Do you think it is rude to leave a track meet early once your race is done? (Read 183 times)

My kids went to catholic school that didn’t have a bus.

So, how did the basketball teams, and the volleyball teams get to their matches?  Did parents have to drive them to all of their games?  I didn't mention track and field team, since it doesn't seem to be an issue to have them find whatever way they can to a meet.  It seems unusual for a team sport to be treated in such a shoddy manner.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My kids went to catholic school that didn’t have a bus.

So, how did the basketball teams, and the volleyball teams get to their matches?  Did parents have to drive them to all of their games?  I didn't mention track and field team, since it doesn't seem to be an issue to have them find whatever way they can to a meet.  It seems unusual for a team sport to be treated in such a shoddy manner.

Yes parents had to drive kids to every sport. Middle school all the games were played in the same county. But high school was a lot of driving.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Wow,  that's amazing.  That would certainly save $ for the school.  Each time they would have to rent a bus - multiplied by every sport.  I could see why they would go that route, as it eventually would have trickled down to the fees for the parents.

It would be a lot harder to keep parents and athletes at a meet until the conclusion with this transportation plan.  I would think that an agreement would need to in place between the parents/athletes and the coach if there was a need to stay at the meet for the duration.  Was it allowable for the kid/athlete to drive themselves (and other athletes) to the meet?  I'm assuming that most of the meets were relatively close in proximity to their own school.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

There was a stadium that was 2 miles from the school. Several meets including the state meet were held there.

i think that was the only time kids could drive.

my daughter played HS basketball and that was the worst for traveling

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Village people

There was a stadium that was 2 miles from the school. Several meets including the state meet were held there.

i think that was the only time kids could drive.

my daughter played HS basketball and that was the worst for traveling

Yep. Weather is always crappy, too.

catwhoorg

Labrat

So much of a "it depends" to the answer.

If your racing is done, you probably should be encouraged to stay for the rest of the meet (assuming you have your own transport option), but with the huge caveat that it does become sunk time for the kid.

Who may have a boat load of homework to get done, or have another commitment to make it to, or ... or .... or ...

(My oldest is only 7, and her swim meets we leave at the half way point. As its generally already passed her regular bedtime, and she does have to get up each morning, even in the summer break (to get to her day camp))

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

What HS track coach would not have a rule forbidding athletes leave early??

Without special reasoning, you took the bus to and from school, stayed the entire meet.

Not to mention we changed at school, and the locker rooms were locked once we left, so getting into a locked school and locker room was difficult...

maybe times have changed? ha.

Parents, by all means, take off.

300m- 37 sec.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I used to take my running stuff and go for a run in the neighborhood during my kids' track meets.  I hated waiting around all day for one or two races.

Village people

I used to take my running stuff and go for a run in the neighborhood during my kids' track meets.  I hated waiting around all day for one or two races.

I usually volunteer to pass the time. I am looking forward to seeing some of the high jumpers at high school meets. They were impressive.

Parents should do whatever they want, stay or go, but the kids should generally stay (IMO), and they will normally be required to by the coach and that's okay.

I had two boys that played team sports and a daughter that ran XC and track. Track meets are brutal as compared to team sports or XC. Here in FL, they were on Saturdays, lasted basically for 6-8 hours, most of which was sprint or hurdle preliminaries (at least it seemed to me). In my daughter's last year, the coach would let me drive her over for the 3200, which was normally the penultimate event. So we would arrive an hour or so before the race. That helped a lot.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I leave all my races when they’re over. I don’t wait around waiting for the last person to finish.

Today, I had a high school track meet, everybody left once their event was over. There is no rules against it, but it is pretty rude to me.

When I wrestled we rode the bus. The last meat I drove myself because I had an hour drive home. I had a horrible last match and it was better to drive myself home than sit around waiting another hour to ride the bus and have a 45 minute drive home. There is always other things at play.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

As a coach I had two different situations with track meets.  Dual and tri meets were after school during the week and everyone was expected to stay the entire meet.  After the meet concluded they were also expected to help put away equipment like hurdles and standards.  For weekend invitationals and championship meets which effectively lasted all day we traveled as a team by bus so there weren't a lot of options. Team members were allowed to leave early only with a parent or guardian.  They were not supposed drive to and from the meets on their own.  Generally if a team member missed the bus they were scratched from the meet.  If they showed up on their own later, too bad.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.