Arch Sleeves (Read 78 times)

MIRich

Has anyone used arch sleeves to help with PF? If so, was there a brand that you found worked best? Did using the sleeves make a difference? My gf has PF and is interested in trying them. She asked her PT about them, the they said to try them.

Looking forward to to hear what others have experienced with using them.

The Phoenix has risen! Recovered from my injury, and kickin' serious asphalt once again!

Marylander

I bought some through amazon and think they were too loose to do any good although I did follow their sizing info. I haven't gone back to buy a smaller set as I've been hoping the issue would just go away.

flyrunnr

I have them, and seldom use them. I use the Futuro Night Plantar facsiitis sleep foot support. Much better. In the end, these things address the symptoms, you need to identify the cause. I have worked more on stretching my calves and Achilles after workouts, and think I have less problems with PF now. I had it for about 2 years, but now that I picked up my mileage to 100 mpw, and switched running shoes to a new brand it seems to have gone away. It was brutal at times when I had it, and I was doing epsom salt baths, icing, rolling on frozen water bottles, using lacrosse balls, etc.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Simple little thing called Strutz worked instantly for me. I can't stop crowing about how good it worked.

Wear it all day for relief, and possibly even running. I did a few times and it was a little uncomfortable, but better than the flared up PF.

My bout and solutions to PF:

after resting didn't do much, I went with the most cushioned Hoka I could get (Stinson ATR) and also rigid insoles (Sole Dean Karnazes). That combination allowed me to jog with the PF with a lot less pain. I rolled my foot on a LaCrosse ball, working up to almost all my weight on it (yes it hurt). I discovered the Strutz band after a month, and it was an instant relief. Over the course of several months I was able to ween myself off the rigid insoles, which began to be more uncomfortable than the fading PF.

https://lovemystrutz.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqsHWBRDsARIsALPWMEPHkpZ7WZMQ2KjarBH47Vbb2BegL--cxI2BxIrd1nHv_vimqI1dnAQaAiV0EALw_wcB

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Jawihan

Bill, I can't click on the link  you offered. Which one of the several Strutz bands did you use ?

Thanks

Jim

Jim, it's the green and black band with the pad that goes under the arch, Original Strutz Pro. I didn't KNOW they had the other products, as my PF got better the arch pad became uncomfortable and I tore most of it off. Had I known they had the bands without the pad I would have ordered one of those at the time. But use the one with the pad to start!

I bought my pair at a local store for $8. I think you'll find them cheaper online that the factory website.

Also, you probably already did this, highlight the link I posted, right-click and select "go to"

MIRich

Thank you very much for the feedback. I’m going to provide her with the info. Glad to hear you were able to recover. She has completely shut down running for now, and just focusing on low impact cross training.

The Phoenix has risen! Recovered from my injury, and kickin' serious asphalt once again!

Joann Y

I got them and didn't like how it felt like they were crushing my feet. Ended up getting some cheap gel heel inserts for my every day shoes (I don't run with them) and had almost instant relief after suffering for a couple of years. I also switched to Brooks Pureflow. I love those shoes. Seriously, those heel inserts were like magic. Might be worth a try.

Jawihan

Jim, it's the green and black band with the pad that goes under the arch, Original Strutz Pro. I didn't KNOW they had the other products, as my PF got better the arch pad became uncomfortable and I tore most of it off. Had I known they had the bands without the pad I would have ordered one of those at the time. But use the one with the pad to start!

I bought my pair at a local store for $8. I think you'll find them cheaper online that the factory website.

Also, you probably already did this, highlight the link I posted, right-click and select "go to"

Thanks Bill for the information. So, it's basically a lift for the arch. I have tried just about everything including custom orthotics, physiotherapy, the Strassberg sock, stretching & strengthening, ice bottle & lacrosse ball roll, several types of gel heel & arch inserts. Nothing has provided any long lasting relief. Going back to see my doctor next week to see if he has any more solutions.

I wasn't aware of the highlite and right click method--thanks

Jim

MIRich

She picked some up today, and is wearing them. They seems to like how they feel, and hasn’t had much pain today. Thank you for the suggestion. We’ll try this for the time being. Thank you!

Nothing has provided any long lasting relief. Going back to see my doctor next week to see if he has any more solutions.

When it's that bad, it should be suggested to quit running on it for awhile.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Unfortunately time off for an extended period is needed. I took two weeks off and got sick of NO IMPROVEMENT and got the max cush shoes and started the aggressive lacrosse ball rolling. I also tried the sock and hated it (pulled on my toes) and went with the boot instead, but I could only wear it for a few hours before it woke me up and I'd take it off. It took a LONG time to recover, maybe 6 months before I didn't notice much discomfort when running.

Remember, the heel pain is the symptom, not the cause. Supporting the ARCH so it cannot move as much helps the plantar to heal. Just putting a bunch of cushions under the heel only eases the symptom. The Plantar runs from the toes and connects at the heel. It is integral with the arch in supplying impact cushioning (like a leaf spring).  On a TEMPORARY basis. Once healed, orthotics and other things that prevent the arch from doing it's job may be detrimental to other muscular/skeletal systems.

Look at some youtube videos of taping for PF.

berylrunner

Rick

I have Pro Tec sleeves.  They provide minor relief.  As others have mentioned, these are bandaids and the root cause needs to be found.  I have had PF for 4 years.  One foot, then the other, then back to the original.  It's minor right now, but know I need to back off if it gets worse.  Everyone dealing with this needs to find this balance.  Tried about everything except a shot.  Time off of running did not help.  I deal with it but it is frustrating not being able to run fast, that seems to flare it up.  Taping is a good call but it is hard to put on myself and I get the look of "why are you running if you need to tape" from my wife.  One thing that nobody want to talk about is weight loss.  I know 10 pounds off would make a huge difference in my case.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Jawihan

Bill, thanks for all your information. It appears that you were able to do some running after a couple of weeks of rest with the assistance of the shoes and rolling etc. I have not been able to run since Jan 20th and have even kept walking to a necessary minimum.

I realize that the PF is the symptom . I suspect it may have been caused bu several things eg: tight calves, running uphill, running on very slippery surfaces. It could also be due to muscle imbalance etc. It's complicated. I always did the recommended stretches after running.

I just got some KT tape but haven't used it yet(waiting for that recent dump of snow and ice to melt) I will try it while walking first.

I am hoping that I can get this resolved soon as I am getting out of shape and the other exercises that I am doing are not as effective as running, especially for weight control.

Thanks everyone for your comments

Jim

Hi Berylrunner  It looks as if you posted while I was typing up my response. Regarding the KT tape-----I put it on yesterday which was very difficult for an old guy like me with unsteady hands!!!. What a mess, I didn't get it on properly, it curled up at the ends and became quite uncomfortable. After about 15 mins. I ripped it off. I may try again tomorrow. Regarding weight, even though I have cut back on my eating, i have still managed to gain 8 or 9 lbs.(all at the middle of course) since I stopped running.

Thanks for your post

Jim

Jawihan; KT tape requires experience to get right. The first few times I tried putting it on I had the same result as you, and tore it off. I watched a few more instructional videos and got better each time. After the 4-5th time I was able to get it to stay on for several days, even through showers. Not all KT tapes are created equal. Following recommendations, I discovered Rock Tape was more durable that the standard brand. I also cheated a couple times and used a small smear of super glue under some corners that started to peel off after a day. It's been more than a year since I looked into KT tapes, maybe now there is a type or brand out there now with GOOD adhesive on the end tabs or throughout.

I'm not sure if KT tape is the right solution for PF, but in some cases it might be. I tried elastic sports wrap around my arch a few times, but went back to the Strutz band that I removed the pad from. A lot of the KT tape tutorials seem to be guesses as to where to put it, like putting it directly on the area of pain rather than the tendons/muscles causing the pain, or just mimicking past methods for taping with non-flexible athletic tape but using KT instead.

Anyway, PF is one of those VERY slow recovery things. At least it was for me. Once you can JOG a mile or so, you need to take the next day or two off, then go again, etc. Doing this I was eventually back up to 4-5 mile runs every other day after 4-6 weeks. Yes, my plantar hurt the next morning, every time, but did not hurt as much for as long into the day and eventually went away after maybe 6+ months. I was able to do daily run/jog alternating between 5-7 one day and 2-3 the next after about 10-12 weeks from starting with the 1-2 mile jog.