And so it begins...cold & flu season (Read 602 times)

Ugh. It’s like clockwork. 2-3 weeks after the kids go back to school, everyone’s sick (including me). What do these kids do at school? Sneeze and lick each others’ hands? It’s amazing how they are little virus magnets. My 3 kids get colds in September and they’re usually all healthy again sometime at the end of June. In one 7-day stretch last year, we had colds, flu, strep, ear infections and conjunctivitis in the house. The school my kids go to actually has hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere in the school to help reduce absences. Had to drag myself out the door this morning to run after taking yesterday off due to my new cold. Actually had a decent run. Symptoms seemed to disappear for that little while. But of course they’re back in full force as I sit at my desk. If it weren’t for my first HM on 10/12, I’m not sure I’d have run this morning. But glad I did. I guess I’ll just have to get acclimated to running with a cold if I’m going to be training in Jan/Feb/March for a spring marathon. Suck it up and run. Tongue

JBixler

I know how you feel...I went out for a great run this morning, now at work, I am sneezing and I have a runny nose...I gotta start popping some extra Vitamin C...My mrathon training starts in a couple of weeks and will go through Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March...It's gonna be a bitch...
        I love the little people, but I swear, they are like walking petri dishes. If school wasn't bad enough, Walmart (or pick your favorite large box store) is a breeding and distributing ground for whatever illness you care to (NOT) come down with. There will be much handwashing. Roll eyes

12-week layoff

Tell me about it. I am a teacher...and the little goblins sneeze, snot, and occasionally expel other, more disgusting things in my presence. And I teach eighth grade. Yes, I stay sick much of the year. I have found that using a neti pot drastically reduced my number of colds. I still get sick, but not as often. You might want to try it. If only they made something to wash out the stomach virus...I get that a lot, too.
          xor

A neti pot! I'm a-scared of those things.

My dad has been plagued with sinus issues his whole life...until he started using a nasal rinse. He swears by it, as does my husband who has started doing it too....they freak me out though, I have to say. Liquid + nasal cavity=burn in my mind, I can't wrap my head around the idea that it doesn't sting.
              2009 Goals:
              PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
              Run a 10K
              Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
              Complete my first Sprint Tri

12-week layoff

Warm water. Think warm water. Cold water stings. Hot water burns. Warm water...OK. I'm a-scart of my neti-pot too. I"m more a-scart of snot and colds.

Baby bean!

The neti pot is great. Remember to use warm water and go easy on the salt. Gargle with salt water, too, every morning before you have breakfast and maybe at night, too. I love emergen-c which is a powdered fizz that I add to water. Zicam nasal swabs have worked, too, for me. Sleep!!! Remind your children to wash their hands after the bathroom, after they blow their nose, before and after they eat. Also teach them to sneeze into their elbows (I'm a teacher...they sneeze into the hands and then touch EVERYTHING!!!). Go easy on antibacterial soaps and stuff. They do more harm than good. If possible, pack baby wipes in their lunch boxes if they can't use a sink. Sleep!!! Wipe down door knobs and phones and remote controls, etc, with a disinfectant (again, try to avoid the anti-bacterial ones but a cleaning one nonetheless).

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.