Looking for guidance/advice - Background and Questions Below (Read 160 times)

AdamBryan

A little background:
    I’ve been running off and on for several years now, mostly to burn calories and work on general cardio fitness. I’ve done races here and there since 2002, but I have never trained for a race. Usually, I hear about someone doing a race and I join. About 2 years ago, I started running pretty regularly, averaging 20-25miles/week. Within the last year, I decided to actually do a training plan (through Endomondo) with the hopes of improving on previous times that I achieved without dedicated training. My first attempt, I upped my mileage and speed too quickly and got some ball of the foot pain and had to ease off. Two weeks later, I started running again and eased into increasing mileage and speed a little smarter. About 8 weeks into a 16-week plan I strained my left soleus muscle pretty bad and had to take a couple weeks off (this has been a recurring injury over the last couple years). I’ve gotten more diligent with my stretching and have been doing some eccentric exercises to strengthen/stretch my calves and it seems to have helped.

There is a 10k coming up on Labor Day in Lexington (Dam Run) that I am planning on doing an 8-week training plan for, this time from Hal Higdon. I have a few questions/concerns about training that I am hoping someone can help me with:

1. I’ve read that I should be running fast on fast days and slow on slow days, no medium days. The training plans I’ve been doing the last few months don’t seem to be increasing my fitness as much as I would like. My fast days (interval training and speed work) are certainly challenging. And I understand the importance of slow/easy days to recover. But I feel like I could see better improvements if I did faster, medium-paced runs. I am good with doing my long runs slow (8:30-9min/mile), just getting in the mileage, maintaining an easy pace and keeping my heart rate down. But on other ‘easy’ days, I feel like I’d rather run at a medium pace (7-7:30min/mile) and get the benefit of running faster. The concern there would be that I would be detracting from my ability to push harder on my ‘fast’ days.

2. With respect to tempo runs, I run them with the intent to maintain a steady pace for 35, 45, 55 minutes, but I also try and keep my heart rate between 163-182 (Zone 4). I could fairly comfortably run the entire interval at a sub-7min/mile pace, but my heart rate quickly gets into Zone 4 and even into Zone 5. So I either slow down to maintain under 182bpm or I maintain the faster pace and my heart rate goes above 182bpm. Which am I better off doing? My line of thinking is I would rather run a faster pace regardless of heart rate, but I don’t want to do anything that is deleterious to my overall fitness. Is it possible to run tempo runs too fast? Is it deleterious or beneficial to push myself?

3. I'm in SC right now and its 80F by 8a and 100F in the afternoon. Running in this heat/humidity, I know I should expect to run a little slower and my heart rate to get up a little faster, but am I still getting the same aerobic/anaerobic fitness even though I am having to run a lot slower to maintain the proper HR zone? I try and do most of my runs in the morning around 6-630, but occasionally I have to do them in the afternoon and I have to run incredibly slow to maintain my heart rate in the appropriate zone on slow days (I had to maintain a 930min/mile pace for 3 miles yesterday afternoon just to keep my heart rate under 165bpm). I don’t even attempt to do any speed work in this heat.

4. Speed work/Intervals: How hard should I be running these? And how recovered should I be prior to starting the next interval? This morning I did a 10-min warmup (8min/mile) and then 6x400m at a 5:45-6min/mile pace. The last couple I really had to run slowly during the recovery 400m to recover for the next interval (9-9:30min/mile pace). Should I be trying to get my heart rate back down below 165 (Zone 3) and get my breath back before the next interval? Am I running the intervals too fast?

5. Do I just need to be patient, worry less about my times and just build up my mileage base since I’ve only been ‘training’ for a year or two? That would be frustrating, but if I know it will benefit me over time, then I could do it. It’s just tough to run slower than I’d like to be running without knowing for sure that it’s helping me.

6. Does anyone know much about the Cooper Test? I ran it doing negative splits (starting at a 6:40min/mile pace and ending on a 5:20min/mile pace). Did I game it too much and therefore, it wasn’t a true measure of my overall fitness/VO2 Max? Should I have tried running at a steady pace the whole time?

A little bit of data on me:
    33yo, 5’8, 165lbs (probably 15% BF). I could probably stand to lose a couple pounds and put on some more muscle, but I like to eat whatever I want and don’t get in the gym as often as I would like due to work, family (wife and 9-month old son), and golf.
    Resting HR: 44-48bpm
    Max HR: 192bpm…that’s the highest I’ve recorded, which I did during the 12-minute Cooper Fitness Test I ran where I completed 1.98 miles in 12 minutes. So my max is something a little higher than that I would imagine.
    Estimated VO2 Max (Based on above Cooper Test): 60ml/kg/min
    Current weekly mileage ranges from 25-40miles/week

Current/Recent PBs:
    5k: 20:40 (My true PB is 18:28, which I ran during Navy Officer Candidate School training back in 2008, but haven’t come close to that since)
    10k: 45:24 (During a 50-min tempo run back in January, I ran 6.2 miles during that in 42:21)
    Half: 1:46:29 (Did absolutely no training for it and just ran the Half on a whim because a few guys that worked for me asked me to run with them). I imagine I could run closer to 1:30-1:35, but I’m not logging the mileage right now to do so, and I am okay with that.

Current Goal PBs:
    5k: Sub 19-min
    10k: Sub 40-min

Ultimate/Eventual Goal PBs:
    5k: Sub 17-min
    10k: Sub 35-min
    Half: Sub 1:20, some day when I can dedicate more time to the required mileage.
    Full: Sub 2:45, some day when I can dedicate more time to the required mileage.

I threw a lot of information out there, but I wanted to offer a decent picture of my current fitness and goals, as well as my concerns and reasons for posting to the forum. I think being able to consult with a coach and develop a good training plan that I know will benefit me is eventually what I'll do, as opposed to picking one off the internet and trying my best to tailor to my fitness. Especially when I don’t have any clue what my true fitness is.

Thanks,

AdamBryan

One rule of thumb is that most runs should be 2 to 3 minutes per mile slower than 5K race pace.  Your current 5K race pace is 6:40 MPM, so a good training pace is 8:40 to 9:40 MPM.  If your heart rate goes sky high at those paces, then run by pace and ignore the heart rate monitor.

Speed work is not very important.  I ran a 22:45 5K and a 3:51 marathon off of only easy paced running.  When I added weekly tempo runs, my marathon PR dropped to 3:49.  All of this was at ages 58 to 62 or so.  Your times will be a lot faster, but the principles are the same.  Run easy to build endurance.  After getting endurance, then add a little speed work.

There is no such thing as too much easy running.  But it is easy to do too much speed work.

Feeling the growl again

Gosh, you posted a lot of detail which is good but with limited context on your history/overall training it is hard to respond specifically to it all.

In general, forget the noise and the details.  At this point the more you run, the faster you will get.  Volume is way more important than obsessing about what you are doing with your speedwork.  And to throw southern heat into this, just forget about HR.  You are going to just have to go by effort.  Remember that generations of runners did very well without HRMs.

It's not necessarily true that you should have no medium days.  The problem is that newer runners almost invariably run too hard, so telling them to have medium days is just telling them to race even more workouts than they already are.  You have workouts (tempos, intervals, progressions) and easy days.  The fact is that easy days MUST be easy.  No more than 2 workout days per week with what you are doing, and whatever else you are doing has to be easy.  When you get to higher mileage and more runs per week, other options open up.  But you're not there yet.

If Zone 4 takes you up to 182 bpm and you think you can go above that comfortably in a tempo when your max recorded HR is 192...you are wrong.  You are racing the workout.

Tempo is classically defined as the pace you could maintain for an hour in a race, but you are only running 20-30 minutes.  Given your mileage you should focus on this time duration.  Frankly you aren't in shape for 40-55 minute tempos, which would be at a different pace anyways.

In general, without looking at anything, I would say yes, you are running intervals too fast.  Because almost all newer runners do.  As for intervals, smartly, I already detailed this so I don't have to repeat myself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AdamBryan

Thank you, both, for your replies. I posted my current training schedule and uploaded a decent amount of my running history going back to 2008, FWIW. It's not a complete history, but it's something.

I guess I have been racing my workouts, especially my tempo runs. It's hard not to want to push myself on 'hard' days to get as much out of the workout as possible. So the recommendation then is to cut out the speed intervals, and do 4 'easy' days (easy, recovery, and long runs) and two 'hard' days (tempo and progression)? With the idea being that simply increasing my mileage will build endurance and allow me to run further, faster. And this still applies even though my target distance is 10k (and 5k)?

At what point would you recommend including speed intervals? Is there a weekly mileage range or a duration of time at a specified weekly mileage range? Since I can run a sub 6-min mile now (fastest being about 5:30) and my goal times for 5k and 10k are not sub-6mpm, is it safe to assume that I don't technically 'need' speed intervals since I am already capable of running fast enough, I just need to build up my endurance? And that as I increase my weekly mileage and my goal times for 5k and 10k drop to sub-6mpm, then I can introduce speed intervals?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your time.

SMART Approach

Great advice above. Right now, your speed interval should be 100-200m or 20-30 sec fast striders. Run these hard but not all out focusing on form. Do 4-8 of these twice per week after your tempo work with full recovery between. One other day you can do some striders also to mix it up. This is plenty of speed work now. You need more miles and more aerobic fitness, no anaerobic fitness. Build the engine with more more and more miles. It is hard to grasp this but it is so true. Do it the right way, have patience and this will also this will help you remain injury free. Also, use the occasional race and true speed work for now. 6 months from now, maybe we can add to our advice.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

BeeRunB

If you're running your tempos by heart rate, then you'll naturally slow down in hot weather. With the same fitness and temperature being the only variable, you wouldn't be able to run a 5k or marathon at the same speed either. A marathon run in 80º will be much slower than one run in 50º.  In training, same thing. If you run tempos in a zone of 163-182, then your tempos will be slower in summer, but you still look for improvement in speed at the same HR relative to your first hot weather benchmark runs. Your speed in your less intense aerobic zones should also improve through the summer relative to your first few hot weather runs. If they aren't, then you might be overdoing it. Sometimes less is more in the summer. As for intervals, I find that doing them at 90% MHR is as good as 95% or higher. My anaerobic threshold is about 88-90% MHR (I've been tested) and I'm burning near 100% sugar for energy just being a little bit over (which means I'm using mostly anaerobic fibers), so for a distance runner this works fine for sharpening the anaerobic fibers and is a bit less stress on the body than pushing them at 95%.  If your speed in both the lower aerobic zones and around your AT heart rates is improving, then your volume or training load is in a good spot. Keep tabs on how you're body is feeling. Listen to it. Patience is always a virtue in running. Heart rate monitor training helps you to be patient as it will allow the body to choose your training speeds, and not your ego or impatient self that wants to get there too fast. Good luck. I'm a damn yankee living in Atlanta, and my body is still going "what the f----?", so I understand your plight through the heat.