Austin - whew, glad that's over (Read 391 times)

I too just ran Austin yesterday (congrats Erica!) My sister and bf came out from Houston to cheer and support me. thank goodness. i needed them. After a rainy and chilly saturday (whew knew Texas would be so cold? I'm from CA, so pretty much a weather wimp), it was with great relief that we woke up on Sunday to a clear, though crisp, morning. The weatherman predicted sun and mild (high of 65), and he was spot on. Though at the start time, it was a bit chilly, being packed in the corral with all the other runners kept me warm (like the emperor penguins). I signed up for this race as a last ditch effort to qualify for Boston this year (need 3:50). Having only limited time to really train, I joined the 3:50 pace group to help improve my chances, though this pace group would give me no margin. Never having run with a pace group before, I unrealistically thought the pace leaders would cross at 3:50:00, buying myself the 0:59 of margin I felt I might be needing. Of course, this is so unreasonable, but it seemed rational on Saturday! We were off to a good start, relaxed and easy (aren't all starts this way?). at mile 4, I needed to use the bathroom, but there were lines, so I passed it and another. The one at mile 7 only had two people in line, so I left my pace group and stood in line (I wish I were a guy!). It took more than 2 min! ack! I bugged out of the port-o-potty and was off to catch my pace group. I felt good and was cruising at 0:10 below race pace. After a few miles at this pace, I still didn't see my pace group and became concerned that I had actually passed them and tried to relax the pace. big mistake --- I hadn't, they were still ahead of me, completely out of sight. The hills started and between mile 10 and 11, rolling hills. the pace leaders had said "after mile 18, it's all downhill" (which was not true), and this was the first taste of the hills. they looked worse on the profile than they felt. my sister and bf were at mi 11 and things were going well. I cruised along, finding a few runners who's stride and pace felt good. I managed the hill at mile 17 ok, though there was no denying that it would be a challenge to finish in time. Around this time, I realized that my pace group was ahead of me, and that the tiny yellow sign bopping around in the sea of runners was them. They seemed so far away. I slowly made up the time, rolling hill by rolling hill, and by mile 21, I had caught one of the the pace leaders (he was hurting). I was in denial about twinges of cramping since I was so close and yet so far from the finish and qualifying. I actually had no idea how far off pace I was until mile 25 when I saw that I had 12:00 to do the last 1.2 miles. oooh, it was going to be close, with a climb at 25.5, I was scared. I got to the climb and it was just plain cruel. I don't know what to say. just cruel. somehow, i managed. With three blocks to finish, I looked at my watch and realized I would make my time. The blocks went by slowly but when I crossed the line, my watch said 3:49:07. whew. glad that's over. boston, here I come. aside 1: the other pace leader crossed probably close to 3:48, I don't know when the pace leader I passed crossed aside 2: powerade is pretty awesome. I got a great kick at every water / power aid stop, which was every mile. I've only drank it after runs (I usually do my runs with just water).

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

Super job! Enjoy Boston. You earned it! Nick

Another Passion

Congratulations, Karen on the awesome race and BQ! Well done!

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com