First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

I think he stated he's a lawyer earlier in the thread.

Ok.  Well now I understand why he wants Redbird to get a lawyer. Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mostly harmless

I do wish people would stop giving their personal stories though.  They are mostly boring and add little to the discussion plus the advice/testimonials are awful and almost always too long.

Screw that. The personal, boring stories are what keeps me coming back. I want more.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Julia1971

Screw that. The personal, boring stories are what keeps me coming back. I want more.

That might have been sarcasm since he then launched into his own boring personal story.  I'm not sure anymore...  Sadly, I haven't had any run-ins with the law.  It's so foreign to me that the first time I got pulled over, I went to unbuckle my seat belt but then scenes from COPS flashed before my eyes.  So, I put my hands in the air so the police officer could see them.  LMAO!  He just wanted to tell me my tail light was out.  I'm sure he got a good laugh out of that. I just remembered you already know that story since I shared it in the dailies.  I hope it's still funny the second time.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

"I'll be honest with you, this is a routine case and having a lawyer represent you will not help you that much, if at all." - No lawyer ever

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

That might have been sarcasm since he then launched into his own boring personal story.  I'm not sure anymore... 

It was Sarcasm in a sense indeed as he kicked off his own personal story.

Boy, I tell you, seems the past decade or so, Sarcasm and sneaky wit has indeed taken precedence on the forums.  I get lost in it as well sometimes, but yet sometimes I do it myself, lol.

Here, I'll leave you with a woody allen quote.  I did post this in another thread, but since we are entering page 22 here, It should clear things up immensely. It has immensely helped me see things clearly in my life.   I hope this helps....

“To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be happy one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness.”

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Everyone knows that lawyers give the worst legal advice. (Would be in a sarcasm font were one available.)

I would absolutely be getting one.  I'm a teacher.  Having a not-clean background check would be a serious issue for me.  I don't know many careers for which it's not.  Hell, when I was a site manager for a painting company--a painting company--we asked about convictions, including misdemeanors.  This was to paint houses in the summer with college students.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

"I'll be honest with you, this is a routine case and having a lawyer represent you will not help you that much, if at all." - No lawyer ever

If I was a career criminal I'd possibly consider it a "routine case."  Since that's not the case, and having a black mark on my record won't make life any easier, I prefer to fight it with a lawyer.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

having a black mark on my record won't make life any easier, I prefer to fight it with a lawyer.

Wise idea.  And I'm definitely not a lawyer.

steph  

We get it: you don't like lawyers,and you think we're all in cahoots.  Another brilliant contribution to this thread from Mr. K.L. Duke.  Your a gift that keeps on giving, friend.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

We get it: you don't like lawyers,and you think we're all in cahoots.  Another brilliant contribution to this thread from Mr. K.L. Duke.  Your a gift that keeps on giving, friend.

YOU'RE

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

If I was a career criminal I'd possibly consider it a "routine case."  Since that's not the case, and having a black mark on my record won't make life any easier, I prefer to fight it with a lawyer.

Um... My point was that no lawyer would ever say that, not that you would/should. I wasn't even taking a shot at him/lawyers, it's good business to make your services seem needed, whether they're really needed or not.

npaden

I've only looked at this thread a couple times and don't want to waste my time going back through all the pages, but one thing that you might look into is pleading no contest to the ticket.  In most states that is not an admission of guilt and it doesn't count as a conviction.  The state/city gets their money for the ticket and they are happy and everyone goes on their merry way.  Probably a cheaper option than hiring a lawyer and also a sure fire way for it to not go on your record if that's what you are worried about.

P.S. - I'm not a lawyer, but I've done this with several traffic tickets when I was younger and had a lead foot.  I would assume it would be an option in this incident.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Pleading nolo contendre does in fact result in a conviction.  So this would be a spectacularly bad idea.

I wonder if this is how doctor's feel when amateurs try to diagnose illnesses over the internet?

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

npaden

All I know is that it didn't end up on my driving record and my auto insurance didn't go up.  I had to take defensive driving too.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

All I know is that it didn't end up on my driving record and my auto insurance didn't go up.  I had to take defensive driving too.

My only thought there is perhaps Texas isn't as screwed up as the Illini State when it comes to these kinds of matters.