A "perfect" run... (Read 1040 times)

Thank you everyone for sharing....I'll try to control my coffee intake from now on (to keep from another novel of a post that isn't a race report). WHICH by the way...here's a summary of one from tonight: On the heels of such a great run, tonight I headed into a 5k race (with Pam), and was really hoping for a PR. My ultimate goal is a 21 minutes, but tonight's goal was nothing over 22 minutes. Not the most ideal night to race being that it was 96 degrees and felt like 103, and the humidity was very thick. The course was very easy, the crowd was small (200 and some). My frame of mind was all positive, I wasn't even letting the heat stress me out. I ran the first mile at 6:58, the second at 8:01 and the last mile and .10 at 7:30 - finishing in 22:39. Nine seconds slower than my last 5k a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure why I didn't push myself harder when I realized I was nearing 21 minutes. I felt good, had a little asthma kicking in near the end but that never slows me down since it's so mild. As I came up to the finish line I could see the time and all of sudden I felt frustrated that I missed it. I kept going almost full speed into the chute, but I should have pushed harder that second mile. I could blame the heat but I hate to do that. I just know that I have to work on my tempo runs and speed workouts. So, my mission continues for my 21 minute 5k before my 36th b-day in November. Oh, and my other mission of a marathon, the one I'm running with Pam on Sept 9th Shocked ).

Michelle

Wally & Leela

I had the 1st perfect run of my life tonight. I was scheduled to do 5.5 miles tomorrow(the longest run of my life to date).....However, I decided to do it tonight since I have to work tomorrow and wasn't sure if & when I could squeeze it in. Let me tell you this 1st... To date my longest run has been 5 miles. And, I have never done more than 3 consecutive miles without some walk breaks during the run...usually never more than 2.5 consecutive miles without a short walk break or 2.... Anyway, back to tonight... I was slighty nervous/anxious about my run, since it was to be my furthest venture so far. But, I walked out the door and took off slowly (for some reason repeating to myself "the road to hoe - is low & slow"...not sure why, I suppose it just had a nice rhythm for my pace and reminded me to keep it slow & even. This little chant I repeated thru almost the entire run). At about the 1 mile point I noticed I felt pretty good.....and about the 2 mile point I realized it again. So, I thought to myself, If I can make it to the 3.5 mile mark w/o having to take a walk break, I'll fell pretty good about myself. As it turns out...3.5 came and I decided I was still feeling strong. So, I kept moving my walk break further & further....Until I had about 1 mile left on my run. It was then I decied to go for it. The whole 5.5 miles w/o walking once. Well, I achieved that goal. And when I reached the 5.5 mile mark, I still felt relativly good, so I decided to streach it some. And as it turns out I stopped at the 5.9 mile mark. I wish I would have know that I was that close to 6 miles....I could have cranked out another 1/10th of a mile. Oh well... I am just so excited that I felt so good and strong during this run. My legs felt so light & seemed to keep moving almost effortlessly. I wish all my runs were this perfect.....

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WTG, Robb--what a fantastic run! I'll bet your next long one is well over 6! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just got back from an easy 10K. It wasn't "pefect", but I will say that I had some of the comments from this discussion thread running through my head as I ran along. I was surprised at how much more of my surroundings I noticed, and I know this will sound weird, but I had so much more appreciation of just being out there. Thanks to everyone for sharing your comments! Crupp01 - nice job! You'll be knocking 6 miles out like it's nothing from here on.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

After reading this thread I went out for my run and thought tonight is going to be great. I am going to go where my heart tells me to. Instead of turning right as I always do I turned left. I ended up through the country with very little traffic but lots of wildlife. Horses, cows and even some goats were every where my attention was drawn. Next thing you know it's been 5 miles I feel like 3 million bucks and I have a renewed love of running!

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Wally & Leela

Watch out on your next run though.... I went on my next run (a 3 miler) 2 days after my "Perfect Run" feeling great about running....and let me tell you.... It was horrible. It was all I could do to finish 3 miles w/o stopping to walk. Undecided

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

The variables that make a run great or not-so-great are many, so get used to to the ups and downs. Remember, a perfect run, three or four times a season, is all it takes to keep us going. I had a 10 miler I did in the Adirondaks of NY back in '80 that was so perfect I remember it still, including the weather that day and who I was with!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Watch out on your next run though.... I went on my next run (a 3 miler) 2 days after my "Perfect Run" feeling great about running....and let me tell you.... It was horrible. It was all I could do to finish 3 miles w/o stopping to walk. Undecided
                  I had my run this morning and my legs weren't as great as they were during the run. Maybe it's because I'm new but man just getting out and moving makes my day.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

I had a perfect run today. I'd planned a long run round the peninsula, 18km. The weather was sunny with a bit of wind but nothing awful. Good running weather. I set off and I knew almost immediately that it was going to be a good day. Better than good. Easy, conversational pace seemed to be sitting around 5.35-5.45 per km. A lot faster than normal. I went with it and was just happy to be running well. But what really made it today wasn't the run, it was where I was running. The sea was just perfect, like a picture postcard, with calm beautiful turquoise blue bays on the west of the peninsula, and then round the point to find big waves dashing off the rocks on the east and south. People were out surfing, walking, cycling etc, everyone out having fun. And to top it all off as I came round the southern point I got greeted by the most stunning view across the Cook Strait, all the way to the snow topped mountains on South Island.