She felt sure significantly faster times were in her future (Read 531 times)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for sharing. Sharing an alma mater with her, I must emphasize how hard it is to train consistently where she lives. They shut down some streets in the winter as they are too steep to maintain. In the winters it is very hard to find places you can run without just doing tiny loops on residential streets...that are full of big steep hills. That 200m track she does speed work on has square corners. The teams never used it that I can recall, though I think it has a better surface than the slick one that made it nearly unrunnable when I was there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It's the "the bitter wild chill factor" that gets you.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...I'll bet she's related (by marriage) to a family of Hauswirths I know from that part of the UP.  That's a nice story.  Like Spaniel said, it takes a special something (stupid? crazy?) to train through the Winter in that area.  Winter is serious business!  Just avoiding getting mowed-over by snowplows for all those miles is a feat.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

There are some amazing women masters runners up this way as well, and from what little I know from various articles and tidbits, their stories are really similar. They have jobs, kids, came to distance running as novices (but good athletes), train through weather.  One, Sheri Piers, is on the qualifiers list at the end of the article.  In addition to Sheri, Emily Levan and Kristen Barry fit the same mold.  Just amazing stuff.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

There are some amazing women masters runners up this way as well, and from what little I know from various articles and tidbits, their stories are really similar. They have jobs, kids, came to distance running as novices (but good athletes), train through weather.  One, Sheri Piers, is on the qualifiers list at the end of the article.  In addition to Sheri, Emily Levan and Kristen Barry fit the same mold.  Just amazing stuff.

It is not unusual for LeVan to follow a 22-mile long run on Sunday with a 12-hour shift in the ER. But because she has always felt balanced and fulfilled by her work at the hospital, her family and her training, LeVan rarely felt overwhelmed.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus