My 2nd Race ever Report (Read 611 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Hey you guys, thought I would like to share my 2nd ever race report. Previous to this I did a 10K in 50:20. I inputted the details into a 5k race predictor and it said 24:09. Here are my splits: Mile 1 - 7:45 Mile 2 - 7:41 Mile 3 - 7:08 5K time - 23:17 This is 52 seconds than the predicted time, so I am well pleased with it, more than ever, because my splits actually improved, and after mile 2 I was very tired, and working extremely hard. In the last mile, I kept my head down and pushed through the pain. I was well pleased with the split. The only thing is I got home, had a look at my result and thought to myself,how I can never improve on that because I gave absolutely everything. Is this common feeling? Feedback please guys and any suggestions to carry on from here. PS, I am only competing in 5 and 10k events.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

That's pretty good. Learning to run negative splits like that is a good experience. Just keep running miles and your times will improve. As you keep training your areobic capacity and your overall fitness will continue to increase so your effort stays the same but your time comes down.
      The point is you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might as well give in and save your sanity for later.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats! What a great time! Every time I beat a PR, I feel like I gave it everything I had. But I find I keep beating them, not because I'm trying harder but because I'm in better shape and am a better runner than the last time I set a PR. So have faith! Just because you ran an outstanding race this time doesn't mean that you'll never run a faster one!

Roads were made for journeys...

Well done. Good job on the negative split, and way to gut it out the last mile! Your feeling was natural, but your fastest times are yet ahead of you. Once_a_runner817 is correct--keep running and your times will improve. BTW--did you do a warm-up run before the race?
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Slow-smooth-fast

Well done. Good job on the negative split, and way to gut it out the last mile! Your feeling was natural, but your fastest times are yet ahead of you. Once_a_runner817 is correct--keep running and your times will improve. BTW--did you do a warm-up run before the race?
            My warm up consisted of 5 mins easy runnning. I actually made the mistake of going out last night, I did an easy 8, so I dont know what effect this may hae had on my time.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You'll ruin your knees!

Great job on setting a high mark. I am guessing you have more PRs in you! Congrats! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

My warm up consisted of 5 mins easy runnning. I actually made the mistake of going out last night, I did an easy 8, so I dont know what effect this may hae had on my time.
                Here's my sense of the matter (and not to take anything away from your run--you did a great job): I probably would revisit the idea of an 8-mile run the night before a race. I don't believe it helped your effort, and in all likelihood detracted from a faster time. However, it sounds as if you already recognize this. Also (and take this knowing that I hate 5K's)--a 5 minute warmup is probably a little on the light side. Looking at your splits, a difference of nearly 40 seconds from mile 1 to mile 3 is huge--and tells me that your first mile probably was a little too slow. With a better warmup, I believe your first mile would have been faster (and easier), and your splits a bit more even with a faster overall time. Consider if you had run a 7:35, 7:30, 7:20. Instead of 22:34 for the first 3 miles, you would have run 22:25. No, not a big difference necessarily--but faster nonetheless. And, it illustrates that a little tweaking/strategy can bear some real fruit. No question you have some faster times ahead of you.
                My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                bas

Congrats! And you will improve yourself even though you gave 'absolutely everything'. It's simply that the 'everything' involved will change as you train and race more. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Slow-smooth-fast

Here is my current race schedule. anyone see any faults or how to improve it and get best rsults for 10k speed? Mon: Rest Tues: Easy 5 Mile Wed: Tempo 1 Mile warm, 3 mile at 8:00/mile 1 mile warm down Thurs: 6 Mile Easy Fri: 4 Mile Easy Sat: Rest Sun 11 Mile Long Easy. Any suggestions weclome.

Why is it sideways?

Hi Eddie, Here are a few suggestions. 1) You might vary your hard workout from week to week. The tempo run will be very effective, but you might want to alternate it with, for example, 6-8 X 1000m at a slightly faster pace than your tempo w/200m jog recovery. 2) I find running 6-10 60m strides after my easy run a couple of times a week to be helpful. It keeps me in touch with that speedier side of myself (and if you don't have that side, this will develop it...). Find some flat ground somewhere and accelerate smoothly to a 90-95% effort (no straining or form breakdown). Try to concentrate on running quickly with proper form and little effort. 3) You might consider taking only one rest day a week in order to increase (slowly) your mileage. I see from your log that you've been very consistent with your mileage over the last two months, so you may be able to handle running 6 days a week. 4) An alternative to suggestion #3 would be to make your long run a progression run every other week. Keep your long run easy one week, but the next week for the last 30-40 minutes of your run, you might increase the pace gradually so that for the last 10 minutes or so you are running at tempo pace (or faster!). You probably wouldn't want to implement all of these suggestions at once, but these are some things to experiment with. Good luck, and nice job with the 5k.