Pollen allergy (Read 654 times)

For 2 weekends in a row I did my long run along a wooded trail when cedar pollen counts were really high.  My nasal functions just went haywire immediately afterward and the misery lasts at least overnight, so I highly suspect that I'm allergic (never realized it before because I was an indoor person until recently). I searched online and found various remedies and such, I'm wondering what had worked for RA'ers here? Are there anything preventive I can do before or during the run? Without knowing the severity of my condition, I'd like to try something less invasive first before seeing allergists or getting medicated. Thanks.

I'm allergic to cottonwood something fierce, which was an issue before I even started running.  Watery and itchy eyes coupled with enough congestion to make me sound like an eighty year old chronic smoker is a hoot.  For me, personally, Zyrtec is the magic bullet.  I only need it for a couple weeks a year, but it works for me well enough that it's a permanent part of my backpacking med kit.

YMMV, but for some people, covering up their eyes helps.  I don't wear contacts, so mine *always* are and it never helped. 

Unfortunately, none of the homeopathetic/natural remedy bull helped me--and never really does. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

Thanks rgilbert. I'm getting better now but the nose congestion is still affecting me, even though the pollen count had gone down significantly since yesterday. How long do the allergy symptoms last AFTER the allergen is gone from the environment? I was hoping I would magically get better once the pollen is gone but apparently that is not the case...

*Shrug.*  I'm not sure how long the pollen keeps on affecting most people.  Personally, the pollen starts bugging me, is terrible for 2-3 days, then tolerable for the same amount, then gone.  Lather, rinse, repeat if there's another strong surge in pollen levels.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

It takes me a few days to clear up after the juniper pollen count drops.  I prefer to suffer through it rather than taking meds.  I'd consider wearing a dust mask when running along that trail.  Fashion statement.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Oh, c'mon now .... no one's gonna post a picture of Galen Rupp with the pollen mask?   Wing, try this:

Needs more cowbell!

I have never been officially tested, but my mom is confirmed allergic to cats, dust mites and mold and our symptoms are pretty much carbon-copy.  We both live in old houses with cats, so there's no getting away from our allergens, unfortunately.

Spring and Fall are definitely my worst seasons.  Generally Summer is not bad and once we've had some solid freezes and snow my allergies let-up a bit.  Since we're having a freakishly warm and nearly snow-free Winter my Fall allergies (most likely due to outdoor mold) are definitely lingering.  I take Zyrtec 365 days/year.  This year I will take it 366 days. Wink

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)