Wedding weight loss vs running? (Read 1714 times)

LadyAudley

Hi everyone!

I have just taken up running after a year of ill health (I had severe anaemia for months - it was horrible).  I am really out of shape, lack strength and stamina, and - to be frank - I have way more wobbly bits than I would like!  I'm 5'4, 33 years old, and... 125 lbs, which is a miserable 20lbs heavier than I was a year and a half ago Dead

I have two goals for next year:

1. to lose that 20lbs in preparation for getting married in 6 months' time

2. to run my first marathon in a respectable time (in my head, somewhere between 3.30 and 4.00) - later in the year if need be  

BUT... I'm not sure how to balance these goals!  If I diet hard, then I fear that my training for running will suffer... if I don't, then I fear I won't fit into the wedding dress.  I know that for many of you serious runners the wedding goal might seem silly and trivial compared to the marathon, but it really matters to me that I'm back to my optimal size by then!

I've already made a start.  I had NO energy at all this time last year, so over the past few months, I've actually had to prepare to start running again.  I walk everywhere - usually covering 4-6 miles a day.  On top of that, I'm now running 3 miles a day, 6 days a week, but my pace is painfully slow (9-10 min/miles).  My daily run is on trails and has two large hills in it - one long and gentle, the other steep and utterly vicious!  I am struggling on both, due to lack of stamina.  

I have never been an excellent runner, but two years ago, I was running 6 miles/day with a 45 minute 10k pace and I also completed a mountain marathon.  So I know I can do better (and I'd like to go faster than my previous pace eventually - I know I need to, in order to achieve my marathon goal time).  I am planning to increase my running distance by 10% a week, as I've had ITB issues in the past and need to stay injury-free.  But I'm not sure HOW I should run - should I aim for long, low effort runs for weight loss, or shorter, harder runs that will train me up but might not achieve the same loss of fat?

Any advice?  Thanks!

Listen, I know BMI is far from perfect, but your goal weight is underweight by BMI, and your current one is in the lower half of the normal range. I don't think dieting hard to get to underweight is a good idea. 

I'm a guy, and the societal pressure is for me to weigh more than I do, but I can't gain more weight without being unhealthy. And I don't need to. My BMI is actually almost identical to yours right now, at 6', 155lbs. I can weigh a little less for short periods of time, sometimes do for races, but I certainly couldn't drop 20 lbs and stay healthy, I think you might be at a natural good weight for yourself.

Take care of yourself.

LadyAudley

Hi Viich!  

Thanks for the advice!  It's really caring and shows you take a really rounded approach - believe me, I get as sick as you do of girls trying to make themselves unhealthily stick thin!.  Trust me, the last thing I want to do is to make myself ill!  

However, I am absolutely tiny in my build so the BMI isn't really a reflection of the fact that at 125 I'm quite big, and that I can be sub 110lbs and really healthy.  Also, I suffer from terrible asthma at my current weight, but for some reason it virtually vanishes when I'm sub 108lbs - I also have far, far more energy and generally feel more alive when I'm thinner.  My doc has given his blessing to the weight loss for this reason, provided I do it gradually (i.e. 1lb/week). 

Julia1971

I'm not trying to body snark, but my guess is that you're what they call "skinny fat" and instead of running with the goal of losing weight, you should spend some time in the gym lifting weights.

I would also get a second opinion about your asthma.  I'm not a doctor, but that sounds fishy to me.  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm not trying to body snark, but my guess is that you're what they call "skinny fat" and instead of running with the goal of losing weight, you should spend some time in the gym lifting weights.

I would also get a second opinion about your asthma.  I'm not a doctor, but that sounds fishy to me.  

yes, this.

steph  

Scout7

At some point, training for performance and training for weight loss become divergent goals.  The reason is that in order to train for optimal performance, you have to eat right to keep up the energy.  In order to lose weight, you have to maintain a caloric deficit.

My thought is that the more immediate goal is the weight loss, so I would focus on that.  The benefit to this is that you can use this time to start building your running.  You're going to want to run most of your runs at a pretty easy effort, to try to burn more fat, and you're going to want to build your miles, since calories burned are a function of your weight and the distance you run (not time).

I would also look at incorporating other exercises, like weight/strengthening programs as previously mentioned, and become vigilant about logging what you eat and drink, how much, when, what, etc.

After the wedding, then focus on getting in marathon shape.

Im not sure just how overweight you are at 5' 4" and 125.....I doubt at all.

If I were you, I would simply run for the sake of running and to become a better runner.......I wouldn't think about the weight all that much but if you train properly for a marathon and run the proper miles, you will get to your ideal weight (what ever it might be).

Don't pick a specific number (like 105lbs) and assume your overweight or need drop lbs............just get in shape and get strong and weigh whatever a solid level of fitness gets you............

The number on the scale may or may not be what you want it to be, but you'll look GREAT.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I agree with the posts above.

In general, if you're willing and able to put in the effort to run a 3:30 to 4:00 marathon, you'll be in great shape and look great for your wedding.  I wouldn't worry about the scale.  The running effort will take care of the scale and your shape.

Whatever you do and choose, enjoy it!  And stay healthy!

Congratulations on your engagement and your upcoming wedding!

Cheers,

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Losing 1lb/week should not lead to a degree of calorie deficit that someone training at the level you plan to should have real problems with energy for running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LadyAudley

Thanks guys - for all the advice, and help (and congrats!).  

Maybe this is something that only really girls can understand, but I'm under a lot of pressure from my family for the wedding regarding my weight.  I used to work in the fashion industry and my mum is really superproud of that (in that annoying way mothers are, which makes you want to go crawl into a big black hole with embarrassment).  She would be really, really disappointed in me if I walked down that aisle at 125lbs and a size 3/4.  It's not that I'm currently overweight, it's that she has a tiny size 0/1 dress all picked out for me and has told all her friends the vital statistics I'll have on the big day.  I'm exasperated and a bit annoyed by this, but I can't bear to disappoint her, because she just cries and she's recently had chemo for cancer, so, as she points out, she deserves to have things her way.  Plus, I do genuinely feel better when I'm lighter.  I just want her to be proud and have a nice day!

I will try to build my mileage with slower runs, as Scout really helpfully suggests, and I'm going to keep running 6 times a week.  Thanks for the encouragement!  I hope you don't mind if I keep posting about my progress! xxx

I don't have an opinion on weight loss, but I think you are being too hard on yourself with the running stamina and current fitness.  If you can do 9-10 min miles on hilly trails, and are in the 45 min 10 K ballpark, a 3:30 marathon should be well within reach especially if that is about a year away, you already have the speed,  build the mileage that'll support a marathon distance and you should be good.

Lady Audley,    congrats on your wedding plans!  and I just want to say that YOU deserve thingns Your way as well!   continue to run 6 days/wk, enjoy it, very slowly build up the long runs & also very slowly start strength training (just begin by using your own body weight). then all you have to do is "finetune" your diet.  not so much eating less, but eating properly.  do these things & you will be stonger & with more energy.  set a goal of 10 lbs & not 20.    I am very concerned that with the combination of putting so much pressure on yourself with your mother's additional pressure along with the stress of the wedding stuff that you may be headed for a breakdown.    does not sound like a healthy situation between your mother & yourself, maybe you need to communicate your feelings to her about her controlling pressure.   This is your life & you deserve to be happy, healthy, & stressfree.. take control

Feeling the growl again

it's that she has a tiny size 0/1 dress all picked out for me and has told all her friends the vital statistics I'll have on the big day.  I'm exasperated and a bit annoyed by this, but I can't bear to disappoint her, because she just cries and she's recently had chemo for cancer, so, as she points out, she deserves to have things her way.  Plus, I do genuinely feel better when I'm lighter.  I just want her to be proud and have a nice day! 

Oh my.

I am sympathetic to your mom's health problems....however, is it really a good situation for your mom's happiness with you and your being able to feel she is proud of you to depend on you squeezing into an itty bitty undersized dress for a few hours?  I am afraid that under the pressure of the described circumstances, combining the weight loss you describe with a lot of training may get you into a dangerous place.  Please be careful.  Good luck with your wedding and marathon.

MTA:  Given your history of anemia, training for a marathon and rather pressed weight loss creates a very high risk or recurring anemia problems.  I hope you're on iron.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Marylander

Wow, I don't know what to say about your mother's opinions. Very sad actually...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Whose wedding is it, anyway?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.