2:00:25 (Read 326 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At this point, somebody has to be thinking it...so I'll ask the question: How was this pacing assistance much different from Paula's WR?  Forget the shoes and the Tesla and all that. From a pure rabbit perspective, those guys did real work for Paula and they were NOT in her race. I don't see that much difference from this.

I don't think Paula had six pacers running in formation right in front of her the entire race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

pedaling fool

Sure it's marketing, etc. but I think it's a lot more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsL-9i8rd30

After watching that, I can appreciate Spaniel's point a little more.

I agree, sure there's some marketing, but there's a lot more to it.

I just watched the video and I didn't know about the car, which seemed to be blocking a substantial amount of air for the runners; although, I'm not sure how much it factored in. If anything, this shows just how much of a barrier this sub 2-hour goal is. I'd love to see more attempts like this, even though it will not result in a WR, but it does have other things to offer to show us about human limitations.

I'm also curious on why the other two runners fell way off pace. It could simply be because they were having a bad day or maybe all this just doesn't provide as much benefit as we think. Only more attempts will help in answering this question.

BeeRunB

I don't think Paula had six pacers running in formation right in front of her the entire race.

From Wikipedia:

That 2:15:25 is a HUGE jump in progress. It appears there was some kind of help on that day. Maybe not. Perhaps, it's just a performance that'll never be broken. But with all these great runners since 2003 not even coming close. It does make one question it.

jfa

Think what that does to racers in legit WR-eligible races....perhaps this will cause them to be more aggressive and view the carrot as not quite so far in front of their noses.  Get a few of the top guys show up together when the probabilities line up to present near-ideal conditions on a record-eligible course, and have a 2:00:XX in their minds instead of 2:02:00 for what is in the realm of possibility, and amazing things are more likely to happen.

I go back to, if the deck was really insanely stacked, why could only 1 of the 3 even keep pace for a respectable distance?  2 of the 3 unraveled pretty early.  He was clearly on a different plane of fitness than the others.

Some great points here.

Not only that, but let's think about the young kid, (probably Kenyan or Ethiopian but maybe not) , that reads or hears about a guy that ran a 2:00:25 . Not much in the way of other details but that breaking 2 would make you the best in the world. Maybe that kid grows up hell bent on getting the record. Very hard to do, but it could happen.

It sets the bar higher which is what racing at that level is all about anyway.

Feeling the growl again

From Wikipedia:

That 2:15:25 is a HUGE jump in progress. It appears there was some kind of help on that day. Maybe not. Perhaps, it's just a performance that'll never be broken. But with all these great runners since 2003 not even coming close. It does make one question it.

Even her 2:17s were out in no-women's-land until April 2017.  I tend to think she was just an outlier of ability.  U Bolt occupies a similar level.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

Even her 2:17s were out in no-women's-land until April 2017.  I tend to think she was just an outlier of ability.  U Bolt occupies a similar level.

Why are they categorizing the WR's into "mixed gender" and "women only"----are the governing bodies saying the 2:15 run with men pacing her had an advantage over women running against each other by themselves? Is this just a a Wikipedia thing or are the governing bodies actually saying there are two women's WR's?

joescott

I'm also curious on why the other two runners fell way off pace. It could simply be because they were having a bad day or maybe all this just doesn't provide as much benefit as we think. Only more attempts will help in answering this question.

You know we have been saying that, but didn't Tadese run a 2:06, and wasn't that a 4-minute PR [according to one news source I read]?  Sure, the guy is the half-marathon ace, but I think even at world class, there is a huge difference between a half marathon and a marathon.  Who is to say that he was not helped a lot by this whole setup?  A four-minute PR is pretty huge, even if "on paper" a guy who can run a sub-59 HM should be able to run a marathon better.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

Desisa was also injured during his build up, hence the 2:14...

Though in many cases if he had a day like that at a major marathon, he'd just drop out at 16 miles.

Know thyself.

npaden

This whole thing has really helped me comprehend the HUGE gap between mortals and the world elite professional runners.

At a local race this weekend the winner set a new course record for the 6 mile distance with a 33:48.  A 5:38 pace.  This was somewhat of a soft course record, it does have a pretty big hill, but it is an out and back so you get the elevation back anyway.

At the pace these guys were running they would have been over 1 mile ahead of the guy who set our course record that was about 15 years old.  And they still would have had 20 more miles to run at that same pace.

I also noticed a local Division 1 track meet was held this weekend and the 5k was won in 14:12.  These guys ran their 2nd 5k split faster than that!  On their way to running 26.2 miles.

I realize the conditions were stacked for them, but it really is amazing how much faster these guys are than even the fast regional type runners.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

pedaling fool

This analysis is kind of old, but I just came across it and thought he did a good job. What I liked is he mentions the huge clock on top of the car, which always stuck out to me, but I didn't hear much about it, rather most were commenting on all the pacers.

https://sportsscientists.com/2017/05/pursuit-sub-2-marathon-next/