KMT video link uploaded (Read 648 times)

Chris UK

I have uploaded a link to the video of my 50 mile run in the "I was on the Telly last night" thread - http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/eac44f66c5354105ab31e0de463611c9

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

JakeKnight

Hey Chris: I've been following your other thread with interest. But I want details! Specifically, what kind of training did you do? Any? Had you been running distances for a while? What did your parents think? Did you keep running after this, or was it a one time thing? How bad were you hurting afterwards? I'm very curious about all of the above, especially the training. By the way, in that first picture you looked just like "Elliot" from E.T. And no, I have no idea what I had to point that out. Just sayin'. Smile P.S. Next time I hear somebody whining about their overpriced, high-tech, space-age running shoes breaking down after 200 miles, I'll be thinking of 14-year-old you and those clunky shoes ... (and laughing). You didn't keep those shoes by any chance, did you?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

additional questions: what went through your mind before, during and after the race? Did you swear off running right afterwards? I think you could write a book about your experience.
        Chris UK

Hi Jake thanks for your interest - I will try to answer your questions as well as I can recollect. What kind of training did you do? Nothing specific but of course most kids were more active in those days. I biked to school and played football (soccer). I also ran cross-country well enough to become School Captain and place in the top 10 in the County Championships. I guess the furthest I had ever ran before that day was probably less than 5 miles?? What did your parents think? There was certainly some pride in my achievement afterwards but I don't recall anything much beforehand. Certainly there was no question of me not being allowed to do it. Did you keep running after this? I certainly did whilst at school but afterwards it was mostly football in the local leagues. I also did motorcycle grass tracking and sand racing for quite a few years. In my late 20's I trained for a Sports Star competition that was comprised of 10 events. I know at this time I could run around a 5-minute mile and do 10 miles in 70 minutes. In my early 30's I had a serious motorcycle accident and fractured my pelvis and wrist. I also had problems with my right knee and had to give up the football. How bad were you hurting afterwards? I got to Skegness (25 miles) in just under 4 hours running all the way. Coming back there are some quite severe hills throughout the last 10 miles - at least they felt severe after I had just run 40!! I had to resort to some walking which resulted in me doing the second leg some 40 minutes slower than the first. I presume now that I had hit 'the wall' but as I had no knowledge of what that might be at the time I just kept going. I guess a great deal of this was psychological - I had no fear of doing it as I didn't have a clue what I had let myself in for. Lots of other people would have been the same. I can tell you that of the starters (around 300?) only 66 made it back and some of those were coming home at dusk in quite a bad state. They must have been on the road up to 15-16 hours. I finished in 6th place overall - had I been allowed to do it in 1963 (the first year held) I would have been in 2nd place. After a soak in the bath I biked out to Ulceby Cross to encourage some of my friends home – that was another 20 miles on the hilly section – obviously I still had some life left in me. But it was a different story the next day when my legs would not support me and I had to have 2 days off school. However I was back on the Wednesday as large as life - and still wearing those school shoes. I think I must have worn them until I started growing. According to the local newspaper report I was less than 5 feet tall when I did it – not sure about that as they didn’t actually measure me!!

3000 miles

JakeKnight

I got to Skegness (25 miles) in just under 4 hours running all the way. Coming back there are some quite severe hills throughout the last 10 miles - at least they felt severe after I had just run 40!! I had to resort to some walking which resulted in me doing the second leg some 40 minutes slower than the first. I presume now that I had hit 'the wall' but as I had no knowledge of what that might be at the time I just kept going. I guess a great deal of this was psychological - I had no fear of doing it as I didn't have a clue what I had let myself in for. Lots of other people would have been the same. I can tell you that of the starters (around 300?) only 66 made it back and some of those were coming home at dusk in quite a bad state.
            Just amazing. And I think you're on to something - I think you're right about the psychology. It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you're doing, when nobody tells you to be afraid ... and children are special that way. You do realize that at some point you're going to have to do another 50-miler (if you haven't already), just to compare the experiences.
            Nothing specific but of course most kids were more active in those days. I biked to school and played football (soccer). I also ran cross-country well enough to become School Captain and place in the top 10 in the County Championships. I guess the furthest I had ever ran before that day was probably less than 5 miles??
            Wow - but isn't that the truth? I grew up in the 70s/80s instead of the early 60s, but even then the norm was to spend hours playing outside, running around, taking your bike everywhere. I suspect I was in pretty awesome shape as a 12-year old, with no intentional training at all. Even though video arcades were on the scene by the time I hit middle school, we at least walked or ran or biked there. As a 16 year old trying out for the high school soccer team, I could run a 5:30 mile. With no running training at all, I entered a local 4-miler and did it in something like 26 minutes. It's going to take me years to get back to that. It's a crying shame what's happened to recent generations. Most people at this board, no matter how old or slow they think they are, could run circles around the average American high school student. (And sadly, it'd be a pretty big circle). I did a 5-k a few months back and afterward helped a friend's 2 kids (like 8 and 13, I think) do a little half mile fun run after the race. Both of them just about died. After maybe 1/4 mile. They sounded like 3-pack-a-day smokers. Thank you, Playstation. I don't know how I'm going to make my future kids be more like you were and less like this generation. Sometimes I hate video games and television and computers. I'd like to blow them all up. Gaaah. My kids are gonna hate me.
            . I can tell you that of the starters (around 300?) only 66 made it back and some of those were coming home at dusk in quite a bad state. They must have been on the road up to 15-16 hours. I finished in 6th place overall - had I been allowed to do it in 1963 (the first year held) I would have been in 2nd place.
            Did anybody actually train for this thing? It's so cool that a bunch of average people (wearing their school shoes!?) decided to go try to run 50 miles. Your time is even more amazing - I can't believe you basically ran the first half as a sub-4:00 marathon in those shoes. So when's the next 50-miler? Got better shoes yet? Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Chris UK

You do realize that at some point you're going to have to do another 50-miler (if you haven't already), just to compare the experiences. Did anybody actually train for this thing? It's so cool that a bunch of average people (wearing their school shoes!?) decided to go try to run 50 miles. Your time is even more amazing - I can't believe you basically ran the first half as a sub-4:00 marathon in those shoes.
              Yes I think that little seed has probably been sown. I know that I probably couldn't do it (reasonably) at the moment. That fact in itself puts me in awe of those ordinary, older people in the film that just got up one Sunday morning and had a go at doing 50 miles. There is one lady in the film that is wearing a skirt and cardigan. Later in the film she appears to be wearing a 'pinny'. My wife jokes that she probably lived on the route and put the dinner on as she went by - and ate it on the way back!! Big grin Those Tuf shoes were so good they put cobblers out of business in the 1960's - http://www.fightingcobbler.co.uk/fc5.htm

3000 miles

Now that was a bath...

Chris, thanks for posting that! Fascinating stuff. I can't believe the clothing that people were wearing, Jake's right too - you wouldn't see that sort of spirit nowadays! It's a wonderful memory for you to have and I have to say - you were a totally cute little boy as well as an incredible one. Claire xxx
              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                Chris UK

Mile Collector - I hope I have answered your questions in the post that I made just above your own - if not feel free to ask away again. I doubt that I will write a book but I do have my own website www.netmarshall.co.uk so I may well publish the story in a different section on there. Kooky - Thanks and I'm going to blush again Blush Big grin BTW - I have just posted the last of my pictures and my Certificate into the other thread just to round off the story. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/eac44f66c5354105ab31e0de463611c9/1

3000 miles