Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

On the subject of where you'll come at about 20 min pace - results for my local weekly 5k:

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cambridge/results/latestresults

That's this week - you can click through to see other weeks. Normally 20 mins will put you between 20th and 30th place.

I love the parkrun concept.  I hope it migrates to this area soon.  What a great antidote to the boom in hyper-commercial, for-profit races.  Also, I bet with the opportunity to race as often as you want, you can really learn to race a 5K.

Hi Everyone,

Been busy and haven't posted here...

I hit 20:21 on Jan 21. 

The cool thing is that I wasn't trying to break 20:00 for this race, and still got close.  It's not an easy course, and I wasn't rested - I'm training for a Half Marathon on 3/18.  So, I was very encouraged - the extra volume is paying off.  I'm hitting 30 miles per week now, well above the 20 miles per wk normal for me.

I'm looking to take a shot at sub-20 in April, soon after the half - course TBD.

good luck all!

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I love the parkrun concept.  I hope it migrates to this area soon.  What a great antidote to the boom in hyper-commercial, for-profit races.  Also, I bet with the opportunity to race as often as you want, you can really learn to race a 5K.

It relies on local people organising it.... but the organisation has all sorts of stuff that makes it relatively straight forward. There are parkruns in quite a few countries now; although as far as I know not the US.

Hi Everyone,

Been busy and haven't posted here...

I hit 20:21 on Jan 21. 

The cool thing is that I wasn't trying to break 20:00 for this race, and still got close.  It's not an easy course, and I wasn't rested - I'm training for a Half Marathon on 3/18.  So, I was very encouraged - the extra volume is paying off.  I'm hitting 30 miles per week now, well above the 20 miles per wk normal for me.

I'm looking to take a shot at sub-20 in April, soon after the half - course TBD.

good luck all!

Great time! I don't know that I could run a sub 20 on only 30 mpw.

I think this shows though if you get up to 40 mpw for a short time you should be a sub 20 runner.

The small sacrifice you must make to add mileage will be worth it when you are a sub 20 runner.

Great time! I don't know that I could run a sub 20 on only 30 mpw.

I improved from a 21:22 to a 19:52 over the course of one cross country season running only about 25mpw (with the other newer runners).  Adding mileage is definitely the easiest way to go sub-20, but it's not the only one.  We were running 6 days a week, with one tempo/speed day, one race, and 4 easy 30-45 minute runs.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I'm pretty sure my current level of training is going to put me over the top.  I ran 20:05 in December with 20-22 miles per week.  Besides the mileage increase, I hitting my key workouts consistently each week (speed, tempo, and long). 

Main reason I'm not going much over 30 mpw is I'm resting on some of my scheduled "easy" days.  Once I get used to this, I'll add more miles from that.  It has been a significant sacrifice to hit 30mpw, but yeah, if I need to I'll hit 40 later this year, I will do it - I'm getting this done!Cool

P.S. for Troy

That 1/21 Race was called "Greenville News Run Downtown"

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

The list again...this is from yesterday February 9

I am not trying to pick on anyone who has lower mileage. 100 miles is still alot of miles and some of us may be injured or not logging all mileage. I just like numbers so  check out your position compared to others on this board. If I missed you please let me know so I can add you.

1 rgilbert 427

2 daddyo 362

3 squirrel runner 296

4 Rob k 287

5 EGH 279

6 pr100 271

7 mr PH 267

8 dbilenkin 254

9 Troy 252

10 slohand 252

11 smanning 249

12 ndhitman 239

13 stadjak 239

14 awoldvogel 238

15 CR 237

16 rick stone 237 

17 Rootie Kazootie 227

18 duke db 222

19 rubhadub 221

20 rmackey 218

21 Clevland Mark 209

22 jufluco 209

23 jaxn 204

24 jons3116 196

25 malr 190

26 mstuartm 187

27 willie mn 179

28 sjutton 163

29 Clive F 146

30 Mich Flyer 146

31 Chris H 143

32 political quibn 132

33 d johnson 129

34 jehu 127

35 nicknack 103

36 Eddy 101

37 snowsickle 90

38 dontpunchit 84

39 cruzin v8 39

Prince of Fatness

8 mr PH 267

I need to run more.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Srsly.

Angolajones

Sign me up.  It is good to have a goal.  Didn't run a race since 2003.  That was a 10 miler with a nagging blister for the last 3 miles.  1:20.  Started out at 230 pounds last year and down under 200.  Upping miles for a mini so will try to get in some 5k's.  Did run a 5k in October just under 24 minutes as my baseline.  Best time was of course in high school at 16:30.  Won't ever see that time again but hopefully sub 20.

Jonesy

Indy Mini in May

Warrior Dash in August

MDI in October

Slo

5 EGH 279

6 slohand 273

7 pr100 271

8 mr PH 267

You grabbed my Bike commute miles for the year. Mile running is 264 (as of today)...sadly, mrPH beats me.

I need to run more.

Got it this morning --- 19:31 per Garmin (no official results yet).  My worries about traffic were totally unfounded.  There were 200 racers on a narrow trail, plus random people not racing who were on the trail (and a couple of bikes and dogs), but it worked fine.  Everyone was polite and let others by.  

There was a lead pack that went out at 5:XX pace and never looked back, so by the time I got to the turnaround and was coming back, everyone was staying on their side of the trail.  

I was also helped immensely by a woman who ran on my shoulder for a good bit between miles 2 and 3 (before leaving me behind), and by battling another guy right at the finish --- I have never sprinted so hard at the end of a race in my life!  

Considering that this is more than a minute better than my last 5K in November, I'm pretty stoked.

L Train

Wow, nice race! Congratulations. 

hairshirt knitter

Considering that this is more than a minute better than my last 5K in November, I'm pretty stoked.

Yay, nice one. Congrats.

Congrats Mark!