside his apartment waiting for me to come pick him up. Before I got there, he got robbed by some guy with a gun . You might say he'd have been okay if he also had a gun with him. See, my point, guns beget more guns. It's not your gun right that makes you fell safer but others' gun right makes you feel not safe (NY city decided to make gun owners openly known to the public by showing their identity/residence on Google map using some app. WNYC's Bryan Lehrer's show had gun owners call in to speak how they feel about it. Most were shocked not in a pleased way when they found out so many people (their neighbors) have also owned a gun). Well, I'm here to stay while the friend has moved to another country. So I can only hope there're a lot of people like C-R that would teach his kids to properly handle guns and most importantly, use them responsibly.

Finally, to stay on topic, with more details coming out, it's looking more like Pistorius murdered his GF.

BTW, I played Judo before. 6 or 7 yards apart isn't in "close contact".

skygazer

Sorry, I gibed again.

JimR

So by your reckoning wouldn't it be intellectually equivalent to compare gun deaths per rounds fired in total.

No.  The equivalent is 100 or so million people all out there packed together for those periods of time in those same congestive settings with kids, friends, bystanders and everyone else involved and those hundred mil or with loaded guns in their hands.  Ridiculous sounding, is it not?

What do you know?  You're just a stupid poopyhead.

But seriously, the level of friendliness here is usually better.

Yea, I agree.

I guess it's just the nature of polarizing issues. Seems like people always assume the worst/most aggressive things and then respond a bit irritated and it just spirals from there...

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Yea, I agree.

I guess it's just the nature of polarizing issues. Seems like people always assume the worst/most aggressive things and then respond a bit irritated and it just spirals from there...

and its the nature of the internet discussion/forum.

Certain polarizing topics are best not even mentioned on long runs. Politics, religion and lately guns. Though with like minded individuals these topics could consume the entire run.

How about that meteor? crickets......................................

Get off my porch

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yea, I agree.

I guess it's just the nature of polarizing issues. Seems like people always assume the worst/most aggressive things and then respond a bit irritated irrationally and it just spirals from there...

Fixed.

And what Oldman said.

steph  

#artbydmcbride

I know!  That meteor strike was Crah-Razy!!  Shocked

Runners run

Chris T

and its the nature of the internet discussion/forum.

Certain polarizing topics are best not even mentioned on long runs. Politics, religion and lately guns. Though with like minded individuals these topics could consume the entire run.

Sounded like a big gun going off.

Oh, wait...

Sorry.