Has anyone seen a race do this? (Read 222 times)

erobinso1

https://www.facebook.com/SyracuseHalfMarathon/?hc_ref=ARQbIVzUxXBPtJJV2PPtN8_B8XcSaupZ2Cd-f3yneOFX5QD2WR5XjAk74Jbp2ndzyFo&fref=nf

that's nuts, but I guess it works. A better method to get huge numbers of people to give them money asap would be to have a lottery where anyone entering the first day of registration has a CHANCE to win $1000.

I would assume that the first 5 have already registered, and not care. But if I had a CHANCE to win if registering on the first day, that might motivate me.

But I wonder if that falls under the classification of "gambling"...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, so they want to make sure they get at least 5 people to register?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Seen a race do what?

(Not sure if this is click-bait)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Seen a race do what?

(Not sure if this is click-bait)

offer cash as an incentive to get people to sign up early. But yeah, is this erbinso1 person working for them? Or a Russian bot?

watsonc123

Given that the posters name is not a link to his/her profile, it is almost certainly fake.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

erobinso1

offer cash as an incentive to get people to sign up early. But yeah, is this erbinso1 person working for them? Or a Russian bot?

Actually just a runner in the Syracuse, NY area and this was the first time I have seen something like this. Was looking for running forums to chat with people about it.

you're not ensconced in a windowless room in Siberia making social media posts all day about road races? 

Half Crazy K 2.0

I haven't seen that a prize for being the first entries. A new half in Wilmington, DE has $1-110 pricing. There were limited $1 entries & then they increased.

A race I've done in the past has also switched to tiered pricing. It's a smaller 5k, so 1st 50 spots are $25, next tier is $30, then $35. It's annoying, the event used to be $20 early, $25 closer, but the race management company that used to have the better price was acquired by the largest LRS/event management company in the area, who promptly raised prices.

beat

Break on through

No - I haven't seen that done.   There are probably some good reasons why it hasn't been done before...

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

GinnyinPA

That is odd. I guess it's a way to get a lot of people signing up the first day.  One of the local HMs tried a New Years day deal where you could register for the HM for $25. The race was in late October, but it was a fairly new event and they wanted to publicize it early. I signed up, but then was injured and never ran it. The next year the New Years price was $50, so I assume they had a lot of early sign ups.

Seattle prattle

probably more than the prize for 1st place. If so, that's whacked.

probably more than the prize for 1st place. If so, that's whacked.

Yeah, but only a few have a shot at the prize money. This motivates everyone else to shower the race promoter with money.

Seattle prattle

It gets to the underlying motive, to maximize profits as a business venture or promote the sport, (laughable as that may be).

I know a guy who's sole source of income for the year is a single televised limited event track meet that only lasts a couple hours. And he makes triple digits off that.