Tomorrow's 5K race forecast is: (Read 427 times)

stshipley7

48-50 degrees, guaranteed rain.

What's the best attire for this race?

-STS

Racing flats, a cap or visor to keep the rain out of your eyes, gloves.

Runners run

And shorts unless you are in some kind of "Take pride in your hide" kind of race

stshipley7

Racing flats check, shorts check, cap check . . . what kind of gloves? Standard running gloves (not knit fabric)?

-STS

Racing flats, a cap or visor to keep the rain out of your eyes, gloves.

Generally either the $2 cotton gardening gloves, or the Stickman Poly/Cotton blend ones with a running store logo that they throw in when you buy a pair of shoes:

Runners run

bhearn

Cotton gloves in the rain??

Sure, it will be alright. Those are the only kind of gloves I have ever run in for more than 10 years in any temps from 50 degrees to minus 10 and in all manner of precipitation. Plus it's only a 5k.

Runners run

xhristopher

If you get chilly just run faster.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Something warm to put on, and a towel, for afterward.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Stickman all weather cotton/poly gloves! (This picture is from March 2009 but I actually still have that pair and ran in them yesterday.)

Runners run

Resident Historian

Nice pic!

Maybe a trash bag with arm and head holes cut in, to keep relatively dry before the race, then discard right before the start.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

And what do you recommend for my Polar Bear 5K tomorrow?  Forecast is 34 degrees, clear, but.... very wet the last 100 yards or so!

Polar Bear 5K

Resident Historian

DNS!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Sure, it will be alright. Those are the only kind of gloves I have ever run in for more than 10 years in any temps from 50 degrees to minus 10 and in all manner of precipitation. Plus it's only a 5k.

Cotton Gloves as cold as minus 10? and in any precipitation? Are you sure? I kind of think you are pulling my leg here.

This reminds me of my stepbrother who I told one winter that if he took a hot wet towel and put it on his car windshield before he went to bed at night, he'd be able to get up the next morning and the hot towel would keep his windshield from freezing.  (Setting:  Kansas City, temp that night was fairly close to 0 degrees F. )  Yeah, he tried it.  Yeah, he was really pissed the next morning.  And yep, I gave him a ride to school since he was unable to get the towel off the windshield :-P

But to the gloves, seems like negative temps with wet cotton gloves would not be at all good for the hands, dangerous in fact?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Cotton Gloves as cold as minus 10? and in any precipitation? Are you sure? I kind of think you are pulling my leg here.

Yeah I'm really sure.

If your core is warm your hands will be warm, and if your core is cold your hands will be cold--pretty much period. Gloves (when running) are just to provide some superficial protection for your skin.

Gloves are like ski poles--they are the one piece of equipment you should spend like zero  money on. You'll get the exact same performance out of a pair of free cotton gloves as you will pair of super high tech maxi pissah ones from some triathlete catalog.

Runners run