2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Arvind Balaraman

Happy birthday and congrats on the new AGe GRoup ilana

New age group today.  I had thought a 4:10 BQ to be ridiculous before, but now I am not sure I could even run that.  Though that may not be relevant as I'm not sure when I'll be racing again...

Running Problem

Problem Child

I am shooting for a 3:17-3:18 goal. This will give me a BQ-7. I have  a BQ-3 for 2019, It is not enough to get in. so badly need this BQ-7.

I am planning to follow the 3:20 pacer for 20 miles and push the last 6.

Wow. 3 minutes over 6 miles is a pretty big push. Best of luck. 3:07 will be a BQ-3 for me so if a 3:05 is in the cards I'd take it all day, every day, even with (non-hobby jogging career ending) injuries. Why do you think BQ-3 isn't enough? I haven't seen anything about the actual cutoff.

pj no second pacer jumped in? I'd be a little scared/worried/freaked out if my pacer just dropped out. I think it has happened at CIM, but I think it's why they have at least 2 per group. I'd assume everyone would move to GPS, stick as a group, and a few stand out studs would try and take charge/control of the pace.

keen nice workout this morning. I was thinking about you yesterday during my workout and trying to figure out the 5:1 rest:run thing again. I was unable to see how far back in the Sub 3 thread it was.

I modified my workout last night. It was planned as 4x(2T with 2 min E) at 6:40-6:50/mi pace. My 10K race pace is 6:47. I looked at the training plan with less miles and saw 2x2T w 2 min E + 3x1T with 1 min E. 7 vs 8 miles at T pace. I decided to walk half of the 2 min E to recover because I believe the focus of the workout is  to push heart rate just about to the point of going anaerobic, hold for 15 minutes, recovery and repeat. I cut the last 2T to 1T because I didn't think I had another mile in me, I needed to buy an anniversary card, and having done 7 miles at 10K race pace I felt I did enough. Elite 6:00/mi pace would have done 48 minutes of work. I did about 49. The Hanson's fanboy in me recalled a 3x2 mi @ GMP workout, but reminded myself it's comparing apples to blocks trying to compare training weeks from different coaches.

I had a slight soreness/uncomfortable feeling in the right foot for the rest of the night and I'm icing it now. I've had this before and I'm wondering if I should pick my "light" New Balance shoes for race day or the "heavy" Brooks. I was leaning towards the New Balance since I do a lot of speed work in them, however some website told me they're only designed for a half marathon. They have 300 miles on them.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

"I'm wondering if I should pick my "light" New Balance shoes for race day or the "heavy" Brooks. I was leaning towards the New Balance since I do a lot of speed work in them, however some website told me they're only designed for a half marathon. They have 300 miles on them."

If you're talking about the Zantes, I found that I only get around 300-350 miles per pair. Also, I did an 18.5 mile test run in them during this last cycle to see if they were suitable for the marathon and I got blisters. Stuck with the Pegasus 34s and happy I did.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- racing a marathon in lighter shoes is ok, but racing in shoes that already have 300mi on them isn't a great idea. if you can get another pair and wear them for the longest run you have remaining, just to check on comfort levels, that woudl give me some confidence.

arvind- are you running chicago too?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Arvind Balaraman

brew- racing a marathon in lighter shoes is ok, but racing in shoes that already have 300mi on them isn't a great idea. if you can get another pair and wear them for the longest run you have remaining, just to check on comfort levels, that woudl give me some confidence.

arvind- are you running chicago too?

yes running Chicago

Running Problem

Problem Child

"I'm wondering if I should pick my "light" New Balance shoes for race day or the "heavy" Brooks. I was leaning towards the New Balance since I do a lot of speed work in them, however some website told me they're only designed for a half marathon. They have 300 miles on them."

If you're talking about the Zantes, I found that I only get around 300-350 miles per pair. Also, I did an 18.5 mile test run in them during this last cycle to see if they were suitable for the marathon and I got blisters. Stuck with the Pegasus 34s and happy I did.

Zantes fresh foam. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Checking online information site...the pegasus is 9.4 ounces. The Brooks Launch I have are 9.2. Weight matters right?

rlk I was considering doing exactly what you suggest last night. Buying new shoes before a marathon with just enough time to break them in. I just have no clue what I'd buy so I'd actually have to listen to the experts at the shoe store. If only "vaporfly or GTFO" was a thing.

yeah arv is running Chicago too. There was a 3rd going but he has been injured and spends his time flying planes and taking photos with April marathon winners these days. I see your friend cal has found the sub 3 thread. I read his bio....damn! impressive.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

fb-guy

Ilana -- happy birthday, and hoping you can get back out there. Agreed on what used to sound like a stupid slow time. Men's 60-64 (my next race) is 3:55. chuckle.

We seem to have quite a few limping horses right now. Getting to the starting line.

Brew/Chicago crowd -- this is getting exciting. Great race; great city. On 3:05 vs. 3:10, I always used to decide at the last minute -- maybe on the bus on the way to the start. One memory of the Chicago race is that it is pretty tightly packed for a long time, unlike other races that can be tight at the start, but then thin out pretty quickly. But if you hang with either pace group, and then either do a reasonable fade (a couple of minutes slower in second half) or a kick-ass pass everybody finish (a couple of minutes faster in the second half), the crowd should be thin enough that it shouldn't be a problem with wasting energy working your way around people. OK, thinking as a I write -- finishing faster than your pacer is pretty challenging in any race. I would start with 3:05 and dig deep for a minimal fade. With your training, it doesn't seem like a blow-up is in the cards. Right?

I agree with not running a race on shoes with 300 miles. Isn't there still time to get a pair of your favorite shoe and run enough miles to just break them in. Nice. Fresh. Clean. Light. Good color. No blisters. Yes. It's Chicago.

RLK -- has CalBears appeared in sub3? I guess I would just go read it. How's preparation going for CIM?

DW -- you're also going to CIM, right? Did you sign up for B-town?

Max -- I'm late to this, but sorry about the crap Idaho race. I can't really image going 6 hours to find a place to drop out, but you do lots of stuff I can't really imagine. Hope you are feeling OK and have some good plans going forward. We need a big AirBNB for the whole family -- god knows where.

Me -- I got accepted at B-town today at -5:07; I'll bet it was close. I hear that the cut-off keeps getting faster and that registrations keep going up. I guess I need to shoot for -10 going forward, but hell, I'm old and they keep giving us more time.

One other thing. I'm going to try to shake things up a little, and see if I can keep it together with a mid-week MLR and a Sunday LR for the next couple of months, and maybe even some speed -- and then lighter days in between. Who knows if it will work, but it's a nub of a plan.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Arvind Balaraman

Hearty congrats on the Boston aceptance

Me -- I got accepted at B-town today at -5:07; I'll bet it was close. I hear that the cut-off keeps getting faster and that registrations keep going up. I guess I need to shoot for -10 going forward, but hell, I'm old and they keep giving us more time.

Pesto

ilana - happy bday!

brew - yeah, the kid is still there, not letting me sleep or visit this forum. She's lovely though.

All the best with Chicago, it's coming up real soon! I like DkW's idea of reeling the pacers in. And good luck to the others running Chicago too!

Regarding shoes, to me weight seems to play a role, probably mostly psychological. So given the choice, I'd go for the lighter shoe, provided I am comfortable in it and have a good idea that I'll be able to finish the race (i.e., I've tried them in long runs before and felt good).

Also, on the attractiveness of the 125th Boston race for 2021, I think next years is probably the most attractive since the 100th: 1-2-3rd.

max - sorry about the DNF, that sounds painful. But every race you do sounds painful to me.

fb - congrats on the b-town acceptance! I have a friend sitting on a -5:28 time still waiting for his confirmation. Does the fact that you got in with -5:07 mean that he is in and it's only a matter of time till he gets the confirmation? I'm new to how this works.

Also, I don't think I'll do Valencia in the end. Too much money, and I have to start saving for Boston. Are you still on for it?

Good luck to all the other botswana hopefuls!

Have a great weekend!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brewing - I never understood why Daniels says 2 min E in any of his T work. I've always taken that as a typo because they seem so random as to when they're added. I always walk for my recovery period between T work as I believe he meant them to be based on the fundamentals in his book. A classic scenario where you need to think about what he intended vs. what one of his aids just typed up in the back.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - I never understood why Daniels says 2 min E in any of his T work. I've always taken that as a typo because they seem so random as to when they're added. I always walk for my recovery period between T work as I believe he meant them to be based on the fundamentals in his book. A classic scenario where you need to think about what he intended vs. what one of his aids just typed up in the back.

NOW you tell me. I read his book once and went directly in to the training. We shall see how this works out. It's a little odd the workout I just did is exactly what is scheduled for Sunday with the exception of more miles after the work is over.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh I love that final workout with the 7E or whatever after some T miles. You should feel pretty good during those, i.e. you're getting close to peak marathon form.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW -- you're also going to CIM, right? Did you sign up for B-town?

I am doing CIM, yes.  I've entered Botulism to keep it open as an option, but I don't plan on running it.  Running it means that I have to skip many other spring races that I love (Cherry Blossom, Broad Street 10, etc).  My working plan right now is to fly up on Friday, do the BAA 5K on Saturday, actually browse the expo instead of doing my normal in/out, and then fly home Saturday afternoon.

FB - congrats on getting in - good to know about your entry cushion also.

Marathon shoes: I would not do a marathon in a shoe without having done a 14 mile run at a minimum in that shoe.

Shitty workout today.  3 warm-up, and then an attempted 5 mile tempo.  Made it 3 miles (6:32/6:32/6:35) and bailed.  My breathing got really bad, and it was obvious I was just digging a hole, so I pulled myself.  I hate bailing, but I keep reminding myself that when you're in a hole, the best reaction is to stop digging.  (And I also keep reminding myself that I don't need to be running well now; I need to be running well in December)

(reasons why breathing was bad?  100% humidity combined with high ragweed combined with a reaction to my allergy shot on Wednesday combined with being due for my next Xolair shot (allergy suppressant) - just a perfect set-up for asthma issues.  So those are my excuses.)

4 mile cooldown to get some miles in, and then injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh I love that final workout with the 7E or whatever after some T miles. You should feel pretty good during those, i.e. you're getting close to peak marathon form.

Encouraging words. Now to find a 7 mile segment for Sunday. I'm growing tired of the loop. Maybe an out and back. Then it's dealing with taper week which looks like 38 if I aim for a 9:00 pace leading into Sunday.

Just read this little piece of information. I think the expo will be busier at open on Friday. New shoes for race day is a thing right max? I think I'll stick with the Launch pair I have with only 150 miles. My foot should be accustomed to them and I'm not expecting a few ounces to be the make/break of my race. As much as I'd love to buy new shoes I think I'll wait.

North America:
                              On October 4, the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% Flyknit will be available at nike.com, select Nike Doors, select retailers and the Bank of America Chicago Marathon Expo.

dwave tell me about "bailing on a workout sucks". Seriously sorry for you having to quit but under those conditions it's impressive you got 3 miles before having to quit.

ace family okay in the Carolinas? I assume so since you're still jogging around town.

VDOT 53.37 

Ghettopops