Earphone Ban (Read 630 times)

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I just read the Star Tribune and read that Grandma's in Duluth and the Twin Cities Marathons are baning ear phones on the course. Here is the link http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1100668.html I thought since most of us train with them that we might not get to race with them.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

I thought since most of us train with them that we might not get to race with them.
      I always train with music, but almost never race with it .. especially in a marathon, where the people and the spectators and the scenery is part of the experience, IMO.
      2009: BQ?
        At the Indy HM there is a band playing loud about every 2 blocks so you would not hear your music anyway

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most marathons ban them. Most threat draconian measures if your are caught wearing them. Much of this is due to legal reasons. This marathon does not, but that's not the point here. Most of the time if you wear your headphones during a marathon, nobody will notice or care. That all said, why wear headphones? A marathon is a unique and beautiful experience. Talk to the people around you. They are far more likely to get you to mile 20 or up that next hill than a rocking song. Don't isolate yourself. Open up. Share the experience. Leave the headphones and the iPod at home.
          runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I personally have never worn ear phones either, but I figured that some runners on here are running Grandma's and maybe the Twin Cities Marathons and should be made aware of the ban before hand. I do trian with earphones but not very loud so I can here cars coming up behind me. Most of my miles are on gravel roads so I totally see the safety conconers from the race organizers. brad

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

By the way, I am running Grandmas and there is a RunningAhead group for the Grandmas marathon. I know a bunch of folks running it and we are planning dinner the day before...
              muse_runner

keep running.

I'm a headphone fiend. Without music, life is dull and uninteresting. Ah, but.... a lovely landscape on which to superimpose the latest techno and trance now we're talkin' where my pom poms?
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                mikeymike

I'm a headphone fiend. Without music, life is dull and uninteresting. Ah, but.... a lovely landscape on which to superimpose the latest techno and trance now we're talkin' where my pom poms?
                  Don't even get me started on all the gadgetry you race with. Between the iPod, HRM and Garmin its a wonder you can remember to put one foot in front of the other. Feel the race, grasshopper. Wink

Runners run

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ah, but.... a lovely landscape on which to superimpose the latest techno and trance
                    Techno and trance? Now we're talkin'. We should compare music lists. Where are your pom poms?!
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

a lovely landscape on which to superimpose the latest techno and trance now we're talkin'
                      Muse, here's a question. Do you run to techno/trance b/c that's what you listen to in general, or do you find that it helps you get into a running zone more than a batch of "familiar" hit favorites? And where the hell are those damn pom poms?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I just realized... I have WAY to much free-time at work right now... Big grin