New and wondering what to do next. (Read 720 times)

Hi, all!  I am new to this forum and to running as well.  I am just finishing up the couch25k program, but have run two 5 mile long runs, as well.  This may seem like nothing to many of you, but I could barely run for 3 minutes straight just a few weeks ago.  I generally run 3-4 days a week on the treadmill and then a longer run on a paved track on the weekend.  My workouts are posted in my training log, which I believe is public.  I would appreciate any advice on what to do next or how to plan my training in the near future.

1) Your log's not public yet (training log - settings - log preferences - make log available for all).  NIce work, public now.

B) plan your training for what? For a race? To lose weight? To just run more?

r) congrats on getting started and wanting to proceed. We'll probably need to know a little more to find out what you want to proceed towards to help though... 

MTA: now that I see the log...First, great job. Second, you've been at this pursuit a whole 15 hours now. All I can offer is - keep it up. One of the keys to the castle is consistency. Being able to do this week in and week out. Eventually (and maybe you're ready if you're asking) adding a day. Or adding a mile (or time) to each run. Then adding another day. And more time. Etc. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. There it is.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations!  In some ways, you are in the phase of your running that mirrors the time I look back on most fondly.  Your progress will be faster now than ever - enjoy it.

Run lots (in days, not miles), and easy, as G. Kevin says.  You don't need a detailed plan, but keep your interest by varying your courses, and entering organized races regularly.  Maybe hook up with a partner or running club if available, too.

Keep in touch here - there is immense help and encouragement available whenever you need it.

ohanapecosh

Your log doesn't list any PRs, so I'm guessing you've never entered a race . You might enjoy entering a local 5K - big or small.  That would be my advice.  Try a local 5K, get a PR in the books, and go from there.

I guess my main goal is to keep at it, not get bored or injured. Changing up the pace or hills on the treadmill, I guess, would be where to start on that.

Since I am limited on time during the week, I have been trying to push myself on my long run on Saturday.  I feel 5 miles is a huge accomplishment. I also know that I should not increase that distance significantly for a while.  Maybe in 2 weeks I'll go for 5.5 or 6miles.

I have considered entering a local 5k, if I happen to find one.  I am not actively looking for one.  My goals are not really to compete with anyone but myself at this point, but entering a local race for charity might be fun.

Thank you for being so positive!  I appreciate everyone's feedback.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

MTA: now that I see the log...First, great job. Second, you've been at this pursuit a whole 15 hours now. All I can offer is - keep it up. One of the keys to the castle is consistency. Being able to do this week in and week out. Eventually (and maybe you're ready if you're asking) adding a day. Or adding a mile (or time) to each run. Then adding another day. And more time. Etc. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. There it is.

+1. On your yoga days do 1 mile. In a month's time you could  add  10 miles. Do not go past 1 mile because of  time constraints.Going past the mile marker can prevent you from running  the next time. Self control is the key. It is sometimes harder to stop a run  as it is to start  a run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

You won't get a better answer than this.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I guess my main goal is to keep at it, not get bored or injured. Changing up the pace or hills on the treadmill, I guess, would be where to start on that.

Since I am limited on time during the week, I have been trying to push myself on my long run on Saturday.  I feel 5 miles is a huge accomplishment. I also know that I should not increase that distance significantly for a while.  Maybe in 2 weeks I'll go for 5.5 or 6miles.

I have considered entering a local 5k, if I happen to find one.  I am not actively looking for one.  My goals are not really to compete with anyone but myself at this point, but entering a local race for charity might be fun.

Thank you for being so positive!  I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Two comments:  More times per week will be better than more miles on Saturday, even if those additional runs are only 15 minutes.  And, when we ordinary mortals enter races, our goal is not to come in first; we are still competing foremost against ourselves, but in a more exciting and fun setting.  Don't rule out the races because you feel you won't be competitive enough.

Two comments:  More times per week will be better than more miles on Saturday, even if those additional runs are only 15 minutes.  And, when we ordinary mortals enter races, our goal is not to come in first; we are still competing foremost against ourselves, but in a more exciting and fun setting.  Don't rule out the races because you feel you won't be competitive enough.

+1 - This pretty much nailed it...........and I can only state again that you are better off to go more days even for shorter runs than to try to get the weekend runs too long..........

I would encourage you to find a nice local 5K race and go start LAST and just run the distance for what ever pace or time you run (it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are to begin with)....   In any race there are only 5 to 10 runners that are actually competing and the rest of us running SHLUPS are just out there for the environment, to be around other runners and to use our time to see if we are getting stronger.....95% of us are competing only with our past times and seeing how much we have improved.   

Congrats on running 5 miles -- the first time you run 5 miles, it IS a big deal and a major accomplishment..........Keep it up and keep on running....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Thanks guys!  I have time off from work this week, so have been using it to get out in the morning, to the park, and run at least 3 miles a day, so far.  I find that I really enjoy getting up and going in the morning, I only wish it could work out with work.  Oh, well.  Maybe I should revamp my schedule to include 2 or 3 runs at the park a week (Friday, Sat, Sun) instead of most runs on the treadmilll at the gym.  The reason I am so stuck is that the gym is only available on Mon-Thurs after work (treadmill, elliptical, bike, and weights avail.) and not available during holidays or summer.  The park is 11 miles or so from my house, so only works for after work, weekends, holidays, summer.  My neighborhood is not condusive to running because my road is not paved, there are stray/aggressive dogs, there are no street lights.  I agree that getting in more days and time is the best way to improve, I just need to set a better schedule.  All of the yoga videos on my log are from when I either wanted 2 workouts a day, extra stretching, or I could not get to the gym or park that day.

Any advice on how to revamp my schedule?