My longest run ever! Cologne Germany Brueckenlauf- Sept 7, 2008 (Read 634 times)

msl

The Four Bridge Run ( Brueckenlauf)- Cologne Germany- September 7, 2008 I will start out first by saying that DH and I registered in April for this race. We heard from more and more people what a great race it was, lots of support from people along the street, etc. Then we found out that dh's company planned their company/family weekend the same weekend as the race, so I didn't think much about training and continued running just my comfort distance's which hover between 5-10K. Then we decided not to attend the company weekend. Oh crap,now I have to run this race and I am not prepared was the first thing I thought. It wasn't until Saturday, one day before the race, that I decided I would do it. What the heck...even if I walk, its better than not doing it, was my attitude. Although I must admit that Sunday morning I had a major stomach ache and was totally nervous. The first 5K went by like nothing. It was, so far, tons of fun. We had already crossed 2 bridges and it was really, really windy up there, and blowing right at us, but luckily,the temperature was perfect for running as it was about 18C ( 64F). At kilometer 6 I had to pee. There was a patch of bushes, and other racers there, so I ducked in too. I squated in stinging nettle ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle). OUCH!!!!!!! I was maintaining a great pace for me. When I hit 8KM, I was still feeling great and had already beat my personal best which was 52:00 for 8km. My trusty Garmin said I was at 50:10 at the 8KM mark. I was not tired, and not out of breath. Feeling, surprisingly, good. The atmosphere was great with the people lining the streets cheering us on with music. Between kilometers 9 and 10 there were some steep stairs this time to go down( not up as they were not the first set of stairs), and I could really feel my legs were tired. I decided to walk then for about 1 min, then right back at it. The last bridge was really tough as it was just a steady uphill climb. But what goes up must go down and sure enough, on the downside i felt great. Why did I think I couldn't do this race?? At the end, my Garmin read 9.82 miles ( 15.72km). The farthest I EVER ran to date, i felt great, and I was really happy with my time of 1:44:00!!!! I think there is a HM in my future. DH finished 1:18:57. He is a bit disappointed, but I think ending number 762 from more than 5500 racers is not too bad...He expected a few minutes less... Oh...today my knees are a bit sore, but other than that...I feel fantastic! Here is the route
      I don't think I'd be really crazy about stairs on a course, but other than that it sounds like a really nice day and race. You didn't mention a mass release of balloons at the start, that must have been a bit of a letdown. It's so easy to become spoiled. Smile I hate to admit I got a good chuckle out of your encounter with nettles, ouch is right. You should be very proud of your effort, hope your knees recover well and quickly.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

redleaf

Congrats on your race! Shocked about the nettles though

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

msl

I don't think I'd be really crazy about stairs on a course, but other than that it sounds like a really nice day and race. You didn't mention a mass release of balloons at the start, that must have been a bit of a letdown. It's so easy to become spoiled. Smile I hate to admit I got a good chuckle out of your encounter with nettles, ouch is right. You should be very proud of your effort, hope your knees recover well and quickly.
          The stairs kind of stink, I agree. Its a blur for me, but I think there were 4 sets of stairs.Maybe 3...Can you believe I don't remember? I guess I was focused. I see you read my women's run RR! I did not miss the balloons this time. Once a year is enough for me! Smile My knees are super and I am heading out soon for another run!