Goal setting for a newbie (Read 749 times)

On the one hand I'm enjoying just running and that is great. I am just finishing C25K, started running at the end of April this year. I'm thinking to start the one hour runner next and then just try to maintain as much as possible through Oct to beginning of Feb, when I'll up my walking mileage dramatically but need to chill on the running. In Feb I'll be able to pick up more running and other training again. Setting longer range goals is something that really helps me. I don't want want to be unrealistic but I don't feel happy with a purely run and see what happens approach, it just doesn't suit my personality. So I'm thinking of the following. End of March 2009 - women's duathalon 3.5K run - 10K bike - 1.5K run Beginning of June 2009 - 10K end of August 2009 - 10K fun run associated with the following half mara (really just a big group training run). Mid September 2009 - half marathon I would do all of these just to finish, not race, of course. Do you think this sounds ridiculous? There are few short races around here and I literally can't find any 5Ks in my area that aren't hardcore trail runs in the mountains so suggestions to do shorter races are well taken but I really can't do that. Is all of this too much to ask for a new runner that started in April. I don't care about going too fast too soon but I really just want to take part in some events you know and look forward to them to help motivate me. My plan would be to work up to 5K distances on regular runs starting with whatever I can handle when I get back to town in Feb. After the duathalon I would just focus on base miles and then switch to 10K training an appropriate time before the 10K after the 10K I would have about 16 weeks until the half mara and I would go into a 16 week half mara training program at about that time.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      Far from ridiculous. I ran my first HM about 2 months after finishing C25K and two 5 milers in between as well. If you increase your mileage intelligently, you will be fine. I don't have the benefit of seeing your log, but doing a 10K fun run may be doable for you this year. I'm right there with you on needing something on the calendar to keep me motivated. Sounds like you are on the right track.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Half Fanatic #846

I would do all of these just to finish, not race, of course.
        Ha! You'll be racing a lot sooner than you think. Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Hey Bonkin, Thanks for the kind advice. There is a 10K fun run this year in my area. It is the last week of August. I have been toying with the idea and by that time I should have finished the one hour runner. I just joined the community so will start using the training log on here. it is such a great tool eh. Cheers, wee
          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
          • Complete a 10K fun run
            Since you are young you should gain fitness more quickly and easily than an older runner; I think you will progress faster than you think. i commend you for taking the long view and planning ahead. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Queen of 3rd Place

I think you'll do fine! That duathlon looks really fun! Even though I suggested starting with a 5K, I was in the same boat as you, didn't find a local 5K so signed up for a 5 mi race! I did just fine, even though I was really nervous come race day as it was my first 5 mi run ever! It was so much fun, so many nice folks, everyone cheering other people on even if they were super-slow - I was hooked for good. It's great that runners show so much support for both racers and for folks that are just out there to finish, it really gives you a boost after all those long, sometimes-lonely miles! Arla

Ex runner

Hey Bonkin, Thanks for the kind advice. There is a 10K fun run this year in my area. It is the last week of August. I have been toying with the idea and by that time I should have finished the one hour runner. I just joined the community so will start using the training log on here. it is such a great tool eh. Cheers, wee
                You're welcome. I think the one hour runner is a great next step for C25K finishers.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I think you can do it...... Smile go for it!!!

Champions are made when no one is watching