Prescription sunglass lenses in existing frames…? (Read 121 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Apparently this is a thing.  Wondering if anyone here has done that and if the results were any good.

I just joined USA Tri, since I have 6 duathlons in the plans for this year and several are USAT sanctioned.  25% off Rudy Project sunglasses is a benefit, so I'm planning to invest in a pair of shades for running/cycling with the prescription inserts (currently I have no prescription sunglasses and it's gotten to where I really need vision correction all the time if I don't want to live with a mild headache).  Right now I can also receive a pair of free fashion sunglasses…so I'm thinking I could have prescription polarized lenses inserted in those for keeping in the car.

I'm not sure if my regular optician will make lenses for frames they didn't sell, but there are several online companies that can do this.  Has anyone tried any of these companies?  Any you'd recommend or others I should avoid?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mysecondnewname

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know a few people who have ordered prescription sunglasses there.  I've heard only good things.  Doesn't look like they do lenses alone, though.

Fortunately my script is pretty straightforward and not particularly strong…just enough that I can't really read or watch TV without squinting and while driving I can read signs a lot earlier with glasses.  I'm really thankful that I don't have vision correction needs like my mom or brother.  They both have Coke-bottle lenses.

~ Sarah Kay

Anjali A

I wonder if it would be less expensive to just order a new full set of glasses (frames with lenses) rather than get lenses fit to existing frames.  I have a pair of maui jims (I know you are looking at Rudy Project) with prescription polarized lenses that the actual Maui Jim company made and they are awesome!  The sunglasses that I have where I had prescription lenses made to replace the originals were really expensive and they weren't a perfect fit.  I did recently get another pair of prescription replacement lenses for fashion sunglasses, and they were a better fit but they were "laser measured" and that was pretty expensive (upwards of $300 for simple single vision lenses).  Just one persons experiences FWIW

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wonder if it would be less expensive to just order a new full set of glasses (frames with lenses) rather than get lenses fit to existing frames.  I have a pair of maui jims (I know you are looking at Rudy Project) with prescription polarized lenses that the actual Maui Jim company made and they are awesome!  The sunglasses that I have where I had prescription lenses made to replace the originals were really expensive and they weren't a perfect fit.  I did recently get another pair of prescription replacement lenses for fashion sunglasses, and they were a better fit but they were "laser measured" and that was pretty expensive (upwards of $300 for simple single vision lenses).  Just one persons experiences FWIW

In most cases I think it would be cheaper.  Only reason I'm wondering is that the $$ prescription glasses I'd be ordering from RP for sports use come with a free pair of non-script fashion frames.  To get prescription polarized lenses for driving in those from RP would run ~$300, IIRC.  I don't feel the need to spend that much on lenses for in the car.  As it is I suspect my prescription has changed for the worse a bit and will need to replace my regular eyeglasses or have new lenses put in those frames (which I really love and they're in good shape, so I'm hoping they can do that.  They're the first frames I've ever had that didn't annoy me to the point of rarely wearing).

I'll probably wear the freebies for a while to see if it's even worth the trouble to go the aftermarket prescription lens route.  The eye doctor carries Ray-Bans and other decent frames that may be fairly affordable with their lenses.  I'm guessing I'll pay a premium to have new lenses fit to frames I bring in.

~ Sarah Kay

12-week layoff

Our eye doctor doesn't do lenses for glasses they don't sell... But that's Wal-Mart Vision Center.  I dint think they want the headache of being responsible for frames more expensive than the ones they sell. Anyway, when my husband needed prescription sunglasses to fly in, he really wanted to use his Ray Ban Aviators, because they are, of course, perfect for pilots. We just went to an optician and she could not have been nicer, even making calls to see what color tint to use for pilots. They're making money off of the lenses, so why wouldn't they want to sell them?  I'd ask around...someone will do it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Our eye doctor doesn't do lenses for glasses they don't sell... But that's Wal-Mart Vision Center.  I dint think they want the headache of being responsible for frames more expensive than the ones they sell. Anyway, when my husband needed prescription sunglasses to fly in, he really wanted to use his Ray Ban Aviators, because they are, of course, perfect for pilots. We just went to an optician and she could not have been nicer, even making calls to see what color tint to use for pilots. They're making money off of the lenses, so why wouldn't they want to sell them?  I'd ask around...someone will do it.

Yeah, my eye doc is an independent local chain.  If they can't do it in the RP frames I'll probably give one of the online places a try.  Looks like that wouldn't cost me more than ~$100, even for Zeiss polarized polycarbonate.  Since these would be primarily for driving I could probably go for lower-end plastic and pay < half that much.  If they end up not being that great I won't have lost much, since the frames will be free.  I could always put the non-script lenses back in and sell them on eBay, in that event.

~ Sarah Kay

It is just worth asking at your optician.  I had an old pair of daily wear Wiley-X wrap-around glasses that were actually sunglasses frames. When I got new frames and lenses I asked if they would have new Rx sunglasses lenses put in the old frames......they did it, no problems!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Obeen1943

link spam