can you estimate my 10K race? (Read 133 times)

Gizmo2019

ive logged in my most recent runs. if im in great condition and the weather is also great on race day, what is your prediction for my time?

im just wrapping up week 3. and my saturday runs are longer. 1st week i think i did 5.5 mi, then 6 mi, this week i plan to do 6.5 mi.

its a mesh of novice and intermediate of hal higdons plan

ETA: ive figured out how to upload my training schedule on here.

a couple more things.

i only run in one direction during my long runs for ease/time and so on the way back i end up facing 2-3 hills. im still trying to figure out the incline on them. but i usually slow down to about 4.5-5.0 mph speed. tho yesterday i let one of the hills kick my butt.

if im training on these hills, and i race on all flat or mostly flat, about how much faster can i expect to be?

also ill be unable to run my last week before my 10K race from mon-thurs) but ill be walking quite a bit 2 out of those 4 days. my schedule says to take off that fri and sat before the run on sunday.

would it be NOT good to squeeze one last run on friday? if so, what type of run would be best/how far? i know im supposed to taper that week but i just will not be able to run at all expect FRI and SAT before the race, i defly do not want to run SAT before the race.

should i just except it? not sure how to adjust the plan for that week and or how important it is to taper vs not running much.

berylrunner

Rick

Do a 10k time trial.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Gizmo2019

Thanks. Good idea. I’m assuming that’s not the same as my long runs which are, at this point, at and above 10k...?

SMART Approach

Definitely run Friday. 3-4 miles easy is fine. You will be stale if you do not run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

berylrunner

Rick

Long runs, easy effort.   Time trial, moderate to hard.  Don't push it so hard that you risk injury or training disruption.

I also say no taper.  If you have too much time off, you will bust off the starting line too fast.

Gizmo2019

Thank you guys

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This is your first race ever, right? You have practically nothing to go on, but that's okay; in fact, it's very cool to find out what you can do in your first race. Don't worry about it. Personally, I wouldn't run a time trial; for me, every race is my time trial. After the race, you'll have a lot of data and a lot to think about. At the race just start out at a pace you think you can maintain for six miles, and then maintain it. You might (probably will) judge it wrong one way or the other, but that's how you learn. Have fun! I bet you'll surprise yourself.

Gizmo2019

Yes first race ever. Nervous and worried I’ll be “slow.” I’m hoping to be just under 60 min. My outdoor runs have hills so I’m hoping that’ll help in my flat race course. And my treadmill runs are a bit faster...but still probably over 60 min...so...

i don’t know why I care so much about time. Maybe bc this is “official” and the times will be listed on a race results page forever within the community. I don’t care much about other things I do publicly but care about being fast.

Thank you

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think you can break one hour, but if you don't, you have plenty of future races to improve.  Have fun! Smile

Gizmo2019

Thank you!!😊

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Yes first race ever. Nervous and worried I’ll be “slow.” I’m hoping to be just under 60 min. My outdoor runs have hills so I’m hoping that’ll help in my flat race course. And my treadmill runs are a bit faster...but still probably over 60 min...so...

i don’t know why I care so much about time. Maybe bc this is “official” and the times will be listed on a race results page forever within the community. I don’t care much about other things I do publicly but care about being fast.

Thank you

Something which helped me a lot in my first 10k was lining up for the race near the back of the pack. I had only run 5k's previously and knew I would go out too fast. Starting at the back will be crowded with slow runners which will intentionally keep you slow to start and it will feel motivating as you pass slower people. My strategy was running the first 2 miles at long run pace and then picking up the pace a bit during miles 3 & 4. When you have less than 2 miles left, try pushing yourself and focus on a fast finish.

For your first long race, you will have a decent time anyway by being smart in your pacing. You want to end the race with lots of energy with the motivation of "that felt great and I know I can go faster next time". Starting out too fast and finishing with "holy crap that really sucked", it is going to kill your motivation. Running and training to run long races is a mental game and you will be able to improve drastically over time by keeping yourself motivated.

If someone you know is going to criticize your time for your first 10k, you need to get a new friend. I have shaved off over 8 minutes from my first 10k in less than a year and I love to be able to look back at old official race times to see how far I have progressed. Don't focus on your time, focus on feeling motivated.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Gizmo2019

AndyTN,

i like that strategy. I have absolutely no experience of performing in or even watching a race but I’ll try to line up in the back. That’ll keep me slow at first for sure. I know I’ll try to just shoot off.

this is my biggest issue..pace. I can never gauge what’s “just right” bc I want to get it done fast or test to see if I can get faster. I mean I’ve had really nice long runs where I was forcing myself to slow it down. Those felt the best. So I’ll have to remember how to control that. The thing that will be difficult is that BECAUSE there will be other racers I’ll have the tendency to try to keep up or compete.

its not that I’m trying to impress any friends on my race time. In fact most of my friends don’t run but the few that do are about 7:00 min pacers! I strive to be like them but I’m a long way (if ever) from that plus they are like 5 yrs younger and have more experience.

It’s more like....If i let my grays grow out for wayyy too long and I can’t find my hat to cover it up. So I go out in public looking like an idiot and possibly lazy (for not touching up my roots). And I run into someone...or leaving the house in raggedy clothes...

I know tons of ppl who couldn’t do these races for lack of motivation in training or whatever but I think I’d be embarrassed if I got a super slow time. Which is totally not the type of person I am!! If you knew me, I don’t care how I look (to an extent) as long as I hide behind a hat/sunglasses/jacket.

some ppl know that I run and think I’m dedicated or fast (maybe for them) so for the very few that I did tell I’m racing (I don’t publicize it) I feel like now I have to show for it...i was never athletic ...in fact a fat girl most my life (looking back it wasn’t too bad) so it’s a huge deal for me that  I’m competing in an athletic setting.

sorry for the saga

and thanks for the tip!! This forum is like therapy!! 😂

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I’m competing in an athletic setting.

It's pretty special being able to call yourself an athlete, isn't it? Smile

Gizmo2019

It's pretty special being able to call yourself an athlete, isn't it? Smile

🤩

It really is even tho I still don’t FULLY think I am one (bc I think I should do better 🙄). In the beginning when I got all the initial aches and pains when starting out a yr ago , my husband said: well you’re an athlete now!

Almost like a rite of passage...kinda was an eye opener!

berylrunner

Rick

I think you need to not care what other people might think about you.