Wild West Relay Race (Read 417 times)

The race was a 195 mile 36 leg relay race from Ft. Collins CO. to Steamboat Springs CO.; affectionately called "Get Your Ass Over The Pass". We entered the 6 team member Ultra category, which means we each had to run 6 legs that ranged anywhere from 2.8 to 10.8 miles and ranged in difficulty, based on ratings from the race organizers, from "easy" to very hard...although I can say that after the second leg, nothing was easy, no matter what it was rated. Cry This race was, by far, the hardest thing I have ever done up to this point! We had six runners and one driver. Four of the runners have completed at least six marathons and one has finished over twenty five. The lone runner not to have done a marathon was the 17 year old daughter of the +25 marathoner. We got up at 5:30 AM Friday morning to get breakfast and head to the starting line; our first leg went out at 8. We finished at 3:32 PM on Saturday. Looking back we could have done some things a little differently to make sure we got to sleep a little. But that may have taken away from the whole team concept, at least in our eyes. As each runner took off our driver would take us to the half-way point and we would wait there for our teammate. Once they came into sight we got out of the van and cheered them on and offered water or a gel pack. We did this with each runner the entire race. We all agreed that all of the cheering was greatly appreciated...coming over a rise after a tough "hill" to see your team standing there screaming for you, knowing that they were also tired just kinda gave you a boost. Then we would head to the next exchange point and try to rest, which was next to impossible because the next runner would be getting ready; in and out of the van (too cold at night to stand outside the entire time). After the exchange there was no sleeping because the previous runner would be trying to cool down, change clothes, re-hydrate and get something to eat. After this was accomplished we would head out to cheer on our next teammate. Like I said before, there are things that we could have done differently. But after the race as we were eating dinner, you could just feel the closeness that we had developed and I believe that it was because of the way we were always there for each other cheering and offering encouragement and asking to help in any way possible. Our team spent the night in Steamboat Springs (where the race ended) in a condo we had rented. The next morning four of the runners and the driver had to head back to Iowa City IA., but before they left we had breakfast together. We saw parts of several teams we got to know during the race and they were surprised that we were all still together, as theirs had already split up to go back home. Some of them even mentioned how they knew which runners were ours by the cheering and yells of encouragement coming from our van as we went by. To sum it up, I think we did things the right way; it brought us all closer together. Even with over 31 hours of little to no sleep and cramped quarters we were all still happy to be in each other's company. This was a true test of endurance and patience when cramped together in a mini van for over 30 hours with no or little sleep. But it also created a bond among us that, I think, will last a very long time. Like I said, it was by far the hardest thing I have ever done...up to this point :-) There is nothing, for me like running in the mountains at 3 AM; an occasional runner ahead or going by and a team support van here or thereā€¦ Big grin
    "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Sounds awesome. Your review makes me want to sign up for the Reach the Beach Relay in New Hampshire -- a similar kind of race that's closer to home for me.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      db7

Hawk, Strong work!! I know the effort was worth it. Some of the best views in CO. Glad to hear it was a positive experience overall. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

That sounds like an awesome race and an incredible bonding experience. Great job! {Hijack} Ed4, I was on a relay this weekend with a girl from Boston who did Reach the Beach and she said it was a blast. You should do it!{end hijack}
          btb1490

What a great sounding experience that was. Being able to survive 30+ sleepless hours in close company with a bunch of people says a lot about that group. Congratulations!