Treadmill duration...... (Read 555 times)

So how long do you think a treadmill stays correctly calibrated? My TM at home seems much quicker than the one at the local gym. It is quite old and a cheaper brand......
      That assumes it ever was... (correctly calibrated).
      OverAnalyzer

ok, how do you calibrate or check calibration? Shocked is this like tuning a piano and I need to bring in an expert? Blush

skinnycaponesugar

Personally, I would try to adapt and listen to my body. I know it is annoying not having a number, but some degree of variation is expected between runs. Assuming that you can keep the same pace in both machines, all you'd need is the time it takes you to run the same distance on each machine. A footpod can give you pace, I think, but make sure it is calibrated Wink

Love, Run, Sleep

i use treadmill numbers as estimates and focus more on time....i dont really trust they are ever correct

Champions are made when no one is watching

Menace to Sobriety

I few years back, I was curious about this as well. At the time, we had two different models at my Y and I always thought on model was faster than the other, at the same set speed. I borrowed a hand tach from work and measured the speed of all the treadmills . I enlisted the help of a friend and took the measurements with him running on them while I measured, just to make sure they were under load when measured. There was a very slight difference in them all, but only a few feet per minute. Probably not enough for the average runner to tell. The difference seemed to be similar at a couple different speeds as well as between models. Interesting thing was the models I percieved as faster also had smaller decks. Now both these models are club quality TMs, probably selling for $5-7K. All bets are off for the $400 KMart variety TM. I've since changed jobs, and forgot to copy that file when I left, but I still have access to a hand tach, and we just got 10 new TMs at the Y. Maybe its time for another trial.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.