Preparing for first Marathon - Base miles vs long runs (Read 933 times)

Hi everyone. I've decided to train for the Hartford Marthon Oct 11. My goal is to finish - I've never run anywhere near that far. I'm very active though so now I'm focusing my workouts on running. I'm looking at the Runners World Marathon Plan for beginners and it has base miles and then daily recommendations. The thing is, I like to run 4 days a week and the first 6 weeks or so of the RW plan is only 3 days a week with a long run Sundays that builds up over time. I drew up an alternate plan that includes 4 days a week with a long run (same length as the RW guide) and base mileage growing at the same rate. What my plan doesn't give me is 2 longish runs because I would prefer to run 4X a week. Any thoughts?

Queen of 3rd Place

You're planning to run a fall marathon coming off couple months of 10 - 15 mpw base? Most plans will recommend that you have a solid (say, a year) base of at least 20 - 25mpw...and more is better. I would urge you to reconsider, unless a high risk of injury and a miserable marathon experience appeal to you. Why not run a few 10Ks and a couple of HMs first? That being said, there are plenty of other plans out there, quite a few of them include 4 weekday runs plus a long run, I like the ones that have a mid-week semi-long run, like this:http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm Arla

Ex runner

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

arlahile brings up some good points about your base. That being said, a good way to go is to pick up a handful of books from Higdon, Pfitzinger, Daniels, Galloway and any other of the more prominent coach/authors. read what they have to say and generate your own plan based on what you've learned.
        Scout7

Increase the number of runs to 5 or 6. Two medium runs. One "long" run. Easy runs the rest, nothing shorter than 45 minutes.

Lazy idiot

Increase the number of runs to 5 or 6. Two medium runs. One "long" run. Easy runs the rest, nothing shorter than 45 minutes.
            When you reference medium, I'm guessing this to mean distance and not intensity? Curious.

Tick tock

C-R

The previous posts are good advice on building a solid base. I would be very cautious as the buildup in miles will increase physical stress and may lead to overuse injury. No fun. You will need to get a 20 miler under your belt which means you will be moving from your current average of 15 mpw to more than 45/50mpw in a span of 15 weeks. Agressive but possible. That being said the running plans provided by the experts are just that - their plans. You should tailor your plan based on your level of fitness and race goal using those plans as guides. I would say this - Galloway's run/walk program is good if you would like to finish and time is not a primary concern. You can build miles at a lower stress level. I've used it when I had smaller bases after returns from injury and came out well. Lots of good advice out here and I am certain others will chime in. Good luck on the marathon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Scout7

When you reference medium, I'm guessing this to mean distance and not intensity? Curious.
                Could be both, or either. Depends on where you're at. Early on, it'd be distance. Later, it might mean both.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not to deter you from your admirable goal, but I agree with Arla that you may want to focus on some shorter races first. Otherwise, slowly build yourself up to at least 25~30 mpw.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I ran a marathon once on a minimal mileage and not enough long runs (I was young and stupid then - and wouldnt listen to people that recommended I not do it that year).....I ended up with stress fractures and out of running for almost a year (I completed the marathon but that was about it)...........Every marathon plan that I have ever read says at least 1 year of running and you should have a base of no less then 20 or 25 mpw for around 6 months (as minimums)...... I want to run the Hartford Marathon too (cause the web site makes it look really great and pretty flat - and I live a couple hrs from Hartford)....look at my log and see that yours and mine are similar..... I plan to increase my base to 20/25 by Dec. and then slowly begin the build up starting in about April 2009 (just after I watch the Boston marathon on TV) and then run Hartford in 2009. You definately should taylor the plans to fit your style.....but you should also maintain acceptable guidelines to get you thru the big race.....you will NOT believe what happens to your body in the 23th mile....and you really need to be prepared for it. How about we plan on Hartford Marathon (2009).... and have a great run - without injury.....I'll buy you a beer at the end.. JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

One other thing that I just thought of.......Hartford also has a 1/2 marathon run on the same day....Go for the 1/2M...its a great challenge and you can be successful in a 1/2 in Oct.....get you on the right track....lots of people enter the 1/2... Check this training plan out....its the one I am using.......it might help or give you some ideas..... http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html

Thanks for the advice of everyone, I realize my base miles are a little less than ideal however I'm coming from working out 5-6 times a week since Jan (had ankle surgery in Aug/so had to ease back in). Workouts were aerobics, biking, rowing, etc and I was easing back into running which shows in my log as really low base miles) so although my running base is low - I was far from sedentary and continue a 1 x a week mtn bike, 1 x a week strength/aerobics and take off 1 day a week as a rest day although I only consistently track running here. Tomorrow is my 7 miler per Hal Higdon's 18 week novice plan (moved to Friday, since I didn't want to do the day after an evening of having fun!). Originally I thought about the Hartford 1/2 and it still may be what I do, but think I have the time to move the base up and run the full being that my only goal is to finish. Only the ankle could get in the way but its been pretty good lately as long as I do yoga once or twice a week. I took the Hal plan and adapted it.
                          What is the general opinion of other types of physical activity in relation to base miles? Is it just not counted if its not specifically running? I'd assume there has to be a benefit......cardiovascularly and otherwise (assuming you're using your legs in some way).
                            I dont really do other aerobic exercises so I dont really know......If I do other workouts, Its in the weight room or doing yoga.....and they complement running very well....

Hannibal Granite

What is the general opinion of other types of physical activity in relation to base miles? Is it just not counted if its not specifically running? I'd assume there has to be a benefit......cardiovascularly and otherwise (assuming you're using your legs in some way).
                              Other physical activity is great and it can keep you in decent shape either cardiovascularly, flexibility, strength - depending on the activity of course. However, there is no correlation from those other activities to running other than you aren't starting as a totally out of shape person. A perfect example of this is Lance Armstrong when he did his first marathon a few years ago in New York. Obviously, he had all the cardiovascular fitness anyone could have, but the longest run he had done leading into the race was either 14 or 16 miles and while he finished in a time much faster than most regular people can run (just under 3 hrs) he also called running a marathon the most physically demading thing he had ever done, not to mention ended up with a stress fracture. From my own experience during times when I have been injured and couldn't run for an extended period of time, but could still bike, swim, use the elliptical machine etc. I have been able to maintain my weight and some semblance of fitness (i.e - not pack on a lot of extra pounds) but yet when I start running again it still takes a few weeks for my legs to start feeling right and several weeks or months before I am back to where I was before the injury. Being fit from alternate activites may help you build miles a little faster than someone who was starting from no fitness level at all, and cross-training can be very valuable as a way to help prevent injury from overtraining or to work muscle groups that get neglected while running, but these other activites are not adding to your running base, only running does that.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara