Tricks to get your legs back... (Read 829 times)

Over the last 2 weeks my legs have been really hurting, especially on slower runs. So last night I got the ice bags out for the first time. After about 30 minutes on ice, two Tylonols, and a rub with IcyHot...I woke up this morning and hit the pavement with almost no pain. Any other tips besides Rest?
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

#artbydmcbride

A cool down walk and easy stretching at the end of your runs. I also like to take off my shoes and socks and soak in cold water right away or at least run the garden hose over my legs for a while.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Consistency. In my experience, inconsistency = soreness, pain, injury.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Prince of Fatness

I see that prior to the two weeks of running you had two weeks of no running. So rather than rest, I would suggest more consistency as JK says. My legs feel more crappy when I take time off than they do if I run consistently.

Not at it at all. 

All very good ideas, from what sounds like seasoned veterans. The only thing I can add from my experience is, that if you are suffering from true "dead legs", rest is the only thing that will really help. Usually this is caused by overtraining, or maybe just overdoing it for a few days with no breaks or "easy runs". I agree with the "consistency" statement. I had to change my schedule when my company opted for a 4 - 10 hour a day work week. I had to shift from running at 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 or 9:00 o`clock at night. There were some days when the heat and humidity were still so bad at bedtime, I just couldn`t muster through it after a 10 hour work day. Then, on the days off, even the morning runs are now feeling sh***y. All from simply altering my schedule. Anyway, just my .02
            "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."

Go Pre!

Couldn't agree more. The more consistent I run, the better I feel.
              obsessor

protein, dmso (or anything else like snake oil that makes you massage your legs.) switching up time of day. Yes, consistency. And try not to let your hydration get too low. Eat and drink plenty. Alcohol probably not the best (sorry, people)