Illness, antibiotics and training... (Read 674 times)

grateful runner

17 Days ago - bad case of strep and a double ear infection. (I'm a teacher, these things happen) 2 rounds of antibiotics later, I'm not 100%. In fact, I missed a dose and my throat hurt. I am going back tomorrow to get more. 1 month from now - 1st Marathon. I'm running more than ever and being conservative with my workouts, but I am definitely in the shape of my life. Read that my immune system might be low right now. Here's the question: 1) Ditch training and heal. 2) HTFU and save healing for my taper (about 2-3 weeks away) 3) get a new doctor who will give me something other than penicillin that works.
    2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Sorry for your troubles. There is no doubt in my mind that having a doctor that understands your life be you teacher, pilot, mom, runner, cycllist, rather than just treating your symptoms is important. Did your doctor take a blood test so that they can check your white blood cell count? According to my doctor, when you have been sick for more than week, it is a good idea to take blood so that it is easier target your antibiotics. Good luck!
      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What meds did you take? Penicillin is great for strep. It is not great for ear infections. It would surprise me if you got penicillin. I am not sure what is meant by treating symptoms in this case. The OP was diagnosed with strep and otitis media, both diseases (not symptoms) that require antibiotics. A white count is usually not helpful with these illnesses.
          You should get off the antibiotics and switch to pain killers and try to ride out the storm, next time you won't get sick.
            Why not mini-taper? I did this a few weeks ago when I got strep. I simply took 4 days off, and still felt horrible after my first run, but slowly it got better. Why not just take 3 days off? If you are in the shape of your life, 3 or 4 days to rest will not hurt you that bad.
            2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
            Kimmie

i'm with Ben. I ran while sick a couple of weeks ago and I now I really wish I hadn't. Just one run after the other that was horrible. I should have just taken three days off and then got back to it.
              grateful runner

thanks all - A few days off are making a lot of sense. I went to my regular doctor (instead of my employer's clinic) and he thinks that I was misdiagnosed with the strep and the antibiotics were not at all necessary.... Still feel like crap. This is my second run at marathon training. The first ended in busted feet and set me back 8 months... Positive thoughts!@!@!
                2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month

Lia's Daddy

I was in a similar boat. I just missed an entire week of training do to a pulled muscle followed by a fever and intestinal bug. When my body needs to tell me something it seems to scream it. I was bed-bound for two days and I finally was able to run on Sunday. Even as weak and dehydrated as I was I still pulled off an 11 mile run without much effort. Now I feel much more confident that, although the sickness was not ideal, I am still going to be able to complete a marathon in a few weeks. Hang in there! You will do great.
                  "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen